Game suffer slowdowns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Napoleon in Italy >> Napoleon in Italy Support

Hidde -> Game suffer slowdowns (11/9/2007 12:53:19 PM)

Hi
A couple of questions and a problem after two days playing.

1 I can see how the enemy general command radius change between yellow and black. Unlike my generals he can use rally
regardless. Minor thing, but is that intended?

2 In some of my battles so far I've had two generals. They both have their command radius intact and are changing
between active and inactive. When active they can both rally. No way to tell if the bonus for both is active but it
made me wonder.

3 My problem. About halfway through each battle the game suffers a considerable slowdown. Left-click takes 4-5
seconds to register. Units move very slow. The pause after pressing end turn can be several minutes long. One time
this slowdown continued on the strategic map after a battle. Not the whole map though, but parts of it!?

The new stuff is very nice and game as fun as ever but those slowdowns makes it close to unplayable. Hope there is some way to fix this.
My video card is old (GeForce4 Ti 4600) but it has 128MB RAM so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Erik Rutins -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/9/2007 1:04:02 PM)

Regarding the slowdowns, have you tried reducing the FPS setting to see if that helps? I'm not sure what would be causing that - do you have any background processes running that might be periodically consuming a lot of CPU time?

Hidde -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/9/2007 4:36:29 PM)

No background processes that I'm aware of [:)]
I checked and saw that the cpu-usage was 5-10% when I wasn't doing anything.
Anyhow, I just finished a battle about the same size as the earlier ones and this time
there were no slowdown. Go figure?

Hidde -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/10/2007 4:44:02 PM)

Ok, it seems to have been a temporary improvement.
The next battle was as bad as before. I made a copy and installed the game on my Vista comp. That didn't work.
The game stopped to register my clicks totally within a minute of play in the strategic map.
Error-message after I ctrl-tab-del tells me I lack a Window component:Auto Play Application.
Well, no luck with Vista and as the game on my XP-comp is unplayable I just have
to take a break and see if anything happens. No one else has this problem I suppose.

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/11/2007 12:05:33 AM)

Hidde, did you set the fps down to 8 like Erik recommended?

What speed CPU do you have? How much system memory(RAM) do you have on that XP system?

Do you have any applications(like virus scanners or defragmentors) that are scheduled to run off & on throughout the day when you might be in the middle of a game of NiI?

As far as the error msg on Vista, I ran into that one, too, and if you read the "readme" file in the NiI game folder, you will see that that message is harmless, but if it annoys you, they have instructions on how to get rid of it. Basically, you have to download a file and place it in your c:\windows\system32 folder.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that Hussar Games didn't consider 1280x1024 resolution important enough on Vista to hold off shipping until that resolution is supported, but NiI does run on Vista in 1024x768 resolution.

Luckily, my gaming tower has XP, so I can run NiI in all it's 1280x1024 glory there, and it looks beautiful! I haven't even played much NiI on it yet, but I will this weekend, and If I have the slowdown problem like you, I'll report back in this thread.

Good luck!

Hidde -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/11/2007 1:06:41 PM)

No, I forgot about the fps-settings. I will try that now. That's why I will not take a break as I wrote (and the fact that I gave the AI +10 in experience and myself -10. Hubris on my part.)
I have an old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.80 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM. No scheduled applications running.
About Vista. Nice to hear it's harmless. I can live with that. But the fact remains, I was only able to play for about a minute on Vista before the game stopped to register any input from me. You played some on Vista I understand.No problem for you?
I have a separate Vista comp with dual core, 2GB RAM and Geforce 8800, I might add.

HussarGames -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/11/2007 3:26:31 PM)

Please see the readme for Vista compatibility. Also try to set the FPS to 8 in options and see how it goes. Animations will be less smooth, but performance should improve considerably.

Updating your video and sound drivers to the latest version is also a good idea.

Hidde -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/11/2007 6:12:31 PM)

Ok,I see I should have looked at the read me. Feel a bit silly now.
Didn't think that fps could be of much importance in a game like this. My last battle went smooth as silk. A very exiting but costly victory were the Austrians had three batteries on a mountain at hight 4. I suffered 300 casualties more than them but they were driven off the field.
Vista - run as administrator; I've seen that solution with other games but I always forget [:@]

2gaulle -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/12/2007 6:31:59 AM)

I'm on XP, and I have the same slowdown, whis fps at 8.

HussarGames -> RE: Game suffer slowdowns (11/20/2007 3:25:30 PM)

The Vista computer we have has an NVidia Geforce4 card (Asus TI4200 IIRC).
I am puzzled by this slowdown problem, since none of our testers have reported anything like it. We try to look into it.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI