Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers

Queeg -> Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 1:58:23 AM)

Why on earth do you require a serial number to install a patch?

So I'm on the road. I see there's a new patch of Advanced Tactics. Quick download. Should be a quick install. Since the game I paid for is already on my harddrive, which it wouldn't be if I didn't have the serial number when I originally installed the game.

But wait. I need the serial number again. The same serial number I already entered to install the game in the first place.

I'm on the road and don't have the CD. But I registered my game when I bought it. Which I couldn't have done unless I already paid for the game and had a valid serial number.

So I go to the Members Section, log in and look for my serial numbers. Fine, they will be emailed to me. I click and wait. And wait. And wait. No email. So I click again and wait. And wait. And wait. Still no email.

So it's now been almost an hour and I'm still screwing around just trying to install a freaking patch.

A patch for a game that's only on my harddrive because I had the serial number when I installed it.

Seriously, why do you guys make it such a pain in the ass just to install a patch? No other game company that I know of puts so much needless pain into what should be a simple process. I understand and respect the need to prevent piracy, but this just imposes a burden on people who already own the game. I seriously doubt there's much of a piracy market for patches. Please rethink this ridiculous policy.

Still waiting on the emails, by the way.

hadberz -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 3:16:01 AM)

The serial number can be found in here "C:\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics\serialreg.txt" It's also saved in the registry here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics

So no need to wait on the email.

Queeg -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 3:25:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

The serial number can be found in here "C:\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics\serialreg.txt" It's also saved in the registry here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Matrix Games\Advanced Tactics

Thanks.

Which makes Matrix's policy even more unnecessary and silly. Matrix, please fix this.

JAMiAM -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 6:18:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Queeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

Thanks.

Which makes Matrix's policy even more unnecessary and silly. Matrix, please fix this.

On the contrary, it is the means by which Matrix is able to weed out the compromised serial numbers that get out into "the wild" and get tagged. By requiring the serial number, and for it to not be blacklisted within the patch installer, this throws at least a small wrench in the works of casual pirateers, while not inconveniencing legitimate users a whit, since their valid serial number is only as far away as a cut and paste from the serialreg.txt file.

Terminus -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 12:39:32 PM)

Yeah, this should most certainly not be "fixed". This is only a problem for "casual pirateers"([:D][:D]) and people who are too lazy to cut and paste their serial numbers into the installer box.

Stop complaining!

e_barkmann -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 2:50:46 PM)

+1.

A very effective way to stop pirates getting a free ride on patch upgrades. I encourage Matrix to build serial blacklists into all their games patches in future as well.

cheers

Terminus -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 3:25:26 PM)

Also, the whiners don't come up with anything as an alternative (they never do). Would they prefer to have online activation? Having to be online when they want to play the game?

GARBAGE! They'd just whine about this instead.

Terl -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/22/2008 3:45:11 PM)

I never understood why the complaints.... I just keep a text file with all my matrix serials and they are ready to copy/paste whenever I need them. I like the Matrix system just as it is. It is a nice non-invasive way to still make piracy harder but still keep things easy for the customers.

Queeg -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/23/2008 1:49:44 AM)

OK OK I concede. You guys have convinced me that there is a rational reason behind all this. Being an honest, non-pirate gamer, I hadn't considered all the ramifications. You guys have persuaded me.

(Though to the reading comprehension-challenged among you, it wasn't laziness. I didn't know that the serial number was in the game folder. I missed the memo on that apparently. I went to the Members Section to retrieve my serial number and followed the directions there. It would have been nice if the Matrix website had pointed that out as an alternative to the email route - which frankly would have been easier on both of us.)

e_barkmann -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/23/2008 2:48:58 AM)

I think Matrix could improve the information in their supplied game manuals regarding the serial number system for sure, and outline exact steps needed to be taken when trying to retrieve. It's a common question in the forums.

cheers

Marc von Martial -> RE: Why Require Serial Number To Install PATCH? (1/23/2008 9:33:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

I think Matrix could improve the information in their supplied game manuals regarding the serial number system for sure, and outline exact steps needed to be taken when trying to retrieve. It's a common question in the forums.

cheers

Noted, and nudged up to the responsible persons here.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI