RE: Basic noob help (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Grotius -> RE: Basic noob help (2/20/2008 7:51:11 AM)

Welcome to the party! As you seem to be discovering, the turns actually go by pretty quickly once you're past the dreaded Turn One! Once you set things in motion, the following turns are a lot easier to plot. To be sure, sometimes a turn takes a lot longer, say if you're planning a big invasion or something. But in general, if you can get through the first couple of days, you'll find the pace really does pick up.

Also, a word to CallMeFrank: don't worry about making mistakes. Against the AI, I think the game is more fun if you make mistakes! Setbacks test your resiliency, and they make ultimate victory all the more sweet.

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/20/2008 2:07:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

You will also want to decrease the time of various combat resolutions. Hit the "P" button when you have the game open and decrease the time for a2a combat and for land combat. If not, when the AI runs the turn for both sides, it could take you over 1 hour just to go through it. You may want to experiment on the settings as you play the game, but with combat animations on with computer settings, an a2a battle could be longer than a cup of coffee to drink. [:D]

Actually, I prefer to savor the resolution phase and don't want it to go by too quickly. After all, the orders phase is supposed to be nothing more than a vehicle to get to the resolution phase and not an end in itself. I slow the combat reporting down to 2.0 second delays so I can actually read them as they flash on the screen. If a particular combat looks like it will drag on in a boring manner (such as strafing shipping with 75 P39s) I can also hit the button to resolve it quickly and take my time reading the final report.

AcePylut -> RE: Basic noob help (2/20/2008 4:18:11 PM)

I always watch all of the combat replay...

it's the only way to tell if that "shell hit" was a .50 cal or a 14" incher.  Also, it's the only way to tell if that bomb hit was froma 60kg bomb that did 1 sys damage, or an 800kg bomb that penetrated the belt and did massive explosive damage.

There was a time were I just skipped by the cr and would read the log, and that caused me to make some terrible assumptions.  "Oh goodie the North Carolina took 14 bomb hits, she should be crippled, send in a small surface TF to give the coup de grace... (2 turns later) wtf my small surface TF just got ripped to shreds by that monster!"

Scott_USN -> RE: Basic noob help (2/23/2008 3:11:17 AM)

Personally I think 3 hours for allies first turn is a but excessive. I generally spend 20 to 40 mins getting setup. You don't have to do everything on the first turn anyway. Not like Japan will be invading the west coast on Dec 8.

I get the big convoys on the west coast setup to start supply runs this takes more time then just about anything
Send the subs off
Move the ships back from the Japanese offensive to Australia etc
Take a look at the damaged ships and move any to large ports that I think can make it otherwise I forget them
Load up some troops that can be moved such as engineers etc and get them loading
Check out the air groups and get them reinforced and move the ones I need moved not many on day one to move around mostly need pilots in Pearl

I setup Kerachi supply runs and move the scattered ships in the India theater to where they need to be

Sure I could spend more time doing stuff but there is no need too you have hundreds of turns ahead of you and don't need to do everything the first day. The game is very forgiving for any mistakes you make unless you send your whole fleet into Japanese waters the first day but then even that would not be the end.

3 hours though haha no way I don't have that patience.

Nomad -> RE: Basic noob help (2/23/2008 3:52:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

I always watch all of the combat replay...

it's the only way to tell if that "shell hit" was a .50 cal or a 14" incher.  Also, it's the only way to tell if that bomb hit was froma 60kg bomb that did 1 sys damage, or an 800kg bomb that penetrated the belt and did massive explosive damage.

There was a time were I just skipped by the cr and would read the log, and that caused me to make some terrible assumptions.  "Oh goodie the North Carolina took 14 bomb hits, she should be crippled, send in a small surface TF to give the coup de grace... (2 turns later) wtf my small surface TF just got ripped to shreds by that monster!"

I really, really hope they fix this in AE.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI