The WITP Wiki - Revisited (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

VSWG -> The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 12:14:09 AM)

Widell reminded me of the WITP Wiki again, and I think that this outstanding piece of work deserves more attention, and should be expanded. I'm going to work on it quite a bit during in the near future (if time permits), but everyone is welcome to help. In case someone has no clue what I'm talking about: http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Right now the Main Page has been expanded to include the 'List of Must Read Threads' and the 'List of AARs'. The previous content is still available in 'Game Mechanics' and 'Strategy & Tactics'. At the moment the Main Page is a work in progress.

I have the following in mind: I want to turn the 'List of Must Read Threads' into a portal to the Wiki. Many 'Must Read Threads' contain only a couple of posts with important information. These posts will be copy&pasted into the Wiki (with credits to the original poster, of course), and then the link to the forum thread will be replaced with a link to the relevant Wiki section. Other threads will remain in the list, especially in the 'Strategy' section, where most questions do not have simple answers, but should be discussed. The Wiki 'Strategy & Tactics' section will link to these threads, too, but also contain additional content. Ultimate goal will be that the 'List of Must Read Threads' and the Wiki Main Page are (more or less) identical. I suggest using the structure of the 'List of Must Read Threads' for both, since IMO it's table of content is simpler, and information is easier to access. I'm open for suggestions, though.

I think that the potential of this Wiki is enormous. As soon as it contains most of the information from the 'Must Read Threads' too, there won't be many questions regarding WITP that the Wiki CANNOT answer. Hopefully others will join Widell and me in this work. Editing the Wiki is really simple, just click on the 'Edit' button at the top of every page. If you need help, or have suggestion, you can either use the Wiki's 'Discussion' pages (also at the top), or post here, or send me a PM.

[img]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7240/iwantyouwitpsmall8ey.jpg[/img]

Widell -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 8:09:27 PM)

Kudos to VSWG that has the vision to bring this back to life. He's the one adding the content at the moment, while I'm doing more of the backoffice stuff to ensure the site and software is working. I encourage everyone to give this a go... and if someone with admin powers could imaging making this a sticky thread, it would of course help things

Helpless -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 8:40:30 PM)

..bookmarked..

Thanks to both of you guys! [&o][sm=sign0031.gif]

TommyG -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 9:06:09 PM)

Does anyone know how to do an index? What the manual, the forum threads, and the wiki all need is a useable index that will get the reader to the info. I generally make one half assed stab at looking somehing up then go right to the forums and ask. I will be glad to help in any way I can, but I have no idea how to start.

VSWG -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 9:43:15 PM)

Index? There's a search function in the Wiki, and this one actually works... [;)]

EDIT: I think I misunderstood what you meant with 'index'. If you're talking about a 'Table of Contents', then this is created automatically at the top of every page! All you have to do is to mark all titles as 'headlines' (5th button from the left above the edit box).

Widell -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 10:38:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyG
Does anyone know how to do an index? What the manual, the forum threads, and the wiki all need is a useable index that will get the reader to the info. I generally make one half assed stab at looking somehing up then go right to the forums and ask. I will be glad to help in any way I can, but I have no idea how to start.

As for indexing etc, I also hope that the structure of the Wiki in general will be at least decently intuitive. If you want to help out, I think you can check with VSWG as he's got the most solid vision of where things are going right now. I think there are some formatting plus of course also the content as such to work with

On the site there are links that introduce you on how to work with MediaWiki and how to create content. It's not really hard once you get started

VSWG -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/8/2007 11:12:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell

It's not really hard once you get started.

Very true! Two days ago I had no idea how a Wiki works. Today I've done this page:
http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Japanese_Industry

It's far from being finished, though. I just started copy&pasting information from the List of Must Read Threads (LMRT) into this chapter. Right now I'm copying everything that seems to be useful, without checking if it is already present (for instance in the Manual Project). Merging both sources will be the second step, and when doing this I want to compare information from both sources. A third step will be to make this look 'pretty', right now everything (especially the ToC) looks like a mess. Tommy, the ToC at the top was created by the Wiki, without me doing anything! [8D]

See also the discussion page for this chapter.

TheElf -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/9/2007 12:46:33 AM)

Impressive, someone should hire you to redo the manual!!!

VSWG -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/9/2007 1:11:43 AM)

Don't worry, Matrix pays me for doing this! [8D] That reminds me: hey Matrix guys, that check hasn't arrived so far. Can you please try sending it again...

[;)]

Big B -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/9/2007 2:34:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

[sm=innocent0009.gif]

Widell -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/9/2007 11:55:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

Well, that was really how the wiki started a long time ago. Someone, can't remember who it was, wanted to collect corrections to the manual as patches were released, and that lead to the wiki being put in place to collect addendum's to the manual. In theory, someone at Matrix could then go there and collect at least the information if not the proper format etc and shorten the leadtime to update the manual

I think we have left that idea now and is more in a General kind of guide kind of mode with the wiki. However, should Matrix ever decide to update the manual there's going to be a lot of information in the wiki for them to consider

VSWG -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/10/2007 11:01:00 PM)

I'm done with copying all content from 'Must Read Threads' in section II.A and the 'Manual Project' into the chapter about 'Japanese Industry':
http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Japanese_Industry

The (basic) info is now there, however the page should be re-organized, polished (especially the section titles) and some posts re-written. A good start for this chapter would be IMO the Japanese Economy Flowchart. It would be great if this was done by someone who actually knows something about Japanese industry... [;)] Comments about this page should go in here: http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Talk:Japanese_Industry

In particular, I'm looking for links to all those "What Jap. plane should I produce" threads, which could be collected here: Link. Wouldn't it be nice to avoid the 25th "Tony vs. Tojo" thread...? [;)]

VSWG -> RE: The WITP Wiki - Revisited (10/13/2007 12:11:00 AM)

I'm adding Lord Calidor's Manual to the Wiki at the moment - mostly copy&paste, but I corrected some errors in the Special Rules chapter:

1 West Coast Invasion
2 Chinese Partisans
3 Vietnamese Militia Units
4 Manchukuo Garrison, Soviet Activation
5 Coastwatchers
6 British Withdrawal
7 Zero Bonus
8 AVG bonus
9 P-39D / P-400 Maneuverability
10 Burma Road
11 Replacements for Sunken Ships (Respawn Rule)
12 Destroyed Air Units
13 Destroyed LCUs
14 Rescuing Ship Survivors
15 Rescuing pilots
16 Limitations to Chinese units

I'm not sure about the details of section 12 and 13, though.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI