Any game like this? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

BlueMak -> Any game like this? (12/7/2007 10:02:02 PM)

Hearts of Iron, with lots of diplomatic options, armies, navy, across the globe, during WWII.BUT, turn based.
A game that combines the scope of GG a world divided, but with smaller turns, more diplomatic options and ways to handle armies and conflict similar to Red Lighting (SSI) or at least Conflict:Europe (Mirrorsoft and PSS) (two of my favourite games together with others like Colonial Conquest by SSI)

Tough question I know.
Thanks in advance

HansBolter -> RE: Any game like this? (12/7/2007 10:36:09 PM)

Yes.

It's called A World at War, by Bruce Harper....it's actaully the next generation amalgamation of Advanced Third Reich and The Rising Sun.

BlueMak -> RE: Any game like this? (12/7/2007 10:41:59 PM)

I am sorry, I should have made that clearer, I was talking about a PC game, not tabletop or card game.

Veldor -> RE: Any game like this? (12/7/2007 10:48:15 PM)

Maybe World in Flames, currently in development by Matrix Games:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=296

BlueMak -> RE: Any game like this? (12/7/2007 10:53:35 PM)

World in Flames looks very promising. [:)]

JudgeDredd -> RE: Any game like this? (12/8/2007 9:37:49 AM)

I like to think so but I seriously have my doubts that a game on those scales has the AI required.

As a PBEM game, I'm sure it will rock...but against AI? I've seen too many promises of fantastic next generation AI be slammed on release.

I just don't know how you make a grand strategy game with the kind of AI required to take on a human at any level.

I'm just reading some posts in the EiA forum suggesting the AI is in need of "tweaking"...someone reporting DoW being too easy, another reporting GB, the ruler of the waves, sending out a tiny fleet to stave off an attack by France (I think)...another saying Napoleon was caught within weeks (game) of the game starting.

I'm afraid there seems to be a long, long way to go for a decent AI to be here. I really, really want World in Flames to be the game...but for single player, I have my doubts.

On the other hand, it may well be a great game anyway, AI issues aside. I love the HoI series...it's not without it's issues, but I still have a blast playing it.

ravinhood -> RE: Any game like this? (12/8/2007 9:53:01 AM)

Closest I can think of would be "Making History: The Calm and the Storm" A little bit of info on what the game is about It's on sale at various places for $19.99 good time to pick it up if you want a great game that is turn based and like HOI.

Here are some excellent screen shots of it Link screen shots

And here is the players review of the game section Reviews by players

It's going to play more ahistorically than historically, but, it has all the elements of WW2 there that I think you want that you saw in HOI/HOI2 Anything is possible with the political/diplomacy feature that is built into this game.

From what I gather the 2.02 patch has greatly improved the game both in performance and AI enhanced since its release out of the box as is per normal of most all games these days.

and one insert from a pro review:
"Making History the Calm and the Storm is the kind of game that a history buff, a war gamer, or the micro-managing gamer can really appreciate. The game does offer a covert way to learn history. This strategic game can help bring that dull history lesson to life. The 30 minute tutorial is the first thing to do in Making History. The gameplay and graphics plus the historical accuracy of the game make this game a good choice for the right kind of gamer."

Widell -> RE: Any game like this? (12/8/2007 3:52:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I like to think so but I seriously have my doubts that a game on those scales has the AI required.

As a PBEM game, I'm sure it will rock...but against AI? I've seen too many promises of fantastic next generation AI be slammed on release.

I just don't know how you make a grand strategy game with the kind of AI required to take on a human at any level.

WitP:AE at global scale? Kiss social life goodbye...... forget about AI, you only need PBEM. 24 hr turns between, let's say 1936 and 1945 = 9 years times 365 = 3285 turns....... [:D]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Any game like this? (12/8/2007 6:52:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueMak

Hearts of Iron, with lots of diplomatic options, armies, navy, across the globe, during WWII.BUT, turn based.

Civilization IV with WW2 expansion [:D]

lovesafron -> Any game like this? (12/9/2007 6:42:59 AM)

Yes worl at war is near to this but not perfectly matching.....

Neilster -> RE: Any game like this? (12/9/2007 9:13:53 AM)

quote:

I'm just reading some posts in the EiA forum suggesting the AI is in need of "tweaking"...someone reporting DoW being too easy, another reporting GB, the ruler of the waves, sending out a tiny fleet to stave off an attack by France (I think)...another saying Napoleon was caught within weeks (game) of the game starting.

I'm afraid there seems to be a long, long way to go for a decent AI to be here. I really, really want World in Flames to be the game...but for single player, I have my doubts.

On the other hand, it may well be a great game anyway, AI issues aside. I love the HoI series...it's not without it's issues, but I still have a blast playing it.

I've got a bit of inside knowledge on the AI for MWiF. I predict it will be good for some reasons I can't go into due to signing a NDA and the following...

1. The developer is an experienced and skilled player of the board game.
2. He is a careful and thorough guy, determined not to take shortcuts on any aspect of the project.
3. He has harnessed the vast collective experience of many WiF experts and distilled their strategies and tactics into heuristics for the AI.

IMHO the last point is extremely important. Time will tell.

Cheers, Neilster

JeF -> RE: Any game like this? (12/9/2007 9:18:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Widell
WitP:AE at global scale? Kiss social life goodbye...... forget about AI, you only need PBEM. 24 hr turns between, let's say 1936 and 1945 = 9 years times 365 = 3285 turns....... [:D]

Play a turn once per day and WitP becomes a Real Time simulation. [;)]

JeF.

Widell -> RE: Any game like this? (12/9/2007 1:40:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeF
Play a turn once per day and WitP becomes a Real Time simulation. [;)]

JeF.

Multi player PBEM, RTS. Imagine the joint staff meetings? Do you do them face to face with people travelling across the world to meet, or do you "cheat" and use modern stuff like forums, chatrooms, Skype etc etc? [&o]

geozero -> RE: Any game like this? (12/9/2007 7:29:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

I've got a bit of inside knowledge on the AI for MWiF. I predict it will be good for some reasons I can't go into due to signing a NDA and the following...

1. The developer is an experienced and skilled player of the board game.
2. He is a careful and thorough guy, determined not to take shortcuts on any aspect of the project.
3. He has harnessed the vast collective experience of many WiF experts and distilled their strategies and tactics into heuristics for the AI.

IMHO the last point is extremely important. Time will tell.

Cheers, Neilster

Not to mention that they've been developing the game since like 1995!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI