Happy Thanksgiving (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

MineSweeper -> Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 5:21:54 AM)

Everybody have safe and wonderful Holiday .....[img]http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/10.gif[/img]

I have to leave town in the morning....[img]http://bestsmileys.com/cars/23.gif[/img]

Mike Scholl -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 6:20:16 AM)

I'm headed out too..., may we all stuff ourselves into a torpor in the true spirit of the holiday...

Terminus -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 1:01:47 PM)

Gonna be quiet here for a few days. Except for the gentle sound of you guys stuffing yourselves into a torpor in the spirit of the holiday...[:D]

Have a good one.[;)]

captskillet -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 2:03:12 PM)

Turkey & Cowboys Thur.........Horns/Ags & LSU/Hogs on Friday.............it just dont get much better than this.......................HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!! [&o]

rtrapasso -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 2:07:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Gonna be quiet here for a few days. Except for the gentle sound of you guys stuffing yourselves into a torpor in the spirit of the holiday...[:D]

Have a good one.[;)]

Don't eat the whole turkey by yourself!! [img]http://bestsmileys.com/thanksgiving/1.gif[/img]

Nomad -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 3:09:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Have a good one.[;)]

Don't eat the whole turkey by yourself!! [img]http://bestsmileys.com/thanksgiving/1.gif[/img]

Do Danes eat turkey on our Thanksgiving Day? [8D]

Apollo11 -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 3:11:56 PM)

HI all,

Happy holidays to our USA friends!

Leo "Apollo11"

Terminus -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 5:35:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

quote:

Have a good one.[;)]

Do Danes eat turkey on our Thanksgiving Day? [8D]

I'm sure some do, but not because of that, obviously. Besides, the serving of whole birds is virtually unheard of in this country.

Mynok -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 6:01:07 PM)

quote:

I'm sure some do, but not because of that, obviously. Besides, the serving of whole birds is virtually unheard of in this country.

How do you grow half birds? [:'(]

Big B -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 6:05:11 PM)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Speedysteve -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 8:24:03 PM)

Yes. Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends[:)]

Charbroiled -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 9:33:48 PM)

Just curious...

Do other countries have a holiday which is centered around eating and where you are allowed (required) to eat 4 times more food then you should in a single meal?[&:]

niceguy2005 -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 10:10:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

HI all,

Happy holidays to our USA friends!

Leo "Apollo11"

Thank you friend Apollo. Hope you are well also this upcoming weekend.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/21/2007 10:12:58 PM)

Happy family gatherings, turkey and a couple glasses of wine.  It doesn't get more restful than that. [>:]

May the troops whereever they are also find rest for the holiday.

Roger Neilson II -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 12:20:47 AM)

Yes, Xmas....

And drink yourself into oblivion....

Roger

VSWG -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 4:06:06 AM)

Happy Thanksgiving! I heard there's a turkey shortage in the US? [;)]

[image]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/3638/turkey20doge16rf8.jpg[/image]

Coach Z -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 5:02:40 AM)

MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY.
COMBINES TWO OF MY FAVORITE THINGS.....
FOOD & FOOTBALL!!
[sm=00000436.gif]

AU Tiger_MatrixForum -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 9:14:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coach Z

MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY.
COMBINES TWO OF MY FAVORITE THINGS.....
FOOD & FOOTBALL!!
[sm=00000436.gif]

Too much of the first leads to missing the second.

denisonh -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 11:50:12 AM)

Not if the games don't start until 2030.........

Hapyp Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans at home and abroad.

Terminus -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 11:57:14 AM)

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends; stay safe and remember: stop eating BEFORE you explode...[;)]

RUPD3658 -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 12:03:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Just curious...

Do other countries have a holiday which is centered around eating and where you are allowed (required) to eat 4 times more food then you should in a single meal?[&:]

They must. Every Greek, Italian, and Polish grandmother I know has this as a tradition for ANY family gathering. [;)]

Big B -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 7:23:38 PM)

Trivia question;

Speaking of the USA's Thanksgiving holiday tradition, does anyone know when the first National Proclamation of Thanksgiving was, as opposed to infrequent local proclamations? (hint: it had nothing to do with pilgrims and Indians).

JeffroK -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 11:21:03 PM)

Why aren't you'all celebrating on Thursday 29th, I thought this National Holiday tradition was celebrated on the last Thursday of November??

JeffroK -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 11:22:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Trivia question;

Speaking of the USA's Thanksgiving holiday tradition, does anyone know when the first National Proclamation of Thanksgiving was, as opposed to infrequent local proclamations? (hint: it had nothing to do with pilgrims and Indians).

Some years after Canada started celebrating Thanksgiving in rememberance of Frobishers discovery of Newfoundland.

rtrapasso -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 11:51:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Why aren't you'all celebrating on Thursday 29th, I thought this National Holiday tradition was celebrated on the last Thursday of November??

4th Thursday in November, which USUALLY works out to the last Thursday, but not always.

rtrapasso -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/22/2007 11:57:30 PM)

quote:

Trivia question;

Well, there was one by the Continental Congress in 1777 (but it arguably wasn't the US then)... Washington is credited with one in 1789, and there were sporadic ones after that. It really didn't become official until Lincoln declared the LAST Thursay of November as Thanksgiving (started in 1863). (NPR did a piece on this not long ago).

BTW, FDR changed it later to the 4th Thursday.

Big B -> RE: Happy Thanksgiving (11/23/2007 12:38:40 AM)

Cigar [;)]

The first nationally observed (by act of Congress) Thanksgiving Day was proclaimed on Nov 1st 1777 - to be observed on Thursday Dec 18th 1777, and was the first observed as the Continental Army entered winter quarters at Valley Forge.
It was in thankfulness for the victory at Saratoga, and the nation surviving the year. Thanksgiving day was observed (by act of Congress) every year thereafter for the remainder of the war - 1777 through 1784.
It was again observed in 1789 by order of President Washington, and off and on thereafter, but was not made permanent until the FRD administration.

So Thanksgiving Day, as a nationally observed holiday, dates to the Revolutionary War, ...not the Pilgrims.[:)]

Perhaps a change in traditional holiday decoration is in order?

B
quote:

quote:

Trivia question;

Well, there was one by the Continental Congress in 1777 (but it arguably wasn't the US then)... Washington is credited with one in 1789, and there were sporadic ones after that. It really didn't become official until Lincoln declared the LAST Thursay of November as Thanksgiving (started in 1863). (NPR did a piece on this not long ago).

BTW, FDR changed it later to the 4th Thursday.

[image]local://upfiles/16855/4CF343E5B8E646C4A882F4213ECC8A8E.jpg[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI