A present for my friends (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

m10bob -> A present for my friends (1/27/2008 5:20:20 PM)

Here guys..

http://techcenter.davidson.k12.nc.us/Group9/home.htm

SMK-at-work -> RE: A present for my friends (1/27/2008 10:50:04 PM)

nice.

A couple of things tho - could yuo reorient the map for the battle of the Marne so that north is "up" - it's quiet confusing.

Secondly......most of the "decisive battles" weer not decisive...they were bloody stalemates that achieved nothing at all - Somme, Passchendale, Ypres, etc.....none weer decisive in the least IMO.

And you left out the Brusilov offensive - arguably it knocked 2 empires out as major combatants, leaving them shells that would collapse and fall apart in 1918.  Not the decisive result that was wanted......but pretty important none-the-less.

Other decisive battles (IMO) -
Suez Canal in 1915 - small, but stopped the Turks.
Palestine 1917 - crushed the Turks
St Michael & St George 1918 - as with Brusilov the last gasp of a shaking empire - led to the collapse of the army in September-October, revolution at home, and the end of the war.

boogada -> RE: A present for my friends (1/28/2008 12:23:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

A couple of things tho - could yuo reorient the map for the battle of the Marne so that north is "up" - it's quiet confusing.

Secondly......most of the "decisive battles" weer not decisive...they were bloody stalemates that achieved nothing at all - Somme, Passchendale, Ypres, etc.....none weer decisive in the least IMO.

I only took a short look at that site but those were the first two things that came into my mind. Also: the map of Jutland seems wrong, there was nothing coming from the east.

m10bob -> RE: A present for my friends (1/28/2008 1:58:57 AM)

Uhhh...guys...It is not my website...I was offering the site address for players who might not have seen it??..

SMK-at-work -> RE: A present for my friends (1/28/2008 2:09:35 AM)

lol....well it didnt' come across as that.....ok...you're forgiven...we'll ahve to have a chat with the woner....

wargamer123 -> RE: A present for my friends (1/28/2008 6:22:38 AM)

Heh, WW1 history

I actually saw a guy not too long ago, a Brit on the History Channel or Discovery... Still alive from WW1

mentioned the Deadliness of British Artillery

How many WW1 vets do you think are still alive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_veterans_of_World_War_I

If you follow this link, you'll see how rare they are now... Of the millions they are mostly gone. Suprisingly enough a lot of Brits, and living in Australia, probably due to the nice weather? Or the Tea? As I recall reinforcements called for ammo, rifles, shells, Artillery, Tobacco and most importantly Tea? An antioxidant

1 German I think is all i see on the List... That's how thorough that war was, I don't believe I see a Russian at all... and you can probably attribute the long life of the Italians to their low stress lifestyle

I had no clue over the past 15-20 years just how thorough that age is going into the darkness

Hats off for 1 second to the Fighting men of the Original Death March

I think Noone ever imagined the scale of WW1 could ever touch that, they envisioned some sort of relived Napoleon war.... which was actually not that much less bloody, just the tools of the trade were that much more evolved

P.S. what a lot of Euros and other people forget the foundation of WW1 fighting originated in the Trenches of the American Civil War. Another very frightful experience 600k lost in a nation of what 30 or so million

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI