Vista - ForgeOfFreedom.ini File (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support

harley -> Vista - ForgeOfFreedom.ini File (1/5/2008 5:14:50 AM)

From the Forge of Freedom Anniversary Extravaganza! thread

quote:

Program Options
• Added a NOFLASH option to the .ini file that disables the introductory Flash animation sequence when the
line “NOFLASH=1” is added to the ForgeOfFreedom.ini file.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pubcrawler

hmmmm. I'm having probs finding this file. i'm looking here C:\Matrix Games\Forge of Freedom and am able to see hidden files. I've checked save folders, etc... with no luck. any ideas?

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Check your Windows directory, often .ini files go there by default.

I have noticed that my Vista machine seems to prevent the creation of this file -- I've been investigating as to whether I need to give some sort of permission to FOF in order for it to be able to create .ini files. If anyone knows anything about Vista security and the prevention of .ini file creation, please send wisdom.

When starting the game, right click the link and select "run as administrator". If your account is an admin account you will be asked to confirm. If it's not, then you will need to type in an administrator username and password.

Once the file is created, and you've set your preferences you won't need to do this again, but any changes to settings within the game will only stick whenever you start under Admin credentials.

This is lovely Vista "User Access Control" at work.

Generally these days registry entries (Under HKEY_Current_User) are the preferred way to store changes like this.

Ive got a couple of other ideas on making this work without intervention... I'll come back to it after I have a session now...

ericbabe -> RE: Vista - ForgeOfFreedom.ini File (1/5/2008 8:48:51 AM)

Thanks!  I like the portability of .ini files, too bad Vista is making them harder to use.

harley -> RE: Vista - ForgeOfFreedom.ini File (1/6/2008 9:01:18 AM)

Hah!

In the olden days you could add a \windows folder in your \application data folder, and put personal .ini files in it... Again, Vista has changed that...

Anyways....

Every user profile will have their own ForgeOfFreedom.ini file, created on the first-run and located in

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows (%username% will generally work, but there are some exceptions)

You cut and paste this line to your run command to access it
%homepath%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Windows\ForgeOfFreedom.ini

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI