Zooming into the Group Window. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

mack2 -> Zooming into the Group Window. (11/22/2007 6:27:25 AM)

In the old versions, I was able to zoom into "unit" level with the Group Window, and still able to use the regular Group window things like attack, move etc, very helpful when you need to finesse your group into attacking a specific target/ship or when you want to attack certain parts of a group, or move between defensive positions.

Is this still possible? Have I missed an option somewhere? Now I would have to guess where to move, and it's much less useful than the old versions.

TonyE -> RE: Zooming into the Group Window. (11/22/2007 6:46:02 AM)

Nope, I killed it off a couple years back :) because I couldn't stand corrupting the group window with units, especially since I couldn't do anything with the units showing there.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1621216#

mack2 -> RE: Zooming into the Group Window. (11/22/2007 7:09:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Nope, I killed it off a couple years back :) because I couldn't stand corrupting the group window with units, especially since I couldn't do anything with the units showing there.

What do you mean by "could't do anything with the units"? I always used to be able to move, shoot, and order the units at that level, with a better picture of what was around.

Would it be possible to be able to allow moving groups using the unit window? As that is what I wanted to see.

Not being able to move/fire with the "unit level" showing means I can't order my units as effectively as I used to be, and it's pretty disappointing. I expect that now I will lose alot more units than I should from getting hit by enemy targets I can't move around properly, and attacks being much less accurate as I can't get into an accurate weapon range to hit multiple targets (will be especially annoying when using shorter range weapons against fleet/ship targets, in a whole taking away a level of control from me.

I lost 75% of a strike of intruders as I was unable to accurately avoid a battery of AAA on one of the new westpac missions.

Another thing I always used this for was attacking with submarines. Most subs need to get within a few miles of a target to make a good shot (especially with poor old ex-soviet 3rd world operated subs) and this was much easier with the zoomed in Unit window.

TonyE -> RE: Zooming into the Group Window. (11/22/2007 6:54:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

What do you mean by "could't do anything with the units"? I always used to be able to move, shoot, and order the units at that level, with a better picture of what was around.

Would it be possible to be able to allow moving groups using the unit window? As that is what I wanted to see.

Not being able to move/fire with the "unit level" showing means I can't order my units as effectively as I used to be, and it's pretty disappointing. I expect that now I will lose alot more units than I should from getting hit by enemy targets I can't move around properly, and attacks being much less accurate as I can't get into an accurate weapon range to hit multiple targets (will be especially annoying when using shorter range weapons against fleet/ship targets, in a whole taking away a level of control from me.

I lost 75% of a strike of intruders as I was unable to accurately avoid a battery of AAA on one of the new westpac missions.

Another thing I always used this for was attacking with submarines. Most subs need to get within a few miles of a target to make a good shot (especially with poor old ex-soviet 3rd world operated subs) and this was much easier with the zoomed in Unit window.

HC has always been group driven. The only way to plot a specific course for an individual unit is to split it from the parent group into its own group (and then center that unit in the formation editor).

To prove to myself that I'm not too crazy I pulled up HC97 (where the units showing the Group window thing was added). See the attached screenshot, the selected unit is a formation patrol but you'll see the active group (see the mini report window) is the airfield, all you can do to the aircraft is change their sensor settings and only if you zoom out far enough to get the Unit window back...

I think you'll see faded unit icons in the Group window (you still won't be able to give them individual courses, only groups) long before you would see the ability to plot group courses in the Unit window.

[image]local://upfiles/20766/0728A755E15A4CF58A0DAB3934CD3E61.jpg[/image]

CV32 -> RE: Zooming into the Group Window. (11/22/2007 7:05:14 PM)

Just a note of confirmation for Tony's reply on this issue, so that he is reassured about his remaining mental stability. [:D]

mack2 -> RE: Zooming into the Group Window. (11/23/2007 3:19:54 AM)

I don't think you understand quite what I'm asking.

I'm not talking about moving patrols etc in the Unit window.

I am talking about:
1) Being able to zoom in the Group window to a "Unit" level view, which shows these invisble patrols, and (when attacking a ship formation), every individual ship, which each ship or planes weapon range circles being visible.
2) In this view, being able to order the Selected group to move/attack. Assuming you have a single sub or a single group of planes, you would use this to get into a optimal firing position, or use it to thread the needle of harder defense, or to target a specific ship with the weapons, at maximum range to reduce time around the target. These are not patrols in a base, they are launched planes or existng ships/subs.

That picture you took is exactly what I want. You have just chosen the wrong type of unit to "move". It's not about moving patrols, it's about being able to more effective move your own units.

Without this you have to move your formations in the Group window, based on a guess of how your move order will cause them to move towards the targets show in the Unit Window.

In that picture, if you detached that group of planes into it's own Unit (Which would show the active unit as the plane group in the report window), and then zoomed in, you should be able to order it around normally.

Rembebered another thing I used it for, attacking submarines so I could launch the torp right ontop of the sub.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI