Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

JWE -> Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 3:59:57 AM)

Thought this might be fun to look at for some folks.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/WW2/DanFarnham/wreckdiving2/wreckdiving2.html

witpqs -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 5:27:08 AM)

Very nice. Thank you.

goodboyladdie -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 9:38:56 AM)

This is excellent. The History or Discovery Channels could get an entire series out of this amazing site. I really hope he does some ship diving blogs, especially Prinz Eugen.

goodboyladdie -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 9:39:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

This is excellent. The History or Discovery Channels could get an entire series out of these amazing wreck sites. I really hope he does some ship diving blogs, especially Prinz Eugen.

Doh! This is what happens when you hit the quote button instead of edit and your eyes aren't yet open enough to realise...

BigBadWolf -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 10:29:50 AM)

This is great, although I'm a bit jelous now...

Thanks JWE.

siRkid -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 4:18:50 PM)

Thanks. Make you wonder what the story is behind each one. How they canme to be on the bottom and what happened to the crews?

Mistmatz -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 5:05:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kid

Thanks. Make you wonder what the story is behind each one. How they canme to be on the bottom and what happened to the crews?

Following some links from that page it appears they have been thrown into the ocean after the war was over and troops headed home.

patrickl -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 5:14:52 PM)

Very interesting photos! Thanks for the link!![&o]

Pat

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 5:42:52 PM)

What raises my eyebrows is that there is a dive club/business at Bikini Atoll which, you guessed it, coordinates dives on the wrecks there like Nagato and Saratoga.[X(] Won't these still be dangerously hot, and be that way for a few decades more at least?

Bikini Atoll Divers

rtrapasso -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/18/2008 6:09:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

What raises my eyebrows is that there is a dive club/business at Bikini Atoll which, you guessed it, coordinates dives on the wrecks there like Nagato and Saratoga.[X(] Won't these still be dangerously hot, and be that way for a few decades more at least?

Bikini Atoll Divers

Hot, yes... dangerously hot - i doubt it... plus water is a pretty good shield for radiation.

Knavey -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/19/2008 5:20:31 AM)

The only radiation to worry about at Bikini Atoll is the Cesium left over in the soil of the island.  That is not even a problem unless it is ingested, and that doesn't occur because everything you eat is flown in or brought in by boat!

Shark7 -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/19/2008 6:57:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

The only radiation to worry about at Bikini Atoll is the Cesium left over in the soil of the island.  That is not even a problem unless it is ingested, and that doesn't occur because everything you eat is flown in or brought in by boat!

Just remember the 5 second rule does not apply. [8D]

Caltone -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/20/2008 5:25:12 AM)

There's a special floating around the History and Discovery channels featuring actor Dennis Haysbert. In the show they dive Pearl Harbor including the midget sub sunk by the Ward, and Bikini atoll. Except for the dives within Pearl itself (restricted to national park personnel only), Haysbert himself participates in the other dives. The only concerns they seemed to have at Bikini were the depths of the wrecks.

Check the link below and take a look at the photo gallery.

Dennis Haysbert On Location

Knavey -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (1/21/2008 5:59:06 AM)

With a half life of 30 years for Cs-137 (which is the major source of contamination on Bikini) that means the 210 year rule would apply.  7 half lifes...hmmm, not sure the wrecks will really look that good in 2156 AD.  Probably will not be much reason to go there then.

Mobeer -> RE: Diving on Wrecks in Kwaj. (2/2/2008 1:58:48 AM)

The BBC have a new article on remains from Vanuatu:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7219429.stm

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI