RE: Its dead Jim (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

wdolson -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/25/2007 2:37:24 PM)

The new 64 bit processors take pairs of memory sticks.  Most have 2 GB or 4 GB.  I'm not sure you can get 3 GB RAM.

Western Digital has a good 500 GB drive.  I've installed 3 of them now.

Bill

Nomad -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/25/2007 2:40:38 PM)

Make sure you get at least a 600W power supply - you will need it - and a 750W would be better.

marky -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/25/2007 3:25:32 PM)

64 bit?

u dont mean...

DUN DUN DUUUNNN!!!

VISTA?!?!?

[:D]

or am i thinking of sumthing else and about to feel like a total schmuck? [:D]

hmm yah im only going with high quality parts, western digital and raptor i think are the best right?

as for the mobo i have not a clue thats where im weakest in

much to learn i still have hmm yes!! [:D]

marky -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/25/2007 3:26:43 PM)

the guy at MPC reccomended Corsair Dominator RAM, but im a lil nervous about that cooling thingy[:D]

rtrapasso -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/25/2007 4:54:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Dual cores run hotter than single cores and quad cores run very hot.  They are also very expensive.  The weather is getting colder in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment, so you might not be too worried about it now, but next srping you might find it impossible to keep your room cool enough to sit at the computer without passing out from heat stroke.

More seriously for the electronics, have lots of cooling fans in the case and one of those dual or quad cores might still run too hot.  The dual core I built for my father is used for Photoshop.  A few weeks after he got it, the computer started seizing up when running Photoshop.  Turned out he was still a little shy on cooling, even with the fans I put in there.  Hooking up one more fan appears to have made the difference. 

Real time games will probably tax the system more than Photoshop does.

The newer computers do put out a lot of heat though.  I have my everyday computer underclocked because the office was getting too hot.  It still isn't great in the summer, but tolerable with extra air conditioning in the office along with the central air in the house.

Bill

Is "underclocking" your processors an easy task?

wdolson -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/26/2007 2:50:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

64 bit?

u dont mean...

DUN DUN DUUUNNN!!!

VISTA?!?!?

or am i thinking of sumthing else and about to feel like a total schmuck? [:D]

hmm yah im only going with high quality parts, western digital and raptor i think are the best right?

as for the mobo i have not a clue thats where im weakest in

much to learn i still have hmm yes!! [:D]

All the new systems are 64 bit these days, even if they are running MS-DOS, the hardware will be 64 bit. That's part of being "Vista ready". The system I put together recently is running Windows 2000, but the hardware is 64 bit. I will be turning it into a multiple boot machine later for work purposes, but for now, it's running Win 2K.

Bill

wdolson -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/26/2007 2:56:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

It's a simple setting in the BIOS. When you boot your machine, there is usually a message that pops up saying "hit XX key for setup". On a lot of systems, it's the DEL key, but it varies depending on the manufacturer.

Once in the setup screens, there is usually a section for processor settings. Overclockers use these settings to crank their systems, but you can also set the processor slower than it's rating. I bumped mine down from 2 Ghz to around 1.5 Ghz and it made a big difference in the heat output. I was also able to safely slow down the processor fan so the thing runs a lot quieter (I installed a large heat sink with a fan speed control). The computer produces a very soft whirring sound that is only noticable when the room is completely quiet.

Some systems may not have these settings. All Asus mother boards allow you to control the processor speed.

Bill

rtrapasso -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/26/2007 3:20:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

It's a simple setting in the BIOS. When you boot your machine, there is usually a message that pops up saying "hit XX key for setup". On a lot of systems, it's the DEL key, but it varies depending on the manufacturer.

Once in the setup screens, there is usually a section for processor settings. Overclockers use these settings to crank their systems, but you can also set the processor slower than it's rating. I bumped mine down from 2 Ghz to around 1.5 Ghz and it made a big difference in the heat output. I was also able to safely slow down the processor fan so the thing runs a lot quieter (I installed a large heat sink with a fan speed control). The computer produces a very soft whirring sound that is only noticable when the room is completely quiet.

Some systems may not have these settings. All Asus mother boards allow you to control the processor speed.

Bill

Good to know!! [8D]

AW1Steve -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/29/2007 10:37:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

I think it is sleeping [:D]

[8|]Yeah , with the fishes. [X(]

AW1Steve -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/29/2007 10:40:05 PM)

[:)] So Marky . are you back with us yet? [:)]

marky -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/29/2007 10:51:02 PM)

yessum, tho there is no computer except this ancient relic, tho there should be a trip to the computer store tonight, if mama-san doesnt procrastinate AGAIN[X(]

marky -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/29/2007 10:54:02 PM)

also i am suffering severely from lack-of-WITP-itis

and lack-of-other-games-itis

AW1Steve -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/29/2007 10:57:52 PM)

[:)] I hope Mama lets you near the computer after the last one. Have you figured out what software the new PC should come loaded with? Might I recommend typing tudor and spelling master? (Sorry I can't resist. I have the same problem with my neices and nephews, they think they have to text everything , even when they ahve a full keyboard).  Good luck on the new PC. [:)]

TulliusDetritus -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/30/2007 12:05:07 AM)

AW1Steve, as long as the "milwaukee pc" guys do not talk with the angry sergeant (a.k.a. "mom") Marky is safe [8D]

-Where are the 2 PC's, Marky?
-Oh... in good hands, don't worry... in a place called 'Beijing PC'.

EDITED:
same here: good luck with that new PC [:)]

AW1Steve -> RE: Its dead Jim (11/30/2007 12:19:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

AW1Steve, as long as the "milwaukee pc" guys do not talk with the angry sergeant (a.k.a. "mom") Marky is safe [8D]

-Where are the 2 PC's, Marky?
-Oh... in good hands, don't worry... in a place called 'Beijing PC'.

EDITED:
same here: good luck with that new PC [:)]

[:)]He might want to consider changing his "sig"line . Although I'm sure an "electron trail" is not as dangerous as a "paper trail" , you can't be too carefull. And "Computers fear me... for i am...
Attila the Merciless King of the Doomed PCs " , is really asking for it.[:D]

marky -> RE: Its dead Jim (12/1/2007 8:06:29 PM)

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI