The Effects of WWII on Career Sims (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

KG Erwin -> The Effects of WWII on Career Sims (11/6/2007 1:32:55 AM)

I found a comprehensive list of years lost to military service for the years 1942-1946. Some teams got hit worse than others. 1945 was the worst: for both leagues, this list totaled some 384 players.

For the record, the first big-league star to go was Hank Greenberg of the Tigers, in early 1941.

I found this list in the Sports Encyclopedia: Baseball, edited by Richard Neft and David Cohen. The version I have is the 7th, published in 1987.

Some of you may just disregard the war and its profound effect on MLB -- what if professional athletes had been exempted from the draft?

Anyway, I offer this up as food for thought.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: The Effects of WWII on Career Sims (11/6/2007 2:37:41 AM)

Are you pondering a women's "Leauge of Their Own" association?

[sm=00000622.gif]

KG Erwin -> RE: The Effects of WWII on Career Sims (11/6/2007 4:29:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

Are you pondering a women's "Leauge of Their Own" association?

[sm=00000622.gif]

You know, FS, it almost came to that for MLB in 1944-45. President Roosevelt decreed that MLB would continue, so the St. Louis Browns (?!) ended up winning the WS in 1944.

The Browns were the same team that signed the one-armed OF (Pete Gray). He will be in an association for 1945, as he played 61 games, believe it or not. He hit .218, with two doubles and 6 triples.

DonBraswell -> RE: The Effects of WWII on Career Sims (11/6/2007 6:14:39 AM)

KG, I try to play as though the war never happened. I would like to see how players perform with out loosing those years. How long and how good would Lou Gehrig play if he didn't get sick? But I don't think the game will let you.
Don

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI