Wargames on DS/PSP (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

marcusm -> Wargames on DS/PSP (1/28/2008 8:50:39 PM)

Given the success of turn based strategy games on these formats. Why hasn't there been an attempt to make more traditional war-strategy games for these formats? I think these formats are perfect for turn based games.

What happened to Warlords and Jagged Alliance for DS btw? Those games are basically system sellers for me.

sterckxe -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 9:15:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm
Given the success of turn based strategy games on these formats. Why hasn't there been an attempt to make more traditional war-strategy games for these formats?

Panzer Tactics DS

http://www.panzertactics.com/index.php?id=34&L=1
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/panzertactics/index.html
http://nds.gamezone.com/news/10_02_07_09_40AM.htm
Preview : http://www.gameshark.com/previews/3282/Panzer-Tactics-DS-Preview.htm
Review : http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/blog/2007/11/19/army-group-kitchen-table-panzer-tactics-ds/

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

IainMcNeil -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 4:06:55 PM)

And don't forget this ;)

http://www.slitherine.com/games/ph_rome

marcusm -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 4:28:02 PM)

More in line with what I wanted. I am not very interested in JRPG styled wargames.

jvgfanatic -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 6:17:56 PM)

You may not like Japanese Strategy games but here's a good list of them for several consoles. Some of these are good, some are not, some are turn based, some are real time, some are strategy games, some are strategy RPGs. It's a general list that somewhat matches the topic title.

An "*" after a title means it is Japanese only. I've played all of these games for the most part so can answer questions about them.

Nintendo DS
San Goku Shi Taisen DS*
SD Gundam G Generation DS*
Front Mission
Super Robot Wars W* - (really nice SRW title, in fact, one of the best)
Mage Knight: Destiny's Soldier
Daisenryaku DS*
Battles of Prince of Persia
Advance Wars DS
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Daikouku Jidai Rota Nova*
The Settlers
1701 A.D.: Dawn of Discovery (EU only)
Panzer Tactics DS
Ys Strategy

PSP
Daisenryaku Portable*
Daisenryaku Portable 2*
Daikouku Jidai 4: Rota Nova*
Mobile Suit Gundam Giren no Yabou*
Carnage Heart Portable*
Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 - Combined 1 & 2 in one game, SRPG with heavy anime stylings
R-Type Tactics* - Gonna be released in English as well!
Field Commander - Somewhat forgettable but worth mentioning
Jeanne D'Arc
Final Fantasy Tactics
Warhammer 40,000 Squad Command
SOCOM Tactical Strike - (not exactly strategy but very, very tactical, it's not an action game like other SOCOMS)
Warhammer Battle for Atluma - Card game that is somewhat strategic
Dungeons & Dragons Tactics - Buggy and a crap interface but otherwise okay
Aedis Eclipse Generation of Chaos
Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness
Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force 2
Daisenryaku VII Exceed* - Japan (Coming Soon)
Mobile Suit Gundam Giren no Yabou* (some other subtitle) - PSP (Coming Soon)

Gameboy Advance
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
Rebelstar Tactical Command
Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2
Z.O.E. Fist of Mars
Napoleon* - RTS in Japan and France only
Yggdra Union - Quite unusual
Combat Choro Q Advanced Daiskusen* - Cartoony tanks do it up tbs style
Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem Sacred Stones - plus a Japan-only one that precedes these two
Mech Platoon - RTS, not played it much but loads of customization
Black/Matrix Zero*

Gameboy Color
Warlocked - RTS, very well done for the Gameboy Color
Heroes of Might & Magic - Tiny, tiny details make the game somewhat difficult

Playstation 2
Standard Daisenryaku: Dengekisen*
Standard Daisenryaku: Shiwareta Shouri*
Daisenryaku 1941*
Daisenryaku VII Exceed
Sega Ages Advanced Daisenryaku*
Suikoden Tactics
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII, VIII, IX, XI
Nobunaga's Ambition (mostly Japanese but one in english this year!)
Super Robot Wars (2@, 3@, MX, Impact, OGs, OGG)*
Taikou Risshiden V*
Global Defense Force Tactics (EU/JP Only)
Robot Warlords (JP/EU Only)
The Seed (JP/EU Only)
Disgaea, La Pucelle, Disgaea 2, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, etc...
Soul Nomad (haven't tried this myself)
Dynasty Tactics and Dynasty Tactics 2
Namco X Capcom*
Chaos Wars (coming soon to the states)
Black/Matrix 2*
Age of Empires II (JP/EU Only)
Culdcept (card/board game) - one of the best games ever IMO
Front Mission 4
Front Mission 5*
GrimGrimoire (RTS)
Kessen I, II and III (RTS)

Noypi53 -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 7:08:16 PM)

Hi jvgfanatic,

I've thought of buying Front Mission & Mage Knight for the DS. How was your gaming experience with the two of them?

Thanks,
Noypi53

Peter Fisla -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 7:13:56 PM)

PSP
Daisenryaku Portable*
Daisenryaku Portable 2*

I have Daisenryaku on my original XBOX and I think it's a  cool game, I didn't know it was available on PSP but only in Japan :(
Is there any way these games have English Language supported and where I could get them in North America ?

I have for my PSP:

Dungeons & Dragons Tactics - it's actually a cool little game...sometimes the game crashes and freezes PSP so I need to save a lot.

Jeanne D'Arc - is more like a puzzle game than "wargame" ...I don't like the gameplay much

Final Fantasy Tactics - I have it but I'm still playing D&D Tactics...will try it once I finish D&D

Warhammer 40,000 Squad Command - I had the demo not bad but I don't care for Warhammer stuff...a WW2 version of the engine would be cool!

It would be really cool to something like Steel Panthers WW2 on PSP...that would be the ultimate for me :)

jvgfanatic -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 7:21:29 PM)

Front Mission - definitely some old-school tastes here. The graphics aren't up to today's standards but if you can look past the fact that it's an SNES (SFC in Japan) game then it's got some measure of depth to it. If you like mech, turn-based combat then it's well worth it. The battle animations (okay, so I'm focusing on graphics again, sorry) are rather lame but the mech customization, while not up to Front Mission 2, 3, 4 or 5, is well done and quite deep. The story is good, classic Front Mission. It has been said that only FM (&DS) as well as FM5 are the only ones to have a genuine Front Mission feel. I don't necessarily agree with that but then I tend to ignore the stories in most of these games anyway. If you've played FM 3 or 4 (the only ones to get US localization) then you do know what to expect, albeit in a bit shallower form.

Mage Knight - The challenge of this fantasy TBS game is like a roller coaster. Some stages will have you tearing your hair out while others will be so easy you wonder if there's even a game in there. It's one of those games that really only rewards those who stick with it because some elements (building your army) don't come to fruition until later in the game. The writing in the game is better than the average console game and since it was originally an English title you don't have the translation issues that you find in most other TBS console games. Mage Knight is based on a tabletop game of the same name and some of the rules are quite obscure and either not well documented or the documentation isn't obvious.

The element I liked most about Mage Knight is the element that made the tabletop game special. As each unit takes damage its characteristics change. For example, a barbarian might go into a berserker rage if it's health is reduced past a certain point. Each unit has several stats that change as damage is taken and this keeps things interesting in what might otherwise be (aside from the story) a droll strategy game. Honestly I've not played it past the halfway point but it's a game I do look forward to completing one day (unlike others that I've played halfway through knowing I'll never play them again.)

Sorry these descriptions are rough around the edges, kind of busy and distracted here. If you have any questions or something didn't make sense please do ask.

jvgfanatic -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 7:23:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

PSP
Daisenryaku Portable*
Daisenryaku Portable 2*

I have Daisenryaku on my original XBOX and I think it's a  cool game, I didn't know it was available on PSP but only in Japan :(
Is there any way these games have English Language supported and where I could get them in North America ?

You can use my translation guide for DP for DP2 and D DS. The game is cake to understand once you understand what stats are what. It's far from overwhelming on the language front. No plans to release any of those in English though Valcon is taking a look at D7E for PSP. It depends on how well D7E for the PS2 sells.

ravinhood -> RE: Wargames on DS/PSP (1/29/2008 7:39:20 PM)

Man "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" has that many sequels now? XI??? I say if they can do a Rot3K on a console they should be able to do any "wargame" or turn based strategy wargame on them. I would give my left noodle to be able to play some of the better wargames on a console. Imagine playing Medieval Total War on your 52" HD screen. ;) Man...that would be awesome. Turn based wargames from Matrixgames should be so easy to do also. No rush to put the cursor of a console over the unit to move it. Cmon get off of PC's and get on consoles. ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI