Supply circles (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

Lord_Calidor -> Supply circles (11/7/2007 9:57:23 PM)

What do the little numbers in supply circles represent? Percentage, tons of supply, smth else...?
I know abt supply routes and general flow of supply, how different types of terrain and transport links affect it, but cant seem to grasp the concept of actually resupplying the units. For ex. a unit of divisional strength sits in a fully supplied friendly hex, which has "42" inside its supply circle mark. If the unit's internal supply level is 50%, HQ is nowhere in sight (non factor), how much supply I can expect it will receive in the beginning of next turn? Any formula to calculate this would be extremely appreciated.

DeadInThrench -> RE: Supply circles (11/8/2007 6:45:36 AM)

Hmmmm.... I believe I can answer your questions (far out <g>).

First, the numbers in the little supply circles are the actual supply rate in that particular hex. This is based on the Effective Supply Capability as can be seen in the Situation Briefing report... and minor variations from that based on interdiction actually varrying from hex to hex, as well as the supply trace.

As far as how this translates to REAL supply.... unless you are using the High Supply option, reduce the supply levels by 33%. Also, if a unit moved in the previous turn, reduce it by another 33%. There is also another reduction of 33% if in night turns.

I did a test with this in the Italian East Africa scenario.... on a hex that had an 84. With this, the supply level gained by a unit that did not move should be 55 and for a unit that DID move, 37.

But, what I got were 50 and 37. So, the guess here is that there is a cap of how much supply that can be gained in a turn, of 50.

These gains... are direct adders to the supply level of a unit. In other words, if a unit is at 45% supply level, and they gain 37, they will then be at 82%.

DiT

P.S. Yeah, important to know that a unit that does not move, gains supply 50% faster than if it moves. Of course, if you can move to a hex that has twice the supply rate, then you are better off moving.

DeadInThrench -> RE: Supply circles (11/15/2007 2:21:19 AM)

Just wanna say here is I did some more testing on this and...

The one thing I left out in my previous post is the formations supply percentage, being a direct multiplier on how much supply the units in it's formation actually get.

Then there is the case of HQ Bias supply.... incresing the actual amount of the supply that units get by 1.5, if adjacent. Must be a cooperating HQ, but I have done some testing and higher level HQs or multiple HQs, have no greater affect. So, guess the only significance of higher HQs right now is providing the extra supply to units where their formation HQ is not adjacent.

Then there is the case of supply units. These can have a major impact. Increase the level of all hexes within the Force Supply Level radius by one level (e.g. Limited Supply, 50%, becomes Normal Supply, 75%) up to the maximum (Full Supply). You will see this in the hexes in the little supply circles. So, this is an increase but also, supply units multiply the supply gained by adjacent cooperative units by 1.5. So, in the case of a unit that would otherwise be at Minimal Supply (25%) an adjacent supply Unit would first increase the supply level in the hex to Limited Supply, 50%, and then multiply the supply gained by the unit by 1.5, giving an overall increase of 3x. So, that is pretty significant, and it is thus wise to use Supply Units effectively, particalarly for units that are not in Full Supply hexes.

Then there is the case of Railroad Repair. Hehe... at first I thought those units with picks and shovels were just worker units with no other function. Wrong! Then can repair rail hexes that are damaged if they start their turn there, and also influnce where autmatoic repair occurs.

Yeah, 'An army marches on it stomach' and in TOAW3, ya gotta get your supply net in order and handle supply effectively if you want to succede in your campaigns.

Hmmm... the OTHER thing... Readiness... this is as important as Supply but pretty much goes up and down by itself. The only thing I have found that increases Readiness recovery is not moving (even if you attack) a unit, which increases Readiness recovery by around 50%.

DiT

DeadInThrench -> RE: Supply circles (11/18/2007 3:06:02 AM)

What the heck..... still were some things I couldn't understand on how supply worked so did some testing and am posting the results here, in case anyone is interested.

There is a difference between Force Supply Radius and 'supply path'. The former extends over all hexes while the latter must be traced along valid hexes. So, if your FSR is 4, and you have unmuddied roads coming from a supply point, you can trace a path (that doubles back more or less) of 5, 6, 7, or whatever, hexes as long as it stays within the 4 hex radius. Roads that are not connected, or go outside the FSR and then back, do not work for this purpose.

Understanding this, for Full and Normal supply, cleared up a lot for me. Limited supply, is the same except it can be traced over all passable hexes.

Also, apparently the supply unit bonus (an increase of one supply level) is calculated AFTER supply is calculated normally but BEFORE terrain affects are applied. Terrain affects are only applied to units in Limited and Minimal supply, and thus if the supply unit bonus increases a hex from Limited to Normal supply, the hex supply level is not decreased due to terrain.

Whatever,

DiT

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI