PureSim under Linux/Wine (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

jeremy7227 -> PureSim under Linux/Wine (11/5/2007 5:17:36 PM)

Hi All,

I am curious to know if anyone out there has tried to run PS2007 under WINE (or other Windows emulator) under Linux. I have come into a new PC that is a major upgrade hardware wise from my current one. I am not anti-Microsoft but I am anti-unnecessary spending. All I use my home PC for is E-Mail, Browsing, bookkeeping and PureSim. Hardly worth investing in a $200 OS for that.

So if you have some feedback, tips or tricks please share. I will also share my experiences as I try to make it work too.

Matrix may want to consider porting some of their titles to WINE or Cedega.

Jeremy

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: PureSim under Linux/Wine (11/5/2007 11:15:53 PM)

Just my 2 cents, but all the non-manager PCs we use here run Linux. The only obstacle I could imagine for adapting Puresim for such an OS would be the variety of Linux versions. I'm far from an expert in the field, but I know that there are various versions/releases/setups available for Linux. You mention WINE or Cedega, I've heard of Red Hat and here we use GNOME. Again, I don't know the inner workings of Linux from a can of paint, but I would imagine that with each different 'version', there would need to be different parameters to adapt to. Just a thought... and a rather bland one at that.

[>:]

jeremy7227 -> RE: PureSim under Linux/Wine (11/14/2007 5:12:36 AM)

Frozen - I luv ya but I there are more than a few things wrong with that post... I learned from a fortune cookie long ago, "Wise man says little."... And with that allow me to perform a core dump....

Here is a screen shot of how far PS will run with zero tweaking under (select your favorite distro) Linux with a product called CrossOver Linux. I happen to be running Mandriva Linux (a RedHat derivative) but I had the same experience under Ubuntu Linux (a Debian derivative), also tried Fedora 7 with the same results. I scrapped Fedora because, unrelated to this test, found it too cumbursome.

CrossOver Linux is an app that functions as an environment within the Linux desktop environment. It is a set of Windows APIs that tries really hard to facilitate the running of Windows developed programs under Linux. Unfortunately there were a few errors at install around .NET and OCX files not being present. I tried to add those to the CrossOver "Bottles" (their term for a collection of Windows APIs in a unique container - like Solaris containers or VMWare VMDKs but not as full featured). I will continue to try to tweak the CrossOver Bottle config to get past the main screen and actually in to play the game but I have low expectations.

Cedega is a competitior to CrossOver Linux that is especially designed for gamers who want to run high-end games like the EA Sports titles or Football Manager 2007 under Linux. The problem is Cedega costs $ - at least $15 but to get a full suite of drivers and support $59. I may or may not invest in testing with them.... since the purpose of this is to avoid paying for an OS license from Microsoft and reform my outlaw XP machine I have well past the point of diminishing returns when you factor in my time versus the $239 Vista Home premium license.

Is anyone else interested in the progress of my Quixotic sojourn into the world of Linux or am I whistling in the wind here?

[image]local://upfiles/19492/D13214EB8F7B4D649D79111CE736BA2A.jpg[/image]

dnelms -> RE: PureSim under Linux/Wine (11/14/2007 3:34:51 PM)

Not sure how it runs under the emulators, but remember IE is required to run PureSim. I know most Linux flavors come with FireFox.

jeremy7227 -> RE: PureSim under Linux/Wine (11/14/2007 9:42:57 PM)

The emulators come with a version of IE 5.01 and also you can get a Linux port of IE6. There are a few other options too. I have installed IE5.01.

It seems to have a problem with outdated .NET 2.0 and a message about ActiveX library xLIBC.OCX. I am not sure if moving that from my windows machine to the CL Windows Bottle will help any but I am going to try it out tonight.

Jeremy

jeremy7227 -> RE: PureSim under Linux/Wine (11/20/2007 6:38:26 AM)

My OS of choice is Mandriva 2008.0. I have installed Wine 0.49, Crossover Linux and Cedega 6.0.3 and attempted to run PS under each emulator with IE7 installed. No luck getting past the opening menu. Cedega gave the best debug info for why it failed to run but in the end... it failed to run. Out of date .NET framework and out of date dll's caused the game to not start... I think there was DirectX issue too. I tried and tweaked but never managed to get into the game.

I think my best option for avoiding Windows is to get VMWare or Xen (both free) working with Mandriva and create a Win2k or XP VM just to run PSim.

The lengths to which I will go to 1, not pay for a Windows license and 2, play PSBB know no bounds.

Jeremy

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI