Arty - Better to miss than hit? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Windo von Paene -> Arty - Better to miss than hit? (9/19/2000 2:02:00 AM)

So I'm trying out the "Can you save the 78th" scenario, and with the massive amounts of artillary the Soviets are dropping on me, I've started to notice a pattern which I hadn't before. It appears that more causalties are caused by artillary that falls in a hex next to a squad than those that actually hit the squads hex. I would say that 3 out of 5 shells that land adjacent to a squad are causing a casualty, where on a direct hit it's more like 1 in 5. Anyone else seen this behavior, or am I just imagining it. BTW, seems like a pretty good scenario so far. I've taken out 5 of the Russian tanks on the east side of the map, and am making pretty good progress towards the west. Course I just stumbled onto some Ruskies coming from the north, so it looks like things are going to be heating up a bit...

Rover -> (9/19/2000 2:33:00 AM)

Now that you mention it I've seen this as well...

Paul Vebber -> (9/19/2000 3:34:00 AM)

This has come up before - We're taking a look at it....

Tank -> (9/20/2000 10:49:00 AM)

Yup, gotta concur. I've seen guys in a building get whacked to the tune of two or three while the guys OUTSIDE of the building, IN the hex that the shells were falling in took no casualties. I guess it was,"Hey, Joe, come look at this..." While the guys outside were yelling, "Take cover! Incoming!" "Joe? Joe, where are you boy? Ooh! Damn. Yuck!." [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img] Regards, Tank [This message has been edited by Tank (edited September 19, 2000).]

Charles22 -> (9/20/2000 8:25:00 PM)

I think the artillery's been made more potent than it was in V2.3, as well.

Windo von Paene -> (9/20/2000 10:27:00 PM)

Charles Well it certainly seems that arty and airstrikes do a lot more suppression that they used to. Started WB's "Bloody Trail" scenario the other day, and there were some opening airstrikes that just wasted my dudes fighting fortitude.

Wild Bill -> (9/20/2000 10:59:00 PM)

This situation is being corrected in a 4.1 patch. We are listening...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

Paul Vebber -> (9/21/2000 12:28:00 AM)

The "collateral damage" to artillery is toned down that is, but the suppresion effects of bombs in particular are still far reaching... Killing in general has been toned down a bit inversion 4.1 - more retreating and such, less units evaporating...

Ballan -> (9/21/2000 12:40:00 AM)

On the first mission june 1941 on the lomh campaign I was the defending German force, dug in against the assaulting Russian over a river crossing. At the end I counted up the Russian artillery support "30 batteries of 152mm guns, batteries not just guns" . No wonder I took heavy casualities but still won a decisive victory. Hard topped AFVs should be more resistant to in direct fire with the greater chance of destroying secondary systems and tracks.

Tombstone -> (9/21/2000 2:19:00 AM)

With the big adjacent hex damage bug in effect air-strikes are devastating to infantry. You land 4 500lb bombs on a hex and you get to see massive death. Its pretty neat, but I'm glad its getting looked at for 4.1 Tomo

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI