Research -- gasp! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States

balto -> Research -- gasp! (1/15/2008 12:52:14 AM)

I love you Matrix guys, I do. But I had to ask.., how come Gary did not put in that Research thing? I really loved that.

Anyway, I will get this when it comes out. It looks cool.

Thanks for everything.

bstarr -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/7/2008 4:17:01 AM)

Research ruins ACW games.  It makes them cheesy.  That's my opinion anyway.
bs

Joel Billings -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/7/2008 5:09:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

I love you Matrix guys, I do. But I had to ask.., how come Gary did not put in that Research thing? I really loved that.

Anyway, I will get this when it comes out. It looks cool.

Thanks for everything.

Gary decided he wanted to incorporate the historical weaspons technology improvements and that's built into the game. Even so, they aren't huge changes during the war (unlike during WWII). The feeling was that allowing research would take away from the realism in this case instead of enhance it.

GShock -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/7/2008 8:54:24 AM)

Union adv in weapons could be used in place of SIGINT and research pictures present in awd. I hope though that this historical adv, though cut out of players' moves, can be figuratively added in the later stages of the war where Union spencers and gatlings made a *huge* difference. Is there something like this? I.e. union fighting with +1 in 1864 ?

Joel Billings -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/7/2008 9:52:32 AM)

Union cav gets an extra die in 1864 when attacking, as does Union artillery. The former due to the rifles, the latter due to advances in ammunition (I think that's what Gary told me).

GShock -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/7/2008 6:46:26 PM)

That's already more than enough to give Union the edge, great!!!  (I love it that i already know what Gary is thinking when i post it and i'm not surprised he had already done it lol)

Crimguy -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/7/2008 7:58:51 PM)

Research is what killed it for me in Forge of Freedom.  It changed the feel of the game to something more akin to HOI or a RTS.

Bo Rearguard -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/8/2008 4:05:16 AM)

Ongoing funded research would seem a bit of a stretch for a CW game. 19th century innovations usually were the result of one man (like a Spencer or an Ericsson) with a brilliant new idea, not a lab full of guys in white suits with pocket protectors and slide rules demanding a few more dollars from the budget before they'll grant you radar. Usually the biggest hurdle faced back then was overcoming the conservative 'Old Guard' military types to get the new technology adapted.

GShock -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/8/2008 9:28:14 AM)

It is true Crimson, but the research you see in the game is about supporting industrially what Spencer did. The Union had the mags, the rebels could only capture rifles and ammos but not produce the clips. 

Grell -> RE: Research -- gasp! (5/8/2008 2:56:44 PM)

I'm glad there is no research, it is not the place for it.

Regards,

Greg

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI