Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

Scott_USN -> Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 6:28:50 AM)

Just wanting to ask. If it is addictive and maybe as good as say WITP of course two different games but just wondering if it is as good not sure what to compare it to.

Only reason I ask is because it seems like it would be difficult to make a ground war such as WWI fun and interesting. Reading some of the comments it seems to have surpassed that.

Scott_USN -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 6:40:09 AM)

Ahh hell I just going to buy it. Designer put this much work into his customers after selling the game has to be worth buying from.

Joel Rauber -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 7:54:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

Just wanting to ask. If it is addictive and maybe as good as say WITP of course two different games but just wondering if it is as good not sure what to compare it to.

Only reason I ask is because it seems like it would be difficult to make a ground war such as WWI fun and interesting. Reading some of the comments it seems to have surpassed that.

It has.

Frank deserves what ever small royalties he gets per sale.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 9:54:17 AM)

This is unequiocably an excellent game....except that you don't get pretty pictures.

It is both simple and subtle....a combination that is lacking in the wargaming world IMO....so rewards you wheter quick play or deep thought is what you enjoy.  Baddecisions will bite you....but usually not for several turns so you don't get wiped out immediately....at least not usually [:D].....while sometimes you dont' realise you've even made them until much later...

axeman109 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 5:47:24 PM)

Comaring to WITP I would say this is more fun. Many have said this but I'll say it again. This game is just plain fun. It's very playable and is not the massive time commitment of WITP. Honestly I've been playing GOA in one window while the computer does it's thing during it's part of WITP.

wurger54 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 6:03:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

This is unequiocably an excellent game....except that you don't get pretty pictures.

It is both simple and subtle....a combination that is lacking in the wargaming world IMO....so rewards you wheter quick play or deep thought is what you enjoy.  Baddecisions will bite you....but usually not for several turns so you don't get wiped out immediately....at least not usually [:D].....while sometimes you dont' realise you've even made them until much later...

I agree with SMK this game is very subtle. The first wargame I've ever played that 'felt' like chess. You think you are winning, but you aren't100% sure. [8|] A must for any WWI buff. It is a very decent strategic simulation. And highly recommended for anyone who likes a good competative game. The system is different enough to maintain interest for some time. I am both a WWI buff and a gamer, I'll be playing this for a while. The other thing I like about it is the turns move quickly. My history is with monster games. I can get a turn back out in about 15 minutes or less. It maintains a nice pace. Two thumbs up here. [8D]

Shawkhan -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 9:35:56 PM)

...Strangely enough, comparing GoA to WITP; the detail that goes into naval/air in WITP is recreated by the land forces in GoA to a great extent, while the abstracted land battles in WITP is more like the naval aspects of GoA, complete with the same type of summary screens for battle results.
...Land combat could be improved in WITP, naval combat leaves something to be desired in GoA.
...You can play the entirety of WWI in 12-20 hours in GoA. I have no idea how long it would take to play the entire war in WITP, but it has to be hundreds(if not thousands) of hours. Strange that WWI moves faster than WWII?

Lascar -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 10:27:25 PM)

One of the most enjoyable games I have played in years. The past few years the only game I have played regularly was Combat Mission and now GoA is moving into that preferential place for me.

kcole4080 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/27/2007 11:18:51 PM)

Let's face it, there aren't many WWI games out there, so if you have an itch for this topic, then GoA scratches that itch nicely.
There are many subtly different strategies & tactics to experiment with, so many replays are guaranteed, even just against the AI.

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/28/2007 5:18:43 PM)

Essential purchase for anyone interested in World War I. I find myself pondering each move as if I were playing a world chess championship. 

StkNRdr -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/28/2007 6:00:49 PM)

Scott_USN,

What are you doing??  You come in and ask if it is worth buying and then say you're buying it without giving us the chance to sing the praises of both the game and Frank.  This is very frustrating.  Don't ever do that again!!  [:-]

Bossy573 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/28/2007 8:05:50 PM)

BUY IT! (unless you now have 4 excellent games, GOA, CEAW, AT and SC2-WAW which are making it impossible to decide which one you want to play next...... when you are done with Halo 3 and NHL 08 on XBox 360. Seriously a GREAT time to be a gamer. [:)])

TheHellPatrol -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/28/2007 9:12:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

Ahh hell I just going to buy it. Designer put this much work into his customers after selling the game has to be worth buying from.
[X(]NO WAIT!!!!!!! STOP...............

[:D]Okay, now buy it![;)]

SMK-at-work -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/28/2007 11:06:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bossy573

BUY IT! (unless you now have 4 excellent games, GOA, CEAW, AT and SC2-WAW which are making it impossible to decide which one you want to play next...... when you are done with Halo 3 and NHL 08 on XBox 360. Seriously a GREAT time to be a gamer. [:)])

I have 3 of those games (missing AT at he moment) - I don't consider CEAW or SC-WAW to be within a bulls roar of GOA - even mentioning them in the same sentence is an insult to GoA!![8D]

Bossy573 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/29/2007 3:02:59 AM)

quote:

I have 3 of those games (missing AT at he moment) - I don't consider CEAW or SC-WAW to be within a bulls roar of GOA - even mentioning them in the same sentence is an insult to GoA!![8D]

Definitely see where you are coming from. GOA is a seriously deep game requiring much thought before making a move. As you pointed out, CEAW and SC2-WAW are "light" games but a heap o' fun nonetheless. I have played the heck out of CEAW against the AI and and am now enjoying a "break" with WAW, which is an absolute hoot. And the Blitzkrieg scenario on Advanced Tactics is a blast. Like I said, great times to be into this stuff.

The bad news is my wife wants to smash my PC into a million pieces but what are you gonna do? [:D]

SMK-at-work -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/29/2007 3:24:11 AM)

Get a divorce!![sm=00000016.gif][sm=00000436.gif]

Bossy573 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/29/2007 4:36:27 AM)

quote:

Get a divorce!!

This may soon not be a matter of choice. [sm=scared0018.gif]

barbarossa2 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/30/2007 5:03:47 PM)

Haha.... a divorce. yeah. [X(]

Well, watch out. I honestly think that the nail in the coffin of my first marriage was when within minutes of my wife and I having made love, she stepped into the bathroom. When she came back, I had my laptop in my lap and was dabbling with Norm Koger's, "The Operational Art of War".

I think a month later I heard the famous words, "We have to talk."

But it was for the best. ;D I am a much happier now than I was then. My last girlfriend was a Miss Germany finalist. And now I have a girlfriend 20 years younger than my ex, and shoot covers and organize a modelling agency for a magazine every woman between the ages of 18 and 25 wants to be on who lives between Salzburg and Munich. I am in the best shape of my life.

I used to be an engineer with a boring, boring desk job in a boring, boring town in the US.

Unless you have kids, go for the divorce! (I didn't say that) [:D]

Bossy573 -> RE: Hey folks silly question Is it worth buying? (10/31/2007 11:53:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barbarossa2

I honestly think that the nail in the coffin of my first marriage was when within minutes of my wife and I having made love, she stepped into the bathroom. When she came back, I had my laptop in my lap and was dabbling with Norm Koger's, "The Operational Art of War".

[sm=00000116.gif][sm=00000116.gif]

We're talking murder trial instead of divorce action there. LOL.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI