SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support

SmittyG -> SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 4:28:12 PM)

Hi All,

I have installed the new HCCE. Everything seems to work OK except the SE. I get as far as the dialog box where I pick a battleset. The background for the maps comes up, but no maps and then it crashes. This occurs with both old and new battlesets.

Before installing I removed anything with "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel. However, there was lots or debris left around on my hard drive from earlier versions.

Anyone have any suggestions.

TIA,
Smitty

BlindOldUmp -> RE: SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 5:01:25 PM)

Clean and Defrag your HD before reinstalling.

Clean: My Computer > Pick the HD > Properties > General > Disk Cleanup > the Windows hide so keep an eye peeled
Defrag: My Computer > Pick the HD > Properties > Tools > Defragment Now > Defragment

Both take a while depending on the last time you did either so be patient.

TonyE -> RE: SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 5:45:56 PM)

Hi Smitty,
   If you are able to get to the 'Select Battleset' screen, click the 'Battlesets' button and then navigate to the correct HCE installation directory, select a file and click OK.  Does it then work without the crash?

SmittyG -> RE: SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 7:26:28 PM)

Hi Skip, Tony,

I've cleaned and defragged and re-installed 3 times. No Luck.

When the dialog box comes up right after the artwork, there is a button labeled "Battlesets". Selecting that button takes me to a file listing, which has the battleset files (.RES). I am in the correct folder. When I select one of those, I am immediately taken back to the original battleset dialog box that first came up after the artwork. When I select a battleset at that point, it crashes again.

I have had many versions of Harpoon Classic....HC2002...HCgold, etc on this machine at one time or another, so I suspect there might be something hanging around in the registry. Any ideas where I could look to clean it out.

Thanks,
Smitty

TonyE -> RE: SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 7:54:46 PM)

Okay, thanks to Herman Hum having the same issue and working thru some stuff there may be a fix (still clueless why there is a problem).  Do you have a file called harpoon8.dll in your new HCE installations? 

I'll PM you with a place to download it in case you don't.

SmittyG -> RE: SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 8:26:16 PM)

Hi Tony, Skip,

My apologies for for a stupid mistake on my part. Its been so long since I played the game, I forgot I was in 1600x1200 and the scenario editor won't work at that screen resolution.

Thanks for responding so fast.

Smitty

TonyE -> RE: SE - Crash - General Protection Fault (11/21/2007 8:30:39 PM)

Hehe, no problem and good to get that out, hadn't thought to mention the SE not working at 1600x1200 and beyond.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI