GIUK set 1 "boomer Bastion" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

Owl -> GIUK set 1 "boomer Bastion" (12/5/2007 1:41:36 AM)

I will try not to give away any spoilers here. As the Nato side, has anyone actually won this scenario? I have managed to get in and achieve my victroy conditions but only after the Soviets get theirs. Even playing a second and third time and trying different things - same effect. This one is a toughie!

mack2 -> RE: GIUK set 1 "boomer Bastion" (12/5/2007 9:43:21 AM)

I just played it as Nato. Soviets used a nuke on one of my subs basically straight away, I lost another a VLS LA and a British sub during the ingress (both from nukes) shortly afterward, guessing one to a Victor and one to a Tango. I manuevered the remaining VLS LA basically onto the beach next to the first Soviet airbase (containing 30 ASW planes)... it came under attack, I launched the 12 missiles (including 3 nukes) straight away and then ran it away, it got away though. Sosus helped me out with a few locations on a Delta SSBN (where I was going to put at least half my forces anyway) and a Soviet Carrier.

The ingress was at steerage, 3 knots for the most part, increasing to 5 once through the initial sub barrier, as I saw time was running out I pushed the speed up to either flank or cruise, depending on distance. Another LA sub was hit, and what I think was "Soviet Minor Victory" popped up. I continued the attack, sinking a Kresta II when it ventured too close to an LA Class.

2 british and one older American subs penetrated to the harbour where the Delta was hiding, and I detected 3 subs, 2 Large and 1 regular. The first british sub launched and both when they came into range, 1 torpedo sinking the first Delta, and 4 sinking the 2nd getting a victory report.

There was definately an SSN there as well, but after launching 2 at him he evaded and ran off. Shortly after the older American and one of the British were both sunk by some sort of Nuclear attack.

The 3 subs sent into the river/harbour system below the 2nd air base only made it halfway through when the game timed out. I had one sub moving north, where I believed another group would be, but also unable to reach the area in time. However 2 SSBN killed from an estimated 3-4 Boomers was good.

Nato winning as they completed their Total Victory condition first.

Nato:
Submarines: 5 Lost. (Improved Los Angeles "Albany", Sturgeon "Sand Lance", Los Angeles "Augusta", Trafalgar "Talent", Swiftsure "Sceptre")

Soviet:
Ships: 1 Lost (Kresta II)
Submarines: 5 Lost (Tango, Victor, 2 Delta, 1 Unknown), 3 Damaged (Unknown, possible 1 Sierra/Victor/Akula).
Aircraft: 22 Lost (Most likely May ASW)
Helicopters: 14 Lost (Various ASW Types)
Bases: 1 Destroyed

Expenditure:
Nato: Aprox 7 Mk-48, 11 Tigerfish, 9 Tomahawk, 3 Tomahawk-[N]

Owl -> RE: GIUK set 1 "boomer Bastion" (12/5/2007 8:52:38 PM)

Maybe it depends on the starting positions and a lot of luck?  From the Nato side, if you cruise you can get to where you need to go in time to search, but you risk "running over" unfriendly diesel boats.  If you creep you don't get to the bastions in time, but do have a much lower chance of being bounced by diesels.  While I can win the game by getting the enemy boomers, it's alwasy after they get a victory for killing my fast attacks first.

Last game 2 games there was no nuclear release I was aware of, and the Soviets did not nuke any of my boats - they just managed it with air dropped homing torpedoes in most cases, and some kind of missile from a surface ship in another case.  I sank most of their surface fleet at least before getting the Soviet victory screen.  After that I kept going and did eventually find what I was after, sinking 3 boombers.
Operating subs is tricky - you can't tell how noisy you're being at various speeds.

CV32 -> RE: GIUK set 1 "boomer Bastion" (12/6/2007 4:53:26 PM)

I always have more luck with this scenario (GIUK 12.0) if I adjust my submarines' courses and formations.

You'll notice right off the bat that your submarines are grouped in pairs. However, in most cases, submarines operate most effectively when they're operating alone. So I immediately split these pairs into individual boats.

Hand in hand with the above, you'll also notice right away that submarines tend to practise better noise discipline when they're at the center of their own formation. Otherwise, they're trying to patrol particular sectors of a formation, and that can be noisy. (They'll automatically go to the center of their own formation when you split em up).

You may want to continue to organize them in rough pairs, transiting toward the same objectives while supporting and protecting each other with overlapping sonar coverage and torpedo range.[;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI