Resolution (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

roos -> Resolution (12/27/2007 4:38:17 PM)

Hi!
We are a gaming society in Stockholm (proxxi). Our intention with this game is to starta a face2face campaign with the computar game as a play aid/resolver. After testing the game, apart from a few shortcomings this implementation seams perfect.

Our main objection is the resolution and the lack of map zooming. We really would like to be able to show the whole map during diplomacy faces on our projector screen. This could be solved by adding higher resolutions and zoom or simply by allowing export of the current map as an image.

Other shortcomings are lack of optional rules and more kingdoms plus the ability to add more areas to existing kingdoms. Otherwise this is a perfect tool for us.
Thank you.

Jimmer -> RE: Resolution (12/27/2007 5:40:21 PM)

I've heard that the current resolution is as good as it will get in the near future. Same with the zoom feature.

However, this brought to my mind a suggestion for the developers: Add the capability to print the map (with current markings for corps, fleets, and control, perhaps?) When printing, having an option to print to multiple sizes would be really good. For instance, have a one-page map for discussions. And, have a four-page map (2x2 pages) for planning. Perhaps even a nine-page map (3x3 pages) for putting on a wall as a decoration.

GZEPKA -> RE: Resolution (12/28/2007 12:53:56 AM)

I wish the screen resolution was changeable, every time I use it it messes with my icons, also when I shut the lid on my notebook it messes the resolution up. I have a wide screen panel (just about all even the cheapies like my notebook come with them) so all the counters get the "Mike's Models" look. - stout Also the text is not so sharp as a resoult of not
displaying on the LCD's natural resolution.

That Idea about being able to print the map is great. Even if they just give us a GIF or other image file we could print it the size we want as some of us have different paper sizes etc.

Greg

Jimmer -> RE: Resolution (12/28/2007 6:21:56 PM)

Try starting your laptop and then immediately closing the lid (BEFORE Windows starts). That should cause Windows (XP, anyhow) to set itself to the resolution of the external monitor only (it will believe the laptop display is "not connected"). Then, set that display to 1024 x 768 or whatever that translates to in widescreen. THEN bring up the game.

Grollub -> RE: Resolution (12/29/2007 7:36:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: roos

Hi!
We are a gaming society in Stockholm (proxxi). Our intention with this game is to starta a face2face campaign with the computar game as a play aid/resolver. After testing the game, apart from a few shortcomings this implementation seams perfect.

Our main objection is the resolution and the lack of map zooming. We really would like to be able to show the whole map during diplomacy faces on our projector screen. This could be solved by adding higher resolutions and zoom or simply by allowing export of the current map as an image.

Other shortcomings are lack of optional rules and more kingdoms plus the ability to add more areas to existing kingdoms. Otherwise this is a perfect tool for us.
Thank you.

I don't want to seem overly critic, by why on earth would you need the computer game as support? I mean, if you are in the happy situation that you could play EiA gathered together FTF, why introduce something that IMHO only will decrease the gaming experience of the real thing? There are few things in my gaming life that I remember as vividly as those EiA gaming sessions almost twenty years ago, doing real diplomacy and gathering around the map for combat resolution and seeing empires being reduced to ashes due the combination of bad chit choices and equally bad dice rolls. However nice this computer game is, it can never fully replace the excitement of the real thing.

GZEPKA -> RE: Resolution (12/29/2007 9:46:21 PM)

Grollub,

While I agree with you in remembering all the games of EIA and where I have played through out the years is nice. I do see advantages of EIANW. Most of the time when I was playing I was away from the map, using a little version. I never tried to worry about the tactics of battles I relied on dice.

It takes along time to put up and take down the game, each club night; which is required where I play. That was a major problem when I use to play it at my club. I know their are now maps with area designations that would make it a little easier. The computer allows for less "accounting" errors to pop-up. Also, it will be Empire in Arms not Empire in Arguments; this was even when the original designer and later AH editor were in the room. Any minor computer issue will just be marked off as Fog War; not a shouting match or endless rule interpretations. It seemed every group played it a little different.

With this in mind, you can see why I thought the abilty to export and print the full map is a good idea. Everyone could get a copy to bring home for the week. Also my interest in how to speed-up the data entry of ones turn.

The ability for PBM is also very good when members of the group are unable to make the club meetings due to various reasons, it will let us stay in touch.

Greg

Grollub -> RE: Resolution (12/29/2007 10:24:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GZEPKA

Grollub,

While I agree with you in remembering all the games of EIA and where I have played through out the years is nice. I do see advantages of EIANW. Most of the time when I was playing I was away from the map, using a little version. I never tried to worry about the tactics of battles I relied on dice.

It takes along time to put up and take down the game, each club night; which is required where I play. That was a major problem when I use to play it at my club. I know their are now maps with area designations that would make it a little easier. The computer allows for less "accounting" errors to pop-up. Also, it will be Empire in Arms not Empire in Arguments; this was even when the original designer and later AH editor were in the room. Any minor computer issue will just be marked off as Fog War; not a shouting match or endless rule interpretations. It seemed every group played it a little different.

With this in mind, you can see why I thought the abilty to export and print the full map is a good idea. Everyone could get a copy to bring home for the week. Also my interest in how to speed-up the data entry of ones turn.

The ability for PBM is also very good when members of the group are unable to make the club meetings due to various reasons, it will let us stay in touch.

Greg

Maybe my (old) gaming group were a little unusual in that we seldom/never had any arguments concerning rules/accounting. But then, we also had the luxury of having the game standing at the same place (untouched by others) for the entire game. Otherwise I can understand the feelings that would arise if you can't agree upon 'accounting errors'. As the computer game again makes it possible to play against each other even though we nowadays live far apart from each other, I really loved this release. In short, I agree with your points.

My reply to 'roos', however, concerned mainly on why they were using the computer game as a game aid/resolver. As I understood his post they *are* setting a face-to-face game, and I can't for my life imagine how using the computer game would make the real thing any better or easier to play.

GZEPKA -> RE: Resolution (12/30/2007 5:17:04 AM)

The accounting errors were easy it was the rules interpretation. At times I got very frustrated because the arguments were about items that really were not impacting the game, well at least in my part. I also found that playing with different groups they played and interpreted the rules a little different. It is a fine game and with the EIANW it fits on the notebook.

kc_chiefs -> RE: Resolution (12/30/2007 9:42:29 AM)

Weren't there graphic-maps out there for Empire in Arms/Harm? Couldnt they be modified for whatever changes were made to Matrix version release?

GZEPKA -> RE: Resolution (12/30/2007 9:37:02 PM)

Yes there are they could be modified, but they will not have troop, ship and most important control information on them.

Greg

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI