Pyle death photo (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Joe D. -> Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 3:16:41 PM)

"COMMAND POST, IE SHIMA, April 18 (AP) _ Ernie Pyle, war correspondent beloved by his co-workers, GIs and generals alike, was killed by a Japanese machine-gun bullet through his left temple this morning ..."

A photo of the deceased correspondent -- never before published in deference to his widow -- was recently released to the public.

Any thoughts on this?

Ie Shima is a small island off Okinawa.

The story can be located at : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22980127/?GT1=10856

Mike Scholl -> RE: Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 3:22:09 PM)

I respect withholding it for the sake of hie widow..., but as there are thousands of photos of people killed in the Second World War available, I don't see a problem with releasing one more.

Terminus -> RE: Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 3:24:33 PM)

Two threads on this photo?

Joe D. -> RE: Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 6:57:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Two threads on this photo?

I did my post first thing his am and didn't notice any other thread re the photo.

crsutton -> RE: Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 7:02:22 PM)

It is what it is. We have all seen enough photos of dead people in WWII and all of them are sad.

As a young teenager, a collection Ernie Pyle's writings was one of the first serious books I ever read on WWII. A great newspaper writer.

Joe D. -> RE: Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 7:07:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

I respect withholding it for the sake of hie widow..., but as there are thousands of photos of people killed in the Second World War available, I don't see a problem with releasing one more.

Pyle was laid-out as if he were in a funeral home, but w/o a casket; one writer said except for the trickle of blood from his mouth, he looked like he was asleep.

Photos of slain US troops in WW II were basically forbidden until the end of the Pacific war; I forget the rationale for this change, but in most instances, the faces of the dead weren't discernable.

In the Civil War, Mathew Brady and his gang of ghouls were notorious for posing dead Confederate soldiers, even to the point of draging them to new locales, i.e., "Death of a Confederate Sharpshooter".

Joe D. -> RE: Pyle death photo (2/4/2008 7:16:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

... As a young teenager, a collection Ernie Pyle's writings was one of the first serious books I ever read on WWII. A great newspaper writer.

And everyone from all ranks both liked and respected him; he basically traveled, lived and ate like they did, unlike many of today's war correspondents. I still recall the film of his ETO stories; it starred Burgess Meredith (as Pyle) and Robert Mitchum.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI