DE-RS Supply Cooperation (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

DeadInThrench -> DE-RS Supply Cooperation (12/2/2007 7:16:58 PM)

I have been playing Erik Nygaard's Double Eagle - Rising Sun scenario (Russio Japanese War) and some concerns relative to the unit cooperation systems not necessarily the scenario design.

Erik has a different symbol color scheme for each of the different Japanese armies, has the formation support set to 'army support', and as far as combat cooperation is concerned, this works (is realistic) IMO.

But, the problem that I see, is with supply. With this scheme, each group of units just needs ANY HQ unit and ANY supply unit adjacent (if in the same army) and it gets max supply. In other words, no need to keep the units of an individual brigade or division in any kind of proximity. Instead, you may as well view the individual brigades, HQ and supply units, within each army, as generic and use them interchangably, not paying any attention to their brigade or divisional structure.

Hmmmm.... One thing Erik could have done, is give the units in each Japanese division a different symbol color, with the armies each having a different background color. But, this would present problems re combat cooperation, and not completely resolve the supply cooperation problems.

So, IMO, supply and combat cooperation should be treated separately, with the current cooperation structure fine for combat.

But, for supply, the game really needs a 'chain of command' structure, IMO. With this, the formations that are subordinate to a given formation would be listed in the higher level formations report and clicking on the subordinate formations line would bring up the formation report for that formation instead of going to a unit display.

From a HQ perspective, HQ units would only be able to give full HQ bias supply to units that are in the same formation or in a subordinate formation, while being able to give 'limited' cooperation supply to 'sister' formations (those having the same immediately higher level formation).

From a supply unit perspective, same thing, except of course you usually only see supply units in the higher level formation.

IMO, this would present the significant advantage to keeping the units in a given formation in a reasonable level of proximity, and the same re the units all of a same higher level formation.

Again, using the color schemes for combat cooperation seems to work but the same can't be said for BOTH combat cooperation and supply cooperation, IMO.

Comments?

DiT

SMK-at-work -> RE: DE-RS Supply Cooperation (12/2/2007 11:38:48 PM)

Something that TOAW doesn't do is allow cross attachment of units - I would treat nearby units of another army as "merely" on short term loan to the adjacent HQ - I'm sure they did it at various times.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI