RE: A balanced playable game should be (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design

Terminus -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 2:08:29 AM)

[8|]

Gen.Hoepner -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 9:06:53 AM)

Well i think there are already the auto- victory conditions that can determine a victory for Japan. That's the only way to win the game if you play as IJ.
I managed to get the 1/1/43 victory conditions at least 2 times and i feel i've won those games, even if we decided to go on and lately i lost the war...

Mike Scholl -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 10:28:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

I think I find the sub-title a bit more objectionable "The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945" [:@]

How about "Defence of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere 1941-1946"? [:)]

How about "The Pathetically Weak takes on the Incredibly Strong and his Friends?" Really..., the answer to the thread title "A balanced playable game should be..., Checkers!" The War in the Pacific is not a "balanced" subject matter.

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 2:36:04 PM)

Amen.

Or perhaps we all are thinking wrongly? Perhaps "balance" is not achieved by FORCES alone - but by the conspiracy of forces, resources and position? Japan is like Germany under Fredrik writ large - with interior lines on a scale no one else ever had - and it has the possibility of establishing and defending a real autarky. Japan does NOT have to take the war to the Allies except to the extent it seeks autarky and defensive positions. And inherantly a land based air defense backed up by a mobile naval force and abetted by a significant submarine force and army is a strong position. Then too, Japan began with a signficant anti-Allied (that is, anti-colonial) psychological advantage (in East and SE and South Asia). It may be that these factors - had they not been squandered - make for a much more balanced contest than counting ships or planes might imply?

Mike Scholl -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 3:52:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Amen.

Or perhaps we all are thinking wrongly? Perhaps "balance" is not achieved by FORCES alone - but by the conspiracy of forces, resources and position? Japan is like Germany under Fredrik writ large - with interior lines on a scale no one else ever had - and it has the possibility of establishing and defending a real autarky. Japan does NOT have to take the war to the Allies except to the extent it seeks autarky and defensive positions. And inherantly a land based air defense backed up by a mobile naval force and abetted by a significant submarine force and army is a strong position. Then too, Japan began with a signficant anti-Allied (that is, anti-colonial) psychological advantage (in East and SE and South Asia). It may be that these factors - had they not been squandered - make for a much more balanced contest than counting ships or planes might imply?

And she has one major "Fredrikian" advantage in in the game already that she sorely lacked in real life...., a "unified command structure". That alone is probably at least a 25% boost in her game capabilities over her real life ones.

Dili -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 11:27:03 PM)

Well US also doesnt have a couple of loose cannons...

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 11:36:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

Amen.

And she has one major "Fredrikian" advantage in in the game already that she sorely lacked in real life...., a "unified command structure". That alone is probably at least a 25% boost in her game capabilities over her real life ones.

Amen. Except when Nemo and I play Japan!

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 11:36:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

Well US also doesnt have a couple of loose cannons...

Also Amen.

TulliusDetritus -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/6/2007 11:51:41 PM)

Amen. Except when Nemo and I play Japan! -- El Cid Again

But you already dropped that game, didn't you? That was in summer or spring if I remember correctly: those threads were truly funny -- full of unintended humour... And didn't Nemo "send" his "assassins" or he was merely bragging? [8D]

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/7/2007 12:00:51 AM)

Curiously, we ended up cooperating on his mod, Empires Ablaze, which is a variant of RHS.

TulliusDetritus -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/7/2007 12:11:20 AM)

Not necessarily "weird" or "curious". That's what "gentlemen" are supposed to do: you may disagree but you respect each other [;)] That's how it should work. Especially on the internet, where personal ad hominem attacks are so common.

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/7/2007 6:56:09 AM)

Well - I will certify Nemo is a gentleman - in the classical (but not English) sense of the word. Actually in the Irish sense. He is a professional and he has uniformy professional judgements about almost everything - if you can get his mind out of a game situation where he can stick it to the (hated?) English ???

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/18/2007 12:06:06 PM)

Another way to balance the game is to do something like RHSBBO. IF the American concept of focus on carrier air forces was in fact right, then NOT doing that should be a weaker hand - hence a more balanced game should occur.

Nemo121 -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/18/2007 11:20:18 PM)

LOL! just saw that comment about the English.... Never hate a people but do feel free to hate their government for what it ordered its minions to do. That's a pretty good rule for remembering that people are pretty much the same the world over.

el cid again -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/18/2007 11:26:46 PM)

Well - my own name is Cornish - and Cornwall was conquered in 917 ad. It was not a kind event - nor was the policy that followed - which among other things stamped out the language and religeon. I don't hate the English people either - but I don't like the policy of the Imperial regime - Imperialism with a capital I was an actual English political concept - perfected vs the Kelts in the British Isles before it was exported around the world. A lot of the problems of the modern world trace to its implementation - including the very creation of Iraq out of 3 ex Ottoman territories - in a form where minority Sunnies were put in place to lord it over everyone else - so they would need English support and arms - and would sell oil to get them! I profoundly wonder if we should still be honoring the policy of that era?

okami -> RE: A balanced playable game should be (11/18/2007 11:28:48 PM)

Just my two cents but....."a balanced playable game should be..." Chess! This is WWII it was not balanced and for one side it was not "playable". I play the Japanese and you need to relax and learn the golden rule of WWII history, THE ALLIES WON. Otherwise play EEO when El CID is finished with it's developement. There is no balance in war. Life throws you curves, try not to strike out. As I said just my two cents.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI