Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design

Alekks -> Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 2:34:02 AM)

This may not be specific to just this scenario rev as I believe I have seen this before in a Level 7 RHSAIO as well.

What is happening is on or about 12/15/41 the RMAF 1/RAF 226 Grp Air HQ decides it does not want to be bottled up in balmy Singapore anymore and flips to ROC Command and begins a trek to Nanning.

Needless to say, the sudden removal of the bulk of Singapore's Aviation Support does not help the already tedious Air Ops situation in Singapore. I have manually flipped the unit to UK Southeast Asia (thus spending the PPs) and turned them around and pointed them back to Singapore only to have them revert back to ROC Command and start marching back to Nanning on the next turn. The whole map is under Human control except for the Soviet area zone so I am at a loss to figure this out. [&:]

It almost appears that this is a hard coded move, but I do not recall seeing this in stock (which I pretty much never play anymore). However, to clarify, I have not played a stock game since the last patch so it may have happened there. */shrugs/*

Any light shed on this will help greatly, but I can wait til after the holidays for an answer. I appreciate the time and attention to detail the RHS scenarios bring to the gaming table.

Buck Beach -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 4:56:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alekks

This may not be specific to just this scenario rev as I believe I have seen this before in a Level 7 RHSAIO as well.

What is happening is on or about 12/15/41 the RMAF 1/RAF 226 Grp Air HQ decides it does not want to be bottled up in balmy Singapore anymore and flips to ROC Command and begins a trek to Nanning.

Needless to say, the sudden removal of the bulk of Singapore's Aviation Support does not help the already tedious Air Ops situation in Singapore. I have manually flipped the unit to UK Southeast Asia (thus spending the PPs) and turned them around and pointed them back to Singapore only to have them revert back to ROC Command and start marching back to Nanning on the next turn. The whole map is under Human control except for the Soviet area zone so I am at a loss to figure this out. [&:]

It almost appears that this is a hard coded move, but I do not recall seeing this in stock (which I pretty much never play anymore). However, to clarify, I have not played a stock game since the last patch so it may have happened there. */shrugs/*

Any light shed on this will help greatly, but I can wait til after the holidays for an answer. I appreciate the time and attention to detail the RHS scenarios bring to the gaming table.

I am just starting a new RHSCAIO level 7 and will watch for this.

Alekks -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 6:04:46 AM)

Thanks Buck, I'll be interested in what you see in your game. As I mentioned it took place around the 15th of December. As a temporary "rigged" work around, I went into the scenario editor and added an amount of Aviation Support to the Singapore Fortress to offset what is lost when the Air HQ bugs out and started up another game.

If the unit flips to ROC Command and begins its march to Nanning again, I'll let it go and track it's progress without suffering an Aviation Support deficit at Singapore. I'm a bit curious as to what happens. I generally leave China under Computer Control. It's my "game within a game" modeling of Nimitz not having a whole lot of say in what the Chinese forces did anyway [:D]

el cid again -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 6:33:30 AM)

For various reasons, almost simultaneously but independently, Andrew and I decided to revert to using stock slots for everything possible. We also were so advised by Matrix about the same time. This DOES have the unfortunate effect of letting hard code do what it will in some cases. I just changed two city locations because hard code wants to expand whatever engine or plane you put there. We probably have this problem in other ways. It is much worse if AI is boss - and we have cured some of these things (e.g. the entire Cavalry corps going to China).

To facilitate fast checking - report with slot ID - which appears when you put the pointer on the unit.

Alekks -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 10:27:12 AM)

Slot#178. I think you're on the right track here. There is something else in this slot in stock, comparing to stock scenario 15 at least. I hope this helps some. If you need anymore Cid, let me know.

While we're discussing RHS, I have a couple "ticky-tack" art issues as well. These are just things that catch my eye while playing.

[1] On the v7 map, Lae is spelled Lea on the map, but is correct on mouseover of the base itself.

[2] The top art of the P40B and P40E are reversed, ie the P40B top art is what the P40E should be and vice versa. Going by the paint scheme by looking at the side views.

I work in the Global Quality Engineering dept at work. Things like this literally jump out at me. It's both a gift and a curse [;)]

Alekks -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 10:36:28 AM)

As an addendum, I mentioned to Buck a couple posts ago that I temp-modified the Singapore Fortress with some AV Support and launched a new game.

Sure enough on the Land Battle/Movement phase on 12/15, the Air HQ unit in question changed to ROC Command and initiated marching orders to Nanning. I'm just gonna let it go and see what happens since Nanning currently belongs to the Japanese Empire. [:D]

el cid again -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 11:44:27 AM)

quote:

Slot#178. I think you're on the right track here. There is something else in this slot in stock, comparing to stock scenario 15 at least. I hope this helps some. If you need anymore Cid, let me know.

While we're discussing RHS, I have a couple "ticky-tack" art issues as well. These are just things that catch my eye while playing.

[1] On the v7 map, Lae is spelled Lea on the map, but is correct on mouseover of the base itself.

REPLY: If Cobra ever resurfaces - with functional hard drives and software - maybe he will fix it.

[2] The top art of the P40B and P40E are reversed, ie the P40B top art is what the P40E should be and vice versa. Going by the paint scheme by looking at the side views.

REPLY: Same same. Unless you can do filmstrips. in which case we need two new ones for EOS plane art.

I work in the Global Quality Engineering dept at work. Things like this literally jump out at me. It's both a gift and a curse [;)]

el cid again -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 11:48:33 AM)

quote:

This slot was the 4th Group Army in stock and CHS. [That makes no sense whatever since a Group Army is also a Corps - they had duplicated HQ - thinking I suppose an "army" was above a corps] Many other corps were present and have not presented this problem - but this one seems to want to be ROC. So maybe we have to not have a RAF HQ at all? There are NO free slots of the HQ sort.

I will try a 1944 RAF HQ here - and see if that is past the point codes cares about?

el cid again -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 12:55:10 PM)

Looking at an AI vs AI test game, it is pretty wierd:

by mid February 1942 everything has fallen in Malaya except Singapore itself - and one other hex. This hex - next to Singora - has the offending RAF HQ - and two brigades - apparently still trying to go to China!

el cid again -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 5:25:08 PM)

It didn't quite work. Changing slots gave us a variation: the new one wants to be India Command - and go to India!

Also - there is a similar problem with the 17th Naval District in Alaska - I can't even figure out where it went - possibly to the dreaded 0,0 location (where it is invisible)?

We may have to lose these two units - or put some other in them.

The good news is all the other former ROC HQ work fine.

Alekks -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/27/2007 8:33:32 PM)

That's wild. Thanks for chasing this down. I can't imagine how difficult it is to get all the units into a RHS/CHS scenario to work properly while dodging hard coded slots.

Having written program code in a previous job, dealing with someone else's code was always problematic, particularly if they were no longer around to bounce questions or refused to answer questions. I spent many a night ripping previous code out, putting new code in and debugging until my brain screamed "ENOUGH" and called it a day.

I'll continue on with this scenario since I still have some off time until heading back to work next week. If anything else pops up, I'll post in this thread.

Thanks again Cid.

el cid again -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/29/2007 7:04:39 AM)

I will combine two Naval Dist HQ with fixed commands - free two slots - move these into them - and wa la - we should be fixed.

Sardaukar -> RE: Units under player control changing commands on their own -- RHSCAIO v7.7881 (12/30/2007 11:05:29 AM)

There will always be problems when having areas under computer contol. It hijacks your units, TFs etc..even when it's China Commans for example. Never leave anything uncer computer control except CS Convoys..that's what I have learned from experience.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI