Various Help (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

Alan_Bernardo -> Various Help (12/11/2007 7:11:16 PM)

It might be a good idea to add a forum sub-section where the experts on EiA can help those who have questions or need clarifications.

For example, I need some quick clarifications about supply and forage.

Playing Prussia, I have a corps in Stettin:

[image]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/Alan_Bernardo/forage.jpg[/image]
[image]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/Alan_Bernardo/forage01.jpg[/image]

I want to verify the information about supply, seen there on the bottom left, above the brown section.

It says:

[Forage]3(-2)
[Depot]Colberg/2.0$

My corps in this area is drawing supply from Colberg. If I had a supply depot in Stettin, the cost of supply would be $1. But since the depot is one province away, I pay $2 (or does the fact that there is a river between Stettin and Colberg come into play?).

Could someone explain what the top line means-- [Forage]3(-2)?

Now if I decide to forage this unit and succeed, does that mean that I save the $2? (An unsuccessful attempt, I believe, means I lose one factor.)

I decide to auto-forage and here's what comes up:

[image]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/Alan_Bernardo/forage02.jpg[/image]

What exactly do all these numbers here mean-- Forage:3 Mods:-2 Roll:1 Net:-1 Good!

My guess is that the forage number is the forage value of the province, the mods is the number modified, according to the modifiers found on page 64 of the manual. The roll is the random number given to my corps, and the net is the result of (-)2-1, which is -1.

Since the net is of the same value or lower than the modified forage value, the forage suceeds. If the province forage were 1 instead of 3, the forage would have failed and I would have lost one factor.

A few questions on forage, though:

-- In the above case, would it have been better to forage or pay for supply? I mean I did save $2, didn't I?

-- Once a corps forages from an area, does the forage value of the area decrease?
(I'm guessing it does)

Any further explanations on supply and forage is welcomed. :)

Thanks,

Alan

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Various Help (12/11/2007 7:31:50 PM)

Alan:

Glad to help!

Normally depot supply is one for each area in distance you are from the depot. Here it should cost you 1$ UNLESS it is winter time (Dec, Jan or Feb) at which point supply costs are doubled which in your case would be 2$.

Now for the forage, in your case 3(-2). What the game is saying is it will take a roll of 3 or less (1d6) to successfully forage for supply. The -2 is the modifier that applies to you roll so you really only need to roll a 5 or less to make the forage attempt successful!

Forage modifers would include +2 in winter months. -1 for each unused move point (-3) and -1 if you own this territory thus giving you a net mod of -2.

NOW, if you succesffuly forage (Good!) then you don't lose anything and you do not have to pay for supply for that corps!

Hope this helps...

Alan_Bernardo -> RE: Various Help (12/11/2007 7:42:00 PM)

Marshall,

Thanks. That makes sense.

Am I correct in saying that forage values go down, if a unit successfully forages? Also, if I draw supply from a depot, does depot supply also decrease?

A running FAQ would be a nice idea, for people learning the system.

Thanks,

Alan

Marshall Ellis -> RE: Various Help (12/11/2007 7:51:39 PM)

Alan:

Forage values go down by 1 for each corps in that area emulating difficulty for all corps to forage off the same land.
Depot supply cost should decrease (You should see this) as you forage units, Yes.

JavaJoe -> RE: Various Help (12/12/2007 1:19:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan_Bernardo

Marshall,

Thanks. That makes sense.

Am I correct in saying that forage values go down, if a unit successfully forages? Also, if I draw supply from a depot, does depot supply also decrease?

A running FAQ would be a nice idea, for people learning the system.

Thanks,

Alan

The forage value of the area will always remain the same. The modification may change (more than 1 corps in the area, winter...). The depot does not exhaust its supply as long as you can pay for the supply.

Grognot -> RE: Various Help (12/12/2007 10:44:46 AM)

One note -- on a failed forage roll, you can lose much, much worse than one factor.

For instance, if you've burned all your movement force-marching six French infantry corps into the zero-forage areas of the Pripyat Marshes during winter -- mind you, this would be completely insane...

You'd roll 1d6 + 5 (six unbesieged corps in area) + 1 (force-march) +2 (winter, in winter zone) ==
1d6 + 8, or an average of 11.5.  Subtract ZERO from that (local supply level), and -each- corps would on average lose... 11.5 factors.

Don't force-march in enemy territory in winter.  :o :o

Murat -> RE: Various Help (12/12/2007 4:50:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognot

One note -- on a failed forage roll, you can lose much, much worse than one factor.

For instance, if you've burned all your movement force-marching six French infantry corps into the zero-forage areas of the Pripyat Marshes during winter -- mind you, this would be completely insane...

You'd roll 1d6 + 5 (six unbesieged corps in area) + 1 (force-march) +2 (winter, in winter zone) ==
1d6 + 8, or an average of 11.5.  Subtract ZERO from that (local supply level), and -each- corps would on average lose... 11.5 factors.

Don't force-march in enemy territory in winter.  :o :o

1d6 + 2 (max of +2 no matter how many corps) + 1 (force) +2 (winter) so 8.5, not a ton better but still........

Jimmer -> RE: Various Help (12/12/2007 7:04:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Alan:

Forage values go down by 1 for each corps in that area emulating difficulty for all corps to forage off the same land.
Depot supply cost should decrease (You should see this) as you forage units, Yes.

We had a house rule for this that you might consider implementing:

For foraging modifiers, instead of

-1 for each other corps in the same area ...

we changed the rule to read

-1 for each other FORAGING corps in the same area ...

Otherwise, the cav and the infantry in a 1 zone would both have to be paid for, whereas the cav would be free under the optional rule, if the infantry corps were paid for.

chuckj118 -> RE: Various Help (12/12/2007 7:26:01 PM)

Jimmer's mod does make some sense.  It should be the corps that are foraging heavily that effect other foragers.

------------

We all know that some foraging (um, stealing, um, acquiring) would be going on even with the well supplied troops.  We southerners can remember this from you $#@& Yanks a while back. [:D] 

Like Boweevils they were! [:D] [8|]

JavaJoe -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 1:33:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nalamin

Jimmer's mod does make some sense. It should be the corps that are foraging heavily that effect other foragers.

------------

We all know that some foraging (um, stealing, um, acquiring) would be going on even with the well supplied troops. We southerners can remember this from you $#@& Yanks a while back. [:D]

Like Boweevils they were! [:D] [8|]

Next time say no to firing on Fort Sumtner

Murat -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 2:37:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JavaJoe

Yankees were in Fort Moultrie and then INVADED Fort Sumter chasing off unarmed workers. Noone died in Ft. Sumter (we aimed high to avoid injuring anyone), they defenders were all sent back North and then that hatchet-faced bearded guy still would not leave us alone. We just wanted to live in peace. [sm=00000924.gif][sm=innocent0004.gif]

Oh yeah, stay on topic, then the 'Little Napoleon' (hahahahaha) got his butt kicked and they still would not go away. Even now they won't. They keep coming here and leaving trash on our beaches.[:-]

JavaJoe -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 2:48:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

quote:

Yankees were in Fort Moultrie and then INVADED Fort Sumter chasing off unarmed workers. Noone died in Ft. Sumter (we aimed high to avoid injuring anyone), they defenders were all sent back North and then that hatchet-faced bearded guy still would not leave us alone. We just wanted to live in peace. [sm=00000924.gif][sm=innocent0004.gif]

Oh yeah, stay on topic, then the 'Little Napoleon' (hahahahaha) got his butt kicked and they still would not go away. Even now they won't. They keep coming here and leaving trash on our beaches.[:-]

How can you invade a nation that you aren't at war with?

Love Southern logic..

Oh and the trash burns well..ask Sherman.[sm=sterb032.gif]

Murat -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 2:50:45 AM)

quote:

That's a good question but the USA did it to the CSA and Japan did it to the USA, Britain and Holland.

JavaJoe -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 2:52:49 AM)

quote:

quote:

That's a good question but the USA did it to the CSA and Japan did it to the USA, Britain and Holland.

You're right I should rephrase that to ask

"How do you invade your OWN nation?"

Murat -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 2:58:18 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

To quote the ex-wife "You don't OWN me." [:D]

JavaJoe -> RE: Various Help (12/13/2007 3:17:17 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

To quote the ex-wife "You don't OWN me." [:D]

<looking over shoulder for current wife>

Hey, there's some common ground.

[sm=00000924.gif]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI