RE: Age Group Playing AT (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

melmoth2 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/21/2011 1:32:00 PM)

50 and still playing wargames with the guy who used to beat me mercilessly when we were 12 - and yes he still wins every time.

Tetracerasviper -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (5/21/2011 1:53:16 PM)

Turned 48 2 weeks ago.

Falkon1313 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (7/22/2011 4:55:25 AM)

34 here in USA. Got my start with Featherstone's books about miniatures from the library. For lack of miniatures, I drew units on index cards and cut them to the base sizes. Massive pike & shot battles and WWI-era naval campaigns took place on the carpet of my bedroom floor. Then found some books about board wargames and they seemed so much more interesting but couldn't find any of the games anywhere. Then found an ad for a mail-order wargames store in the back of a D&D magazine. There went my savings. Moved from Tactics II to Europe Aflame to Advanced Third Reich and WWII:PTO in no time, along with Arab-Israeli Wars and tons of WWIII 'modern' games. Also liked Imperium, Renegade Legion, Silent Death, Ogre, etc.

Interesting stuff. By my count we're at about:
Sample Size, n:  147

Minimum:         18
1st Quartile:    37
2nd Quartile:    42 (Median)
3rd Quartile:    48
Maximum:         73

[image]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4f5992c825.png[/image]

laska2k8 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (7/22/2011 7:42:00 AM)

started to play wargames on Amiga (maybe someone out there still remember...)

cato12 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (7/22/2011 8:36:49 AM)

i remember the good old amiga very well.[:)]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (7/22/2011 7:31:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falkon

34 here in USA. Got my start with Featherstone's books about miniatures from the library. For lack of miniatures, I drew units on index cards and cut them to the base sizes. Massive pike & shot battles and WWI-era naval campaigns took place on the carpet of my bedroom floor. Then found some books about board wargames and they seemed so much more interesting but couldn't find any of the games anywhere. Then found an ad for a mail-order wargames store in the back of a D&D magazine. There went my savings. Moved from Tactics II to Europe Aflame to Advanced Third Reich and WWII:PTO in no time, along with Arab-Israeli Wars and tons of WWIII 'modern' games. Also liked Imperium, Renegade Legion, Silent Death, Ogre, etc.

Interesting stuff. By my count we're at about:
Sample Size, n:  147

Minimum:         18
1st Quartile:    37
2nd Quartile:    42 (Median)
3rd Quartile:    48
Maximum:         73

[image]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4f5992c825.png[/image]

Ogre, that was a fun one. Cheap too. Those SJG games were cheap and cheerful.

Warspite3 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (8/7/2011 2:08:53 PM)

Crinshaw -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (8/10/2011 12:31:41 AM)

Strategiusz -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (8/10/2011 1:57:21 PM)

O_O

I'm only 29,5 :|
ok, maybe 29,8

Joe McQuay -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (8/17/2011 10:30:07 AM)

nukkxx5058 -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (8/17/2011 10:54:24 AM)

48  [8D]

billd -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (8/24/2011 7:02:13 AM)

30, brisbane, my first wargame was chess.

zzmzzm -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (9/12/2011 3:55:11 PM)

kram -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (9/15/2011 5:11:46 PM)

Javolenus -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (9/27/2011 12:40:11 PM)

50 (Oh, alright, nearly 51 . . .)

jomni -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (11/4/2011 8:46:12 AM)

Intersting statistics.  Here's a question.

If AT was released 20 years ago (80s / 90s), what is the age of the people playing?  I suspect they are in their 20's.  So the people playing now are the same people who play these games when they're younger.  So 20 years from now, the players will be 60.  Not a good sign for matrix...

I don't think it is a case where people who reach 40 years starts picking up games like these. Or is it?

british exil -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (11/4/2011 10:16:37 AM)

Look at this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2936428

You can see at what age some of the forum members started wargaming. AT and ATG are among some of the games picked up along the long trek of gameplaying.

Mat

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (11/4/2011 8:04:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

If AT was released 20 years ago (80s / 90s), what is the age of the people playing?  I suspect they are in their 20's.  So the people playing now are the same people who play these games when they're younger.  So 20 years from now, the players will be 60.  Not a good sign for matrix...

I don't think it is a case where people who reach 40 years starts picking up games like these. Or is it?

Many people consider the sub genre of wargaming a dead end. Almost everyone feels that the "hex and counter" type games are just nostalgia and will soon sputter out.

So many people have told me this. But I think in truth the segment was always narrow, but didn't have as much competition as it does now for younger players.

Would I have ever gotten into these games if XBOX360 and Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering were around when I was 12 or so ? Yes, I would have, but there probably isn't more than say 2% of the population that are like me.

ernieschwitz -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (11/4/2011 10:22:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Many people consider the sub genre of wargaming a dead end. Almost everyone feels that the "hex and counter" type games are just nostalgia and will soon sputter out.

So many people have told me this. But I think in truth the segment was always narrow, but didn't have as much competition as it does now for younger players.

Would I have ever gotten into these games if XBOX360 and Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering were around when I was 12 or so ? Yes, I would have, but there probably isn't more than say 2% of the population that are like me.

Hey, i sold my Magic the Gathering. I´ve played Everquest, and Warhammer Fantasy Battles. But i still have very fond moments in my memory about playing Rise and Decline of the 3rd Reich and Panzer Blitz board games...

I definately think that hex and counter games are the best way to simulate reality... or at least, it has a much higher thought process that has to occur, compared to the read and react tactics you need to pull of in real time games.

Also i might add, as people get older their reflexes go down, and thus games of deeper thought might be alot more appealing :)

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Age Group Playing AT (11/5/2011 3:20:52 AM)

Hmmm, well in my day it was D&D which was sucking all the life from the wargamers. I had a little fun with it, but quickly moved on.

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI