this may take a few seconds... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support

Darino -> this may take a few seconds... (12/29/2007 11:41:45 PM)

Hi all..long time listener, first time caller [:D]

Just downloaded TOAW III today and when i run it, it goes thru all the intro stuff seemingly fine. Then when pick a scenario to play (i.e. France 1944 Cobra) it goes to a black screen that says 'This may take a few seconds...'. Only, it doesnt go any further, and when i go to task manager it has the program as 'not responding'. I am missing something obvious here, right?

My second qustion regards patches (if i may get a two-fer-one here)--- I have saved the latest patch for installment, so when i do open/save it, just where does it get saved? what file? Comp-101 questions, i know, i know.

Anyway, as someone that played the west front and east front games when they first came out long ago , i am eager to start up again and spend way to many hours playing!!!

Thanks for any and all help! (sorry in advance if this has already been covered..i looked all over and couldnt find anything. Prolly right in front of my nose as it tirns out)

JAMiAM -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (12/30/2007 12:41:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darino

First of all, thanks for the purchase!

quote:

Just downloaded TOAW III today and when i run it, it goes thru all the intro stuff seemingly fine. Then when pick a scenario to play (i.e. France 1944 Cobra) it goes to a black screen that says 'This may take a few seconds...'. Only, it doesnt go any further, and when i go to task manager it has the program as 'not responding'. I am missing something obvious here, right?

I'm not sure as to why you're having difficulty here, but have you done the basic stuff like ensure that you have the most recent drivers for your audio and video? What operating system are you using?

quote:

My second qustion regards patches (if i may get a two-fer-one here)--- I have saved the latest patch for installment, so when i do open/save it, just where does it get saved? what file? Comp-101 questions, i know, i know.

When you download the patch, you get a zipped file. You will need to extract the installer file from that zipped file. You can do this in Windows XP, by right-clicking on the zipped file, and choosing "Extract all...". Follow the default prompts and when it is finished extracting, it will display a folder with the extracted installer file. Then, click (or double-click, depending on your computer's setup) on the installer file to execute. You will be prompted to enter your serial number again, and if you did not change the default installation directory, by following the default prompts, you will patch the game by overwriting various files in the original installation.

quote:

Anyway, as someone that played the west front and east front games when they first came out long ago , i am eager to start up again and spend way to many hours playing!!!

Thanks for any and all help! (sorry in advance if this has already been covered..i looked all over and couldnt find anything. Prolly right in front of my nose as it tirns out)

Try patching first, and then try playing again. If this doesn't work, then try updating your drivers. If you still have problems, come back and let us know what they are. If no problems, let us know that, too. Good luck and have fun.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (12/30/2007 4:01:08 AM)

quote:

You're not waiting long enough. Be patient.

ColinWright -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (12/30/2007 8:50:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

You're not waiting long enough. Be patient.

You might want to define 'long enough.' I can see the poor bastard waiting for an hour.

...I just timed it. On my system, which is a mid-range Dell from two-three years back, the total time from agreeing I wanted to play 'Cobra' to actually being able to click things was 35 seconds. The actual 'This may take a few seconds...' notice flashed by so fast I couldn't have read it if I hadn't already known what it said.

Darino -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (12/31/2007 6:05:34 AM)

well, it appears that everything is going to be working okaly-dokaly. Takes about 35-45 seconds for it to load 'Cobra' after i select the scenario, but i can live with that. Hopefuly that is the worse case scenario, so to speak. Meanwhile, my rust shows as i try and play sans looking at rules/ratings info. This is a bit more involved than the original TOAW i have, i can tell ya that! Cant wait for the mailed version to reach me, so i can peruse the anticipated manual and get reaquainted with my geekdom heading into the new year!! [8D]

ColinWright -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (12/31/2007 8:19:29 AM)

quote:

well, it appears that everything is going to be working okaly-dokaly. Takes about 35-45 seconds for it to load 'Cobra' after i select the scenario, but i can live with that. Hopefuly that is the worse case scenario, so to speak.

A best case, I would think. One of my scenarios must take more like two-three minutes -- and you should have seen what happened (or to be precise, didn't happen) on my old computer.
quote:

Meanwhile, my rust shows as i try and play sans looking at rules/ratings info. This is a bit more involved than the original TOAW i have, i can tell ya that!

? It's about the same. A few bells and whistles -- but no major changes.

Anyway, never, ever read the manual. That's cheating.

Darino -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (1/1/2008 6:40:18 AM)

I AM rather bummed that i ordered the stuff to be mailed next-day delivery saturday, and here it is Monday and it hasnt gotten here yet. And with no mail Tommorow (Tuesday) for the holiday, i will presume that i wont recieve it until wednesday at the earliest---four days later. Makes me wonder why i even bothered spending the extra 20.00 or so to get it here express mail *sigh*. [:(]

ColinWright -> RE: this may take a few seconds... (1/1/2008 8:52:29 AM)

quote:

I AM rather bummed that i ordered the stuff to be mailed next-day delivery saturday, and here it is Monday and it hasnt gotten here yet. And with no mail Tommorow (Tuesday) for the holiday, i will presume that i wont recieve it until wednesday at the earliest---four days later. Makes me wonder why i even bothered spending the extra 20.00 or so to get it here express mail *sigh*. [:(]

That's what you get for trying to cheat.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI