Dawn Patrol? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

MarkShot -> Dawn Patrol? (12/2/2007 11:52:51 PM)

I guess most post got lost. Can anyone with an old version of HC perpare this old mission for use with HCCE?

I've played it with H3 and would love to compare the play in HCCE?

Thanks.

Stalintc -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 12:13:26 AM)

I havent got your answer, but I found your initial post its in here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1629848

Cheers

MarkShot -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 12:17:53 AM)

I thought all earlier HC scenarios were backwards compatible with HCCE. Someone post a pic of the game running under DOSBOX. So, ... ??? :)

Maybe I'll ask Herman, he probably has every version of Harpoon ever released.

Divefreak -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 1:06:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

I guess most post got lost. Can anyone with an old version of HC perpare this old mission for use with HCCE?

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=232

Hope you enjoy it...

You need my Euro DB! It is also availbe at HG

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=24

Regards René

MarkShot -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 1:10:30 AM)

Sorry, the link say cannot find file.

Also, is there directions someplace how to swap/install a DB for HCCE?

Thanks.

Divefreak -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 1:19:51 AM)

quote:

Sorry, the link say cannot find file.

Also, is there directions someplace how to swap/install a DB for HCCE?

Thanks.

the file needs to be aprooved by Tony, so this might take some hours...

if you want to change a db in HCE, save the commondb.res and the commondb.rsr file in a subfolder or zip archive
download the other db from HG and unpack it into the HCE main folder.
if ypu want to switch back simply use/restore the previously saved files.

Divefreak -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 1:22:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Divefreak

[
the file needs to be aprooved by Tony, so this might take some hours...

Brad aprovved it! [:)]

Thanks you!

so the file is availbe now

MarkShot -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 1:27:12 AM)

Great!

The scenario zip has four files. Just copy them into the HCCE directory?

Thanks!

Divefreak -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/3/2007 1:31:32 AM)

quote:

Great!

The scenario zip has four files. Just copy them into the HCCE directory?

Thanks!

Yes! only 2 a really needed but won´t hurt to copy all 4

MarkShot -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/5/2007 5:05:02 AM)

One difference I just noticed between HCCE and ANW is the coast line of Norway has a lot options for hiding in terms of a complex shore in the H2/H3 family. In the HC, family the coast seems to have fewer islands and less fiords where you can take small boats to hide.

Is this a valid comparison or is this just my imagination due to a graphic illusion?

Thanks.

CV32 -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/5/2007 5:31:39 AM)

quote:

One difference I just noticed between HCCE and ANW is the coast line of Norway has a lot options for hiding in terms of a complex shore in the H2/H3 family. In the HC, family the coast seems to have fewer islands and less fiords where you can take small boats to hide.
Is this a valid comparison or is this just my imagination due to a graphic illusion? Thanks.

Thats a valid observation. H3/ANW does a better job of depicting complex coastlines.

Divefreak -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/5/2007 9:19:40 AM)

quote:

Hi

with the BS >BUilder we can create smaller maps with better details.

MarkShot -> RE: Dawn Patrol? (12/6/2007 2:19:43 AM)

I have tried this scenario about 10 times from Blue with the Euro DB.

I have had no luck.

If I try to sweep ahead moving North far off the coast either passive, active, or mixed, the Soviets manage to sink my ships before I even spot them usually with one well coordinated attack.

Now, when play Dawn Patrol with H3 as NATO, I usually split up my ships and move them individually among the fjords and islands of the coast line. Having shorter range missiles, I depend on getting ESM contacts on the Soviet ships. When I have contacts, I will sprint out to take a shot and sprint back behind a body of land. I will also use such scattered contacts to target my only long range missiles. If need be, I will later rush any remaining Soviet ships with a flood of short range missiles.

Here in HCCE (as noted elsewhere), the coast line doesn't offer many locations to place bodies of land between you and the Soviet's radar. Additionally, running aground seems to happen much easier in HCCE than H3.

So, I have tried moving up the coastline while staying relatively close to it with most of my ships. The reasoning is that even though I don't have land masses to hide behind, the land masses behind me will effectively make me harder to pick up on Soviet radar (sort of a horizontal ground clutter affect). While doing this, I have used a couple of ships in parallel further our from the coast moving North as bait. Effectively, when they disintegrate, the enemy is near and I should head out with my main force from the coast. So far, this approach has failed as the Soviets strike, but I don't seem to locate them doing this.

Any ideas on how to to play this one under HCCE? Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI