We need more online Players! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

B52g -> We need more online Players! (9/12/2000 5:28:00 PM)

I just got the new SPWAW4.0 and installed it yesterday. I had never played against a live opponent in years of playing the Sp series. I AM VERY IMPRESSED! Someone by the handle of "MM" was kind enough to start a game with me and we were slugging it out in just a couple minutes. For the first time, I REALLY, had to think about what I was doing. It was a meeting engagement beween Germany and Russia. We both tried a reverse slope defense on the same hill, with him on one side and me on the other, so a game of cat and mouse broke out on a hill in the center of the battlefield. I dont think the AI ever did that. Very smooth play and the new opportunity fire keeps you involved while your opponent is in his turn. But I noticed that there are not many or no people in the Spwaw room waiting to play. If you have been hiding in your shell playing the AI like me, you should come on out and try an unpredictable human on for size. IMHO the new online play is a huge leap forward in the SP series. Absolutely outstanding... [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Fabs -> (9/12/2000 7:16:00 PM)

I would like to play against a human opponent. My only problem is that I can not dedicate large chunks of time to start and finish a Steel Panthers game, because of various professional and family pressures. Playing solitaire gives me total control over this. PBEM is too "iity bitty" and would not keep me interested. An online game would be great if it was possible to agree on playing a number of turns at a time and being able to brake off for a few days, something not many prospective opponents may find attractive. Another consideration is that of handicapping. Never having played against a human, I would want to have my first experiences with someone in similar circumstances, to avoid being humiliated too often. Perhaps one day... ------------------ Fabs

Kharan -> (9/12/2000 8:11:00 PM)

Well, with the default 3 minute turns, a 20 turn game lasts less than two hours. I'm in the lobby right now... [This message has been edited by Kharan (edited September 13, 2000).]

Leonidas -> (9/12/2000 9:05:00 PM)

HI johnC, we con meet again and bring it to an end this evening... Had some advantage because there seems something wrong with thw oob for the kv1 flame tank. had 100 flame shots available.. so long, mm

B52g -> (9/13/2000 3:27:00 AM)

MM: I noticed that you had half the hill on fire. My cable went out for about two hours, thats why we got knocked off. I made a bad mistake by not bying any towed 88s.

Windo von Paene -> (9/13/2000 3:37:00 AM)

quote:

Well, with the default 3 minute turns, a 20 turn game lasts less than two hours.
I have a question on this statement. How in the world can a turn only take 3 minutes??? I find that in an average scenarios, I'm lucky if a turn doesn't take a good 20 minutes or more. Just got the download finished last night at the office, so I'll be installing this evening, (if only I'd started the download with GetRight...But I thought "hey with this T1 line I shouldn't have any problems...Got the original full file with no problems...Then twice I got up to around 70 megs and then...........nothing. Arrrgh). Now I just need to hope that the MGN install doesn't fry my HD. Then hope that I can find some time to actually play.

Tombstone -> (9/13/2000 3:50:00 AM)

It adds excitement, and forces you to make decisions faster. I'll be in there once I'm up and running. Tomo

Windo von Paene -> (9/13/2000 4:03:00 AM)

Well I generally don't take a whole lot of time "planning", but just clicking the fire button five times for every infantry squad takes some time. I guess I'll just have to see how it plays once I'm up and running...

Don -> (9/13/2000 4:19:00 AM)

The turn times are adjustable - and 3 minutes isn't long enough, believe me! In the two games I've played online we've set the turns at 8 minutes, and in the middle of the battle you'll be wishing you had 10! Fabs, please don't worry about who you play. If you play someone better than you it is an opportunity to learn. I've only been playing since June and yesterday I played Drake online. Now Drake is a pretty good player, and I knew this, but figured losing isn't so bad if you can learn something. I came out with a draw ( but good thing it ended when it did [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]), and learned alot about the use of smoke and really watched how he formed his troops for the attack. I think in the next couple of weeks more and more gamers will be going to MGN. Yesterday there were six in there at one time, the most I've seen. Right now there are a few small problems to be worked out (like making it easier to join a game), but once those are fixed and more people get the word, it will be easy to find a game. Don

Colonel Klink -> (9/13/2000 4:22:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Fabs: PBEM is too "iity bitty" and would not keep me interested. Never having played against a human, I would want to have my first experiences with someone in similar circumstances, to avoid being humiliated too often.
first of all, i wouldn't knock PBEM until you try it. i have several gaming friends who are in a similar situation as you. Not enough time to devote large chunks of time to gaming. PBEM does the trick. This sounds like your "perfect" solution. I seriously doubt (but am not 100% sure) that u can "save" an online game in the middle and continue later. If so that is very cool feature. Second, its more "humiliating" to lose in "real time" than it is over the course of 1 - 1 1/2 months, which is how long my average pbem game lasts. Losing is not humiliating or at least it shouldn't be. Its a step to learning to become a better player. Play for fun and to learn. Finding the right partner is the trick and may take some effort or several games to achieve. I've been lucky enough to find a couple great pbem pards. One of them was the first i met, the other was somebody i ran into over the course of pbem'g. GL and have fun.

Kharan -> (9/13/2000 4:38:00 AM)

quote:

I seriously doubt (but am not 100% sure) that u can "save" an online game in the middle and continue later. If so that is very cool feature.
Sure you can. In fact, the game autosaves every turn, so you can resume a game when someone's connection breaks. I believe you can also play twosome against the AI, Gettysburg style. I played a second game today and 4 minutes was a little bit too hectic at times. About 5 min turns should be fine in 1000-1500 points battle, so that there is pressure and you have to prioritize tasks and can't micromanage everything. You'll also value those command interventions and time-outs.

Tombstone -> (9/13/2000 7:21:00 AM)

Losing is critical to growth. If you win all the time its time to find new opponents or make a concerted effort to reveal to your opponents why they lose to you repeatedly. Tomo

iggi -> (9/13/2000 8:01:00 AM)

You mean TCP/IP is supported?

Kerg -> (9/13/2000 8:15:00 AM)

I am just terrified at having my hard drive whacked by installing MGN. I am not that computer wise and a hard drive wipe would be horrible for me. I think I will wait til they find out why it crashes some systems.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI