Right-click attack, auto attacks - no menu? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support

greaseman -> Right-click attack, auto attacks - no menu? (2/8/2008 11:16:52 PM)

Hey all, just purchased the game (love it - amazing amount of scenarios), and can't seem to figure out one little issue. Sometimes when I have a unit selected and want to attack an enemy unit in an adjacent hex, I'll right click on the enemy unit to bring up the attack menu (i.e. single unit attack, all units attack, plan an attack, etc...), but instead of getting the attack menu, my unit will automatically attack the enemy unit I'm targeting without letting me give it any specific attack orders. So, I can't plan an attack against this enemy unit, it just auto attacks it and resolves the combat immediately. Can anyone tell me why? (does it have to do with some sort of auto-retreat by the defending unit...?) Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

JAMiAM -> RE: Right-click attack, auto attacks - no menu? (2/8/2008 11:28:12 PM)

Hi,

Thanks for the purchase. What you're describing is a "retreat before combat". You can do a search in the manual for that term, and it will explain the process. In short, your unit is overrunning the defending unit, or causing it to flee before it is fully engaged.

greaseman -> RE: Right-click attack, auto attacks - no menu? (2/9/2008 12:08:00 AM)

Thanks for the quick reply! I figured that was probably it - I read about it in the manual, but it's confusing to me because I would have thought that I would still need to designate the type of attack (regular or limited, acceptable losses, etc...) and execute it before the defender decides to retreat. Plus, right clicking on the target unit doesn't necessarily mean I want to attack, I may want to see what the potential success would be with the plan attack option. Is there any way around this? (i.e. a check to see if an auto-retreat will occur before right clicking on a target unit)

JAMiAM -> RE: Right-click attack, auto attacks - no menu? (2/9/2008 12:29:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: greaseman
Is there any way around this? (i.e. a check to see if an auto-retreat will occur before right clicking on a target unit)

No, because it is based on a probabilistic trial, at the time of execution. There are ways of avoiding the rbc, but IMO, 99.9% of the time, learning to predict, and exploit the situations your rbc's cause is a much better use of your time and units than trying to avoid them.

greaseman -> RE: Right-click attack, auto attacks - no menu? (2/9/2008 12:36:15 AM)

Ok, cool.....thanks again for the quick replies!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI