Books by Ambrose (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Hidde -> Books by Ambrose (12/12/2007 5:14:21 PM)

As I understand it, there is different opinions about the WW2-books by Stephen E Ambrose. I have read three of them and think they are okey, but that is not why I am writing this.
I read his book about Crazy Horse and Custer several years ago and is at the moment reading Undaunted Courage about the Lewis-Clarke expedition.
These two books are outstanding.
Even if you don't like the other stuff he's done I urge anyone to have a look at those two.
The feeling of being there is great. It's not very much action in Undaunted Courage but I almost feel like one of the explorers going into unknown territory.
In almost every indian village they have visited so far there seems to be at least one french trapper living as one of the inhabitants with wife and children since long before. Fascinating.

Sarge -> RE: Books by Ambrose (12/13/2007 8:14:06 PM)

Undaunted Courage is a outstanding in-depth look at the Lewis-Clarke expedition, I don’t particularly care for Ambrose WWII material . But again Undaunted Courage is well worth the price of admission.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Books by Ambrose (12/13/2007 10:09:16 PM)

I'm not over keen on his style. Too many quotes for me.

Joram -> RE: Books by Ambrose (12/14/2007 4:37:20 AM)

I'm not a huge fan but for the most part his books are a pleasure to read. I really liked his "Nothing Like it in the World" where he describes the building of the Transcontinental Railroad. It's actually one of his lower rated books according to Amazon but it's one of my favorites of his. Each to his own I guess.

ORANGE -> RE: Books by Ambrose (12/14/2007 9:28:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I'm not over keen on his style. Too many quotes for me.

I like him but I agree with this. I read one of his books, I think the D-Day one, and I later read a book called Death Traps by Belton Cooper and it seemed to have just taken straight from his book or interviews.

I think the beauty of Ambrose is that he makes history available to the masses.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI