Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Tech Support

StefanG -> Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/3/2007 8:13:54 PM)

Need some help. I'm simulating a league with real-players, its 2001 Barry Bonds is 37 years old and its the year he hit 73 home runs (in real-life); however, he continues to stay "worn out" regardless of the amount of rest received. I assume the game engine has calculated that his career is essentially over; however, in real-life he obviously has several more good years left. Is there anyway for me to fix/resolve this via the database, xml, or any other method before I simulate the 2001 season without Bonds? The same thing happened to McGwire in 2000.

Thanks in advance.

LetsPlay2 -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/3/2007 9:07:28 PM)

Wonder if Shaun will put a "enhancement" button in the 2008 edition.  It will probably be "clear"  [;)]

KG Erwin -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/4/2007 12:54:51 AM)

Actually, I'd think with improved conditioning and "other factors" (ahem), modern-era players should be peaking later than they did 20 or 30 years ago. I remember reading in the manual that the average "peak age" in PS was 28. Of course, actual mileage may vary. [;)]

It's easy to make jokes about substance abuse (especially after 1970 or so -- wasn't there a Pirates pitcher that pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid?).

However, the fact of the matter is that most professional athletes are better conditioned now, so the age factor shouldn't play as big of a role as it once did.

CrashDavis -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/4/2007 4:42:14 AM)

quote:

...so the age factor shouldn't play as big of a role as it once did.

I don't if I agree or not KG. If you mean, the age factor - and how it affects the 'peak age' of PS players - could stand to be tweaked for the modern-era of baseball, then I agree and would like to see the peak age of modern players be a bit older than 28. Maybe a peak of 32?

StefanG -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/4/2007 3:59:38 PM)

Does anyone know if there is anyway to "tweak" it?

Bustoff -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/4/2007 8:38:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
It's easy to make jokes about substance abuse (especially after 1970 or so -- wasn't there a Pirates pitcher that pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid?).

Dock Ellis claims to have done this on June 12, 1970. Details on this and other Dock Ellis weirdness can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis

Interestingly, his name expressed "roster style" is Ellis, D. Say it out loud once.[X(]

KG Erwin -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/5/2007 12:21:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

Interestingly, his name expressed "roster style" is Ellis, D. Say it out loud once.[X(]

[:D]

KG Erwin -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/5/2007 12:31:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrashDavis

Maybe a peak of 32?

Yes, say from 1985 or 1990 forward to now? Would be a nice tweak to add to PS 2008.

As a matter of fact, Shaun could alter the potential peak by two-year increments: 28-30-32.

This notion could spark some discussion.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/5/2007 3:00:38 AM)

I think that's a great idea-- give the user a drop-down menu with the various peak age options for them to select for their association. However, that would only work if you allow that option to be changed at a later date.

For example, if you start an association at a time when 28 would be a logical peak, then you set it that way. However, if you play it long enough that you come around to a more 'modern' peak range, you could then change it at that point to reflect the newer figures.

puresimmer -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/5/2007 2:14:14 PM)

I'll have one more look, but all analysis I have done still strongly supports players typically peak at 28 even in today's era. Bonds is most certainly an anomaly.

That said, I made some changes a few patches back to force a players true historical longevity to have a mjor influence on his retirement in PureSim. For outliers like Bonds, this leads to him playing a much longer career, so the original post in this thread should be handled now.

StefanG -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/5/2007 3:05:04 PM)

Bonds hasn't retired which is good and his stats are still what I'd expect them to be, the problem is his fatigue level.  It seems that once a player reaches the age of 36 or 37, they stay in a "worn out" state no matter how much rest they receive, so they get very little opportunity to be on the field regardless of how good he may still be.

LetsPlay2 -> RE: Real Players Careers Ending Too Soon (10/5/2007 4:12:09 PM)

I wonder if changing his age would work ??

I did that with Lefty O'Doul. I retired him as a pitcher, then I imported him as a player in his first player year. He was 32 by then. When he started he was 22 in 1919. I changed his age to 22. he won, before I stopped, 3 batting titles and his potential stayed high.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI