RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

witpqs -> RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/10/2012 8:35:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Possible, but if the Google Earth tools are reliable, Manokwari airbase and Waren Drome are seperated by about 48 (land) miles - that would put them in different hexes, no?

Not necessarily. 48 miles is only 2 miles over the ~46 statute miles (aka 40nm) for a land hex in AE. There are several reasons that could put them in the same hex. There might be a difference in where two different map designers throw the stake in the ground for each base, making a difference of a few miles. The map projection used might throw off the (flat map versus globe) distances sufficiently in that area. Possibly the greatest potential reason is that, because of the 40nm resolution of the map coupled with the full-hex resolution of the game engine, the map designer might have to nudge a few bases or features here and there by one hex to make the map and code work together for better game play. An example of that last is the often discussed range of the Zero versus the distance between Rabaul and Guadalcanal.

Anyhow it just occurred to me that as they are one hex away from an existing base that Andrew might have made that decision. Only he can answer that.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: Re: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/10/2012 8:49:41 PM)

Good explanation!

But well, I'm one of the guys who would love to have a dot or base at every hex - so I have put a dot base at 85/110 in my mod [:)]

Yaab -> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread (10/19/2012 3:34:34 PM)

When I press "R" to examine the road net, the secondary road leading to Patung in China is marked as a major road (solid red line is displayed instead of bright red one). Is this a bug?

[image]local://upfiles/40118/13D6E772067A4173AAF07D5F2241D0B9.jpg[/image]

Ridinroun -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (9/5/2013 1:34:06 AM)

Today I started having a problem with the map. In the furthest parts to the North like Canada and South, South of Brisbane I am getting overlapping hex and no land mass. For example if I'm looking at Hawaii and I click to go to the Northeast I still have Hawaii area and a bunch of overlapping hex's. Do I need to change my display resolution or something? Here my PC stats.

Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.44ghz win7 64bit NVidia GeForce 2gb 16gb ram 1TB HD 805GB free

wdolson -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (9/5/2013 1:42:20 AM)

This tends to happen when the video memory gets corrupted. Sometimes restarting the game will fix the problem, sometimes it requires a reboot of the computer.

Bill

Ridinroun -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (9/5/2013 1:46:08 AM)

Ok. Appreciate the help.

Chernobyl -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (7/8/2014 7:33:09 AM)

Sorry if this was asked before but why is the railroad between Hanoi and Kunming cut? Between Lao Cai and Mengtze there's no railroad, yet one existed.

The Kunming–Hai Phong Railway was finished by France in 1910 and apparently still exists.

And while I'm looking at it, why does the railroad from Hanoi end at Lang Son? I was under the impression there was a railroad that went all the way to Nanning.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (7/8/2014 10:07:28 AM)

The Chinese destroyed or dismantled railroads and bridges when retreating to slow down the Japanese - that's why the game has many rail lines missing (Canton - Kukong or Hangchow - Nanking are other examples).

The Japanese may have been able to rebuild the lines, but this ability is not modelled in the game. So for the destroyed sections it was a question of either put them in and change game balance by giving ahistorical strat movement abilities - or to leave them out.

It is possible for modders to put the destroyed sections back into the game, but it requires house rules and only works for PBEM.

Chernobyl -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (7/9/2014 2:19:15 AM)

Thanks for the explanation.

I suppose it would be better if the game modeled "destroyed railroads" so that you could repair them if you secure the territory and pay a cost.

Although realistically, certain bridges like the the Renziqiao Bridge would be easy to destroy and almost impossible to repair under wartime conditions.

And there'd probably be rampant railroad sabotage in China and Burma in the early part of the game. Come to think of it, why didn't the British sabotage more railroads?

wdolson -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (7/9/2014 2:28:23 AM)

We looked at the ability to build roads and railroads and it would have been way too much work. We didn't have the time to tackle it. It's a big change to the engine.

Bill

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (7/19/2014 4:25:44 PM)

quote:

Sorry if this was asked before but why is the railroad between Hanoi and Kunming cut? Between Lao Cai and Mengtze there's no railroad, yet one existed.

Doing some map modding today and re-investigated railroads in China, esp. the Hanoi-Kunming (Yunnan-Vietnam) railway mentioned above by Liebestod.

Found this on http://whatsonyunnan.com/travel/1854.html:

In 1940, the Japanese soldiers invaded Vietnam and bombed the railway, resulting in the overstock of the military supplies [waiting at Hanoi for rail transport to Kunming]. To further prevent Japanese northward invasion into Yunnan, order was given by the R.C. (the Republic of China) Government to destroy the Hekou Bridge that connected Yunnan and Vietnam then, and some parts of its Yunnan section were dismantled; the original rails were reused for the railway from Kunming to Qujing that served well for the international military supplies transit on the Yunnan-Myanmar (Burma) Road and the Hump Flights.

miv792 -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (10/16/2014 2:50:31 PM)

Both pluses and minuses give certain types of terrain? unfortunately did not find in the manual.

PaxMondo -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (10/19/2014 6:03:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

We looked at the ability to build roads and railroads and it would have been way too much work. We didn't have the time to tackle it. It's a big change to the engine.

Bill

A lot of modders (myself included) have multiple maps and HR's to go with them. Maps are swapped out routinely to allow for RR expansion and removal. It does take some coordination to do this, but for experienced players not really that big of a deal.

For me the biggest issue is that I can edit the pwhex file easily, but I'm a lousy artist. So, I change map files, but the graphics don't. I have to remember where the RR is in place or not in place ... [:D]

Having said that, I totally agree with the DEV decision NOT to include in the stock game. The learning curve is high enough, and it works fine as a modder.

kirk23 -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/23/2015 3:50:19 PM)

Hi guys sorry if this has been reported before,but in the Editor for Device 791 = Static Device what does this represent ?

[image]local://upfiles/36378/25FB864F19904664922FA18D1F491C7E.jpg[/image]

kirk23 -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/23/2015 3:52:32 PM)

Static device shown as part of unit?

[image]local://upfiles/36378/3CF8F4FA875541CA831D332D62486259.jpg[/image]

witpqs -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/23/2015 4:27:50 PM)

That is a device that cannot move. It is included in certain units to prevent them from moving because the game engine does not have another mechanism for disabling a unit's ability to move.

kirk23 -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/23/2015 6:38:57 PM)

Thank you for answering my query, now I understand cheers..[:)]

wdolson -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/23/2015 11:23:23 PM)

Some units can also become mobile at some point later when the TOE for the unit upgrades and the static device is replaced with something else that allows the unit to move.

Bill

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/20/2016 4:05:28 AM)

There seems to be some oil fields missing in stock (and DBB) at :

Sandakan
Kuching
Pontianac
Muntok

At Bandjermasin some kind of oil installation seems to have existed, but I have found no details.

Klamono in PNG is probably Babo in the game and should be undevelopped (damaged).

Also missing are refinieries at Singapore.

Sources :

1. Cobbled together from "The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia" at http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/Table_Of_Contents.htm :

The coastal regions of Borneo are younger sedimentary beds accreted onto the island core, and it is here that mineral wealth was found in the form of oil. Large oil fields were in production at Miri, Seria, and Lutong in or near Brunei on the northwest coast; at Sandakan, Tarakan, and Balikpapan along the east coast; and at Kuching and Pontianac on the west coast.

Oil was first discovered at Canada Hill near the little fishing village of Miri, on the northwest coast of Borneo (113.960E 4.349N), in 1910. Production was about 2.1 million barrels in 1940. Other oil fields in the vicinity were Seria and Lutong. Both Miri and Lutong had their own refineries.

Lutong (114.001E 4.467N) is an oil field on the Borneo coast just north of Miri. Production was roughly 2.1 million barrels a year in 1940 and there was a refinery and airfield.

Seria (114.388E 4.632N) was an oil field on the northwest coast of Borneo in western Brunei. Production was about 3.2 million barrels a year in 1941.

Balikpapan (116.812E 1.283S), on Sumbir River on the southeast coast of Borneo, boasted a significant oil field (7.4 million barrels a year) and a refinery and a newly constructed port with just enough facilities to load tankers. [...] There was a well-developed road following an oil pipeline to Samarinda that also provided access to the interior oil fields.

Tarakan (117.587E 3.312N) was an oil port on an island in the Sesayap River delta of east Borneo, with production of about 5.1 million barrels per year from two fields near the center of the island. Tarakan measured about fifteen miles (24 km) from northwest to south. Facilities were limited except for the refinery and four oil loading piers, which were located at Tarakan town on the southwest coast.

Sandakan (118.123E 5.850N) is a small port on the northeast tip of Borneo. In 1941, it was the capital of British North Borneo and had a population of about 13,800. The port had just enough facilities to load oil from the nearby fields, which produced about two million barrels a year.

Kuching (110.333E 1.550N) was the principal town of Sarawak on the northwest coast of Borneo. Located inland on the Sarawak River, it had a river port with limited facilities and an airstrip, and a nearby oil field produced some two million barrels a year. There was also significant rubber production in the surrounding region.

In 1941, Pontianac (Pontianak; 109.344E 0.018S) was a small oil port on the west coast of Dutch Borneo, located on the mouth of the Kapuas River. The oil field here produced about 2.1 million barrels in 1940. The port itself could not accomodate ships with a draft in excess of 21 feet.

Palembang (104.774E 3.009S) was the capital of Sumatra and was located in what was then the richest known oil field in southeast Asia. Production began in 1907 and by 1940 had reached 30 million barrels a year, almost half the total for the entire Netherlands East Indies. The Pladjoe refinery produced considerable quantities of gasoline from the local light petroleum and would eventually provide 22% of Japan's fuel oil and 78% of her aviation gasoline. The city could be reached by small oceangoing vessels via the Musa River, which was the usual means of oil delivery.

Muntok (105.165E 2.072S) is a port on Bangka Island opposite the mouth of the Musa River of Sumatra. The nearby Banka Penang oil field produced about two million barrels of oil per year in 1941. The port also shipped out the tin mined on Bangka (about 10,000 tons per year in 1941.

Soerabaja - Oil fields in the area produced about a million barrels a year and there was an important refinery at Wonokromo (112.739E 7.303S) that produced a large amount of the lighter, more valuable fractions, such as gasoline.

Klamono (131.473E 1.132S) was the location of an oil field in the Vogelkop Peninsula of western New Guinea. Though discovered prior to war breaking out, it was still largely undeveloped. Estimates at the time were that the oil reservoir was one of the largest in the Netherlands East Indies and would produce one of the lightest crude oil known, rich in the valuable volatile fractions such as gasoline.

[The PWOE does not mention the oil fields and refinieries around Medan and says nothing about oil installations at Bandjermasin]

2. From the articles on hte Nihon Kaigun site :

http://www.combinedfleet.com/BorneoOil.htm

During World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) controlled the former Royal Dutch Shell oil fields and refineries at Miri, Seria and Lutong, near Brunei, Sarawak in northern British Borneo, Kuching and Pontianac on the west coast and at Sandakan, Tarakan, Samarinda, Balikpapan and Bandjermasin along Dutch Borneo’s eastern and southern coasts. The facilities were operated by Japanese civilian and local national technicians.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/JavaOil.htm

During World War II, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) controlled the former Royal Dutch Shell oil fields and refineries in Java. They consisted of two main groups, the Rembang group in Central Java and the Surabaya group in East Java. The oil fields were at Gliron, Kroeka, Lidah, Kawengan, Ledok, Loesi, Nglobo, Semanggi and Tremboel. The crude oil was pumped from the fields through miles of pipelines to Bataafse Petroleum Maatschappij (later Shell) refineries at Wonokromo, Kapoean and Tjepoe (Cepu). The captured BPM facilities were operated by Japanese civilian and local national technicians.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/SumatraOil.htm

During World War II, the Japanese Army controlled the former Royal Dutch Shell oil refineries in Sumatra including Pangkalan Brandan and Pladjoe (Pladju) and Standard-Vacuum Oil Company's (Stanvac) refinery at Sungei (Soengai) Gerong.

The oil refined at the small Pangkalan Brandan refinery in northern Sumatra was transported to port facilities at nearby Pangkalan Susu [near Medan] and from there directly to Singapore, Malaya and other locations in the region.

The center of oil production was at Prabumulih, 43 miles from Palembang in southern Sumatra, now the second-largest city in Sumatra, after Medan. Crude was transported via pipelines to the large Pladjoe refinery, a few miles north of Palembang. In February 1942, the Japanese 2nd Parachute Regiment captured Pladjoe intact. The Japanese later named Pladjoe the "No. 1 Refinery" and was managed by Nihon Sekiyu. It was capble of refining 45, 000 barrels a day and its speciality was high octane aviation gasoline production.

Prewar, Stanvac, a joint venture between Jersey Standard (Esso) and Socony-Vacuum (Mobil), also operated several oil fields and transported its crude to its Sungei Gerong refinery, east of Palembang city. captured Pladjoe intact. After the Japanese captured Sungei Gerong they named it the "No. 2 Refinery". It was also capble of refining 45, 000 barrels a day and was managed by Mitsubishi Sekiyu. Together, these two refineries - the largest in Southeast Asia - had a reported annual capacity of 20,460,000 barrels of crude and were capable of producing 78 per cent of Japan's aviation gasoline and 22 per cent of its fuel oil.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/SingaporeOil.htm

Singapore Oil Refineries and Storage Centers

Asiatic Petroleum, a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell Oil, owned storage centers at Pulau Bukum and Pulau Sebarok near Singapore. Refined product was brought from Sumatra and stored in these captured storage centers near Singapore. Round trips from Palembang to Singapore and back, including loading and discharging fuel, averaged about one week, but many trips took longer, indicating possible loading and unloading difficulties and/or ships' engine troubles and perhaps groundings.

The Pulau Bukom oil refinery lies just south of the main island of Singapore. The Pulau Sebarok refinery is east of Pulau Bukum. The Pulau Sambu (Samboe) refinery also was nearby, but in Dutch East Indies territory.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Ceramoil.htm

Ceram (now Seram) Island is the largest island of the Maluku province of Indonesia. It is located just north of Ambon Island. The Boela (Bula) field, on the northeastern tip of Ceram was discovered in 1897. In 1913, the field was developed by two Royal Dutch-Shell subsidiaries. Its pre-war output from about 500 wells had a rated potential production of 650,000 barrels a year, or 1,800 barrels a day. In 1939, the field reached a peak production of 750,000 barrels. There was no refinery at Boela and the crude was shipped to Balikpapan, Borneo for refining.

[This site does not mention Klamono / Babo]

btd64 -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/20/2016 1:19:22 PM)

LST, You need to check out the map for RHS. Sid has a lot of the refineries and oil fields located....GP

BBfanboy -> RE: AE Map, Base, Economic Issues (2/20/2016 1:33:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

That is a device that cannot move. It is included in certain units to prevent them from moving because the game engine does not have another mechanism for disabling a unit's ability to move.

Think of it as the concrete outhouse - no one wants to go back to the log over a pit setup![sm=00000116.gif]

Page: <<   < prev  32 33 34 35 [36]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI