RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support

ecn1 -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/21/2008 8:53:16 PM)

Ah Jimmer,

No, thats not what the rule book says. You might want to bone up on your reading. To quote:

"It is possible for one major power to conquer a secondary district (by controlling its capital) while another major power controls the major district For example, one major power can conquer Norway, by controlling Christiana while another major power conquers Denmark (the district) by controlling Copenhagen. When this happens, Sweden is considered a separate minor country from Finland, Denmark is considered a separate minor country from Norway. Once separated, the program will not allow for multi-district countries to re-form."

This paragraph clearly states that the secondary district is ONLY seperated if conquered by DIFFERENT MAJOR POWERS.
It implies that minor countries with secondary districts that are conquered by the SAME MAJOR POWER can be reformed.

If this is not correct, either the rules are misstated, or there is a programming error. Which is my point.

Erik

Grognot -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 12:34:35 AM)

Oh, right -- the Danish fleet must have evac'd there.

If they're actually blocking supply, though, shouldn't the intervening depot also be marked as out of supply? There's no city on that island; it's in the same sea zone; and Prussia doesn't have any fleets at all in that game, IIRC, so sea supply isn't a possibility.

Murat -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 1:37:47 AM)

This rule you quoted only means that a secondary district CAN (has the ability to be) be conquered by another power. Wars will also lapse if you do not watch this rule - I have seen several Finlands conquered and then Sweden going to whomever their controller was because the war lapses. Your problem is that once conquered each part becomes it's own minor so Denmark and Norway become conquered by whomever takes them, same country or not. Making a free state can only be done if a minor has corps and Finland, Norway, Sicily do not. Only by supporting the minor country with 2 provinces and WINNING that war (or it lapsing) will allow you to keep the 2 parts together.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecn1

Ah Jimmer,

No, thats not what the rule book says. You might want to bone up on your reading. To quote:

"It is possible for one major power to conquer a secondary district (by controlling its capital) while another major power controls the major district For example, one major power can conquer Norway, by controlling Christiana while another major power conquers Denmark (the district) by controlling Copenhagen. When this happens, Sweden is considered a separate minor country from Finland, Denmark is considered a separate minor country from Norway. Once separated, the program will not allow for multi-district countries to re-form."

This paragraph clearly states that the secondary district is ONLY seperated if conquered by DIFFERENT MAJOR POWERS.
It implies that minor countries with secondary districts that are conquered by the SAME MAJOR POWER can be reformed.

If this is not correct, either the rules are misstated, or there is a programming error. Which is my point.

Erik

Monadman -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 2:22:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecn1

Okay, I think this is a bug or programming oversight regarding minor countries with secondary districts

Here are two scenarios we have seen occuer in our pbem games.

Scenario 1:

Major Power A declares war on Denmark, Major Power B supports it and gains control of Denmark and conquered secondary district. In the econ phase, the secondary district contributes its manpower and income to the Danish Free State, NOT the controlling major power (major power B).

Scenario 2:

Major Power A declares war on Denmark, conquers it, and then later makes it a free state. The secondary district (Norway) contributes its money and manpower in the econ phase to Major Power A, NOT the Free State Denmark

Now, why the difference? Since Denmark and the secondary district were conquered by the same major power, shouldnt they be reconstituted together when made a free state? Why is Norway split off from the parent district in scenario 2?

Also, in our current pbem game, GB conquered Denmark as in scenario 2. GB made it a free state, had a garrison in it. GB went into the instability zone and Norway went neutral, but Denmark did not. I argue this is wrong. It should not have gone neutral unless the PARENT Major Districy WENT NEUTRAL. But, I think the reason was that the game things Norway is a conquered minor of GB - it should not, it should think its a conquered minor of Denmark, and should contribute its income and manpower to Denmark, not GB as outlined in scenario 2.

Is this a programming error or rules oversight? Because the rules imply that if both districts are conquered by the SAME major power, that the country can be reformed. However, obviously as noted in scenario 2, this was not the case when GB made Denmark a free state.

Erik

Erik,

It’s an EiANW deviation due to programming restraints. When a player declares the major district a free state, the program annexes the secondary district. Once separated, they cannot reform.

Richard

Monadman -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 2:30:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grimrod42

Bug
In Sweden the Stockholm area are should be forage value of 3 not 2 as it is now.

Actually, we purposely left that as [2], relocated Stockholm and removed the forest per EiH 4 map. Then we moved the ice line up so that Stockholm would not be iced in during the winter months (per EiA).

Richard

bresh -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 3:17:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognot

Oh, right -- the Danish fleet must have evac'd there.

If they're actually blocking supply, though, shouldn't the intervening depot also be marked as out of supply? There's no city on that island; it's in the same sea zone; and Prussia doesn't have any fleets at all in that game, IIRC, so sea supply isn't a possibility.

Well cant see in pic if its valid as part of supply chain, could had been when placed, but doesnt have to be now.

Regards
Bresh

delatbabel -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 12:33:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monadman

Actually, we purposely left that as [2], relocated Stockholm and removed the forest per EiH 4 map. Then we moved the ice line up so that Stockholm would not be iced in during the winter months (per EiA).

Richard

Have you ever visited the Baltic in the winter months?

"Iced in" doesn't even begin to cover it, especially in a particularly bad winter.

mariom1au -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 12:55:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

you ARE at PSA 24. EST PSA is estimated PSA based on upcoming predicted changes due to minors being conquered, etc.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mariom1au

I think I have found one with the PSA Chart.
I have started a PBM game as Turkey. I have DOW'ed Egypt (-1pp) and received control of Algeria and Tunisia (+2pp) then got an alliance with Britain.
So my net change is +2..
I should be at PSA24. However in the attached screen shot you can see it stated I am at 23.
It is interesting to note that the Vp, PSA adjustment and ELN are all correct if I had a PSA of 24.
Let me know if I need to send anything.
Mario

[image]local://upfiles/26403/169B04749BF64060A274769031D63557.jpg[/image]

Umm.. how do you know?
From the information displayed on the screen I could be 24 or 25?
Why do we have an estimated PSA?
I want to know my current status not a computer generated estimate, however that might be for a different place in the forum [:(]

bresh -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 1:07:49 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

you ARE at PSA 24. EST PSA is estimated PSA based on upcoming predicted changes due to minors being conquered, etc.

quote:

I think I have found one with the PSA Chart.
I have started a PBM game as Turkey. I have DOW'ed Egypt (-1pp) and received control of Algeria and Tunisia (+2pp) then got an alliance with Britain.
So my net change is +2..
I should be at PSA24. However in the attached screen shot you can see it stated I am at 23.
It is interesting to note that the Vp, PSA adjustment and ELN are all correct if I had a PSA of 24.
Let me know if I need to send anything.
Mario

[image]local://upfiles/26403/169B04749BF64060A274769031D63557.jpg[/image]

Umm.. how do you know?
I want to know my current status not a computer generated estimate, however that might be for a different place in the forum [:(]

Think if you look at the French bar you get the better picture.
The French bar shows 30.
But French estimate PS is 27.
Or the Austrian bar shows 21.
Austrian Est PS 14.

Actually didnt notiche that feature before now.

Regards
Bresh

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 6:17:59 PM)

quote:

Umm.. how do you know?

Look at the very end of the blue bar for each power. Mentally trace a straight line down from the end of the blue bar to the numbers below.

The easiest one to see this with is Austria's, as Bresh pointed out. The bar for Austria happens to be just a few pixels above the numbers. In this case, 21. Russia is at 30, Turkey 24, etc.

I believe there is an explanation of what goes into the estimated value in the manual (not the in-game one, but the full PDF version or the paper one).

Murat -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 8:06:30 PM)

You can also hold your cursor at the end of a bar and it will give you a popup with the current position number.

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/22/2008 8:52:21 PM)

Hey, Matrix guys: This discussion of the PSD brings up a point: The PSD could certainly stand to have a little more heft to it. I would say making it twice as big as it is wouldn't fill the screen, but would help people read it better.

WJPalmer1 -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/23/2008 1:52:01 AM)

"No, port supply source...depot on fleet lost" bug

This has happened twice in the same PBEM game. A GB one-factor HF had a depot onboard for invasion supply. The depot was suddenly removed and the event recorded (see language above) even though there are at least 2 unblockaded British supply-source ports with fleet counters and depots. The fleet with the depot was not moved in any way. In the files attached, this occurred immediately following the June British naval phase. Earlier it happened in the April Land/Land combat between the Prussian and French phases.

Annoying in that it requires GB to spend an additional $$ to place a new invasion supply depot.

Thanks,
Ron

gazfun -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) (2/23/2008 10:00:57 AM)

Richard and Marshall
I was having a email conversation, with someone that made a claim about EiANW
quote:

Garry,

I don’t wish to get into a pointless argument but here is a good and constructive criticism of the game. The game should store the game name and phase information in the header of the .pbm file, not in the physical name of the file. This would have prevented several problems during our game that were due to people processing renamed files. Any system that relies on physical file names is inherently insecure because it is so easy for people to manipulate them. If the  game instead checked a header within the file, it would know whether the file was the right one and it would be harder for people to “spoof” the game.

Jon

I was just wondering if this is possible? by doing just that, and also about file name issue?

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/23/2008 10:39:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: exp101

This has happened twice in the same PBEM game. A GB one-factor HF had a depot onboard for invasion supply. The depot was suddenly removed and the event recorded (see language above) even though there are at least 2 unblockaded British supply-source ports with fleet counters and depots. The fleet with the depot was not moved in any way. In the files attached, this occurred immediately following the June British naval phase. Earlier it happened in the April Land/Land combat between the Prussian and French phases.

Annoying in that it requires GB to spend an additional $$ to place a new invasion supply depot.

Thanks,
Ron

I've seen this bug many times, too. As GB, it's not so bad, because it just costs $1 to rebuild it. But, it's money that shouldn't need to be spent.

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01) (2/23/2008 10:47:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazfun

Hi Richard
I was having a email conversation, with someone that made a claim about EiANW

I was just wondering if this is possible? by doing just that, and also about file name issue?

Yes, it's technically possible. However, the code designer could just as easily make it not possible, too (by including the name of the file in the checksum hash). And, the only way to find out is to try to cheat. If the designers did it right, this should trash the game and force a restart from saved backup just prior to the attempt.

If that were to happen more than about twice, I don't know about you, but that person would be out of any campaign I was running.

Grognot -> CTD bug. (2/25/2008 2:29:17 AM)

This naval phase is giving me a CTD. Tried issuing no orders, tried issuing some orders -- a dialog box appears very briefly, but there's no time to read it before it crashes.

Grognot -> RE: CTD bug. (2/25/2008 3:08:39 AM)

CTD still occurs even if host skips that.  It is likely that the dialog box says 'Stack overflow'.  A possibly reasonable hypothesis is that it may have something to do with DOW while co-located with an enemy (enemy in French territory, due to previous grant of access).

Grognot -> Minors and depot destruction... (2/25/2008 7:45:25 AM)

A corps belonging to a major power, moving into a region with a depot belonging to an ally of that major, still destroys the depot and results in the 'do you want to use the depot for an automatic forage success at the cost of remaining movement?' dialog box.

bresh -> RE: Minors and depot destruction... (2/25/2008 2:07:05 PM)

quote:

A corps belonging to a major power, moving into a region with a depot belonging to an ally of that major, still destroys the depot and results in the 'do you want to use the depot for an automatic forage success at the cost of remaining movement?' dialog box.

Is this a question or statement ?
You dont need to eat depots, not even the one of your enemies.
Ahh tested it, you dont even get the chance to eat your allies depots.
Think I remember in EIA you could also convert a "lonely" depot into your own, atleast one from your ally.
I do miss that.

Regards
Bresh

pzgndr -> RE: Minors and depot destruction... (2/25/2008 3:38:02 PM)

Just a comment. I don't see "placing depot in enemy city area" on the confirmed bug list for land phase. I assume this is fixed for v1.02, based on Marshall's response:

quote:

I think we're going to let common sense prevail and make it necessary to have a friendly unmoved corps if a home nation city is enemy controlled.

After looking at the actual operation (Placing a depot in an area with an enemy controlled city and not friendly unmoved corps present) it seems that this is ludicrous and should be illegal. Maybe this wasn't addressed because there is no strategic reason to do this :-)

Grognot -> RE: Minors and depot destruction... (2/25/2008 8:47:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh

quote:

Is this a question or statement ?

A statement, as in I had just seen it when my Prussian-controlled Hessian corps moved into a formerly French province (ceded to Austria; Austria and Prussia were allies who had never been at war, and had each granted access to the other), and automatically destroyed the Austrian depot. This is a bug, since allies shouldn't automatically obliterate each others' depots, and the Hessians should have recognized the alliance between the relevant majors.

There's no Rhine-ish reason either, as the COTR had not been formed. The only time the Hessians -might- have been at war with Austria is if they were given to France upon my DOW on Hesse -- possible, but I don't remember clearly, and that would indicate a problem with DOW tracking on changes of ownership.

Jimmer -> Retreating incorrectly (2/26/2008 12:03:18 AM)

I reported this earlier, but I can't find where I did it. Also, this is a different position:

Notice that there is a Russian depot in St. Petersburg. There are no other Russia depots in the area, and most importantly, none in Scandinavia. So, by the rules, the Russians only have one retreat location: East, towards Russia. I'm not sure whether they should stop in Viborg or go all the way to St. Petersburg.

As you can see, however, the game retreated them west.

I've included screen shots before and after the battle (GB attacking Russia with a Swedish corps), plus the saved game (from before land combat). Keep replaying it until Sweden wins the battle to see the issue.

ecn1 -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/26/2008 6:31:23 AM)

Okay, I think this is a new bug as I did not see it on the bug list.

Situation

1. GB has surrendered to France and france took forced access as a victory condition.
2. Russia and France are at war
3. Russia declares war on sweden, GB get control
4. Russia lands in stockholm, takes capital. Garrisons stockholm with 1 inf and leaves a corp outside
5. Next turn France amphibiously lands a corp in stockholm to attack russia corp
5b - Note - France is NOT at war with Sweden
6. Russia loses battles, retreats to ajoining space. France does NOT besiege stockholm, just sits outside
7. Russia counter-attacks french corp...wins battle and french corp breaks

Now here is what I think is the bug. France does not retreat to an ajoining space, instead the corp and the attached leader become prisoners? why is that, since they have access...why cant they retreat from stockholm?

erik

WJPalmer1 -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/27/2008 6:06:40 AM)

Counter-attacking Besieged Corps Moved to Rural

This has happened twice in our PBEM game to date. A besieged corps unsuccessfully counter-attacked the besieging corps. As a result of the counter-attack, the program moved the besieged corps to the "rural" zone of the same area where it was then later attacked and forced to retreat to an adjacent area. I understand from EiA veterans in our game that an unsuccessful counter-attack by a besieged corps should leave that corps within the city.

Sorry that I don't have appropriate save games files to attach, but it seems to be the consistent result.

Regards,
Ron

bresh -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/27/2008 7:48:01 PM)

Bug with minor Free states with secondary district(conquered subdistrict). 

It is possible to ceede the secondary district of a minor Sweden(Finland)/Denmark(Norway)/Naples(Sicily), even when enemy forces are present in the province. Hope noone abuses this :)

Rule 12.7
A territory may not be ceded while it contains any forces of a major power at war with the controlling major power or, in the case of a minor country, separately at war with that minor country, unless it is ceded to that major power with forces inside that territory.

For minors. Im not sure if it should be possible to ceede a secondary district, while the Major District has enemy forces inside.

Regards
Bresh

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/27/2008 9:09:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: exp101

Thanks,
Ron

I've seen this bug many times, too. As GB, it's not so bad, because it just costs $1 to rebuild it. But, it's money that shouldn't need to be spent.

I tried some playtesting with this, and I found that it ALWAYS deletes the depot on a fleet at sea. Furthermore, it does not do so until after naval movement is complete. I did not have any naval battles, so I couldn't tell if it was between naval move and naval combat. But, they were gone at the beginning of the land movement phase, yet present at the beginning of the naval move phase.

NOTE: The depot which was the supply source for these depots was never removed, no was at least one fleet that was in that port (which isn't even required, but I just wanted to rule that out).

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/28/2008 4:58:12 AM)

New bug. Well, probably not new, but first time I have seen it.

The picture says it all: It's the British naval phase, and there is a corps counter in Amsterdam, yet the Holland fleet counters are both still there. They should have attempted to evacuate before my naval phase.

I've included the current save files, plus the saved reinforcement phase files, so you can see I really did own it prior to my naval phase.

By the way, I think you should re-think how evacuations are handled. In the original game, they occurred instantly. There really isn't a good reason not to maintain that tradition. Yes, I know, they get conquered in the land phase. But, you can still add a naval combat item. It would just be another file to upload (along with the land movement and land combat files).

BruceSinger -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/28/2008 5:36:05 AM)

Using V1.01b.
Playing GB
Besieging Constanople.  Turks have their fleet in port.  Britsh are in the blockade box.  Constanople never rolls for supply.  At least it does not show in the log.

Jimmer -> RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) (2/28/2008 8:09:04 AM)

Take a look at the picture. I've separated the two corps to make sure the Sweden corps was not covered up, and that it wasn't a rural vs. city issue.

The game will not allow me to place a Swedish corps in Cherbourg.

Now, in a very odd twist, the game WILL allow me to place a corp in the BESIEGED port of Le Havre. I just can't transfer factors to it. There are three problems there:

I shouldn't be able, according to the rules, to place a corps counter in a besieged city (even if all I am allowed to do with it is delete it).

Second, I am allowed to place a British corps IN THE FIELD of Le Havre, even though there are French boys already there, besieging me. Yes, it would be orphaned, but I shouldn't be able to build it in either spot, according to the rules.

The third thing is the rules: What can the justification be for not allowing a corps to attach and/or detach factors in a besieged city? This just doesn't make any sense. I can see an argument for not allowing new corps counters (although, even THAT is weak), but I can't come up with any decent reason for not allowing transfers just because they are besieged.

How's THAT? Four issues in one post. I'm proud of myself. :)

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI