basic strategy for a noobie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

dean -> basic strategy for a noobie (2/14/2008 3:42:18 AM)

It has been awhile since I have played a land based wargame(more of a naval guy). Anyhow, back in the day when I was playing Third Reich, I think the general strategy was to get a breakthrough in the front lines move your armor through- surround the enemy and attack from all sides and, also break the supply lines. WHen I read after action reports of guys pushing towards Paris I am curious as to how this gets done. Are folks exploiting a breakthrough or are entire lfront lines getting pushed back.

I have had this game for about a week and I really like it but I suck at it. I always play as CP and and I am getting waxed. I think I may need to use more armor barrages and perhaps play as the TE. ANyhow, and help would be appreciated.

wargamer123 -> RE: basic strategy for a noobie (2/14/2008 8:07:03 PM)

dean, i find that the most do not understand the ebb and flow of this sort of combat, it's no Third Reich. With tanks, mobile units and airpower... In my opinion this is more like Napoleonic warfare is in the opening stages or Franco-Prussian War then it is like WW2 in the opening stages at least..... men still march, slowly and you have to build a front, you can encircle and you can have Spearhead Thrusts toward objectives you want but you have to be very deliberate about it. I took Paris in a game within a few impulses with a clever action I attacked my Enemies reinforcements instead of Paris and just occuppied the city... Game over, period

Protect strong points and dig in... Fire your artillery out in the open on foolish highly mobile units. Don't squander your HQ points on worthless attacks. Take out an objective with overwhelming force. Encircling isn't as important as resources unless you get a HUGE encirclement usually.......You can do whatever you want, look at the resources, count the hexes and count the mobility you will need to do something that will win. Generally the naval game is simple but you can get complex with it if you play around with the game engine, it allows for a lot of alternative possibilities. Knowing what units will pop as time goes on and what your assets are helps so more you play better you'll get. There are tons of postings in this forum on the intricacies of this game. Much better advice than I can give. Anyway:

You can invade Turkey and do Gallipoli, you want some sea action? Very interesting! You can conquor the Balkans for the AH and carve out a massive Archdukedom... You can mow down France or Russia with highly organized German Corp Groups. You can use the French and British to help the Italians push into the Heart of the CP cut them in two.  You can do whatever you want. Usually players react, but those who win  usually set the tempo, that's up to you... But you must have your basics down to do it... Play about 10 matches Newbie ones you'll get the hang of it, plenty of players at your level around now

BTW: I won my 2nd game so you can learn really really fast if you read up first! 

SMK-at-work -> RE: basic strategy for a noobie (2/15/2008 11:12:42 PM)

Wargamer gives good advice - they key is that you need to be deliberate IMO - things _can_ happen quickly in game turns - a phase or 2....but generally only if you have a plan and stick to it.

Pick an objective - think how many HQ points you might needed, mass your artillery and air, save your gas and barrages...then strike....you might be surprised.....

Proper use of HQ points is crucial IMO - they are very expensive and easy to waste - eg to get maximum "bang for your buck" spread your HQ's along the line so each can activate the maximum number of hexes, and no hexes are being activated by 2 HQ's.

Another thing you may have noticed - you only get 2 artillery barrages per manufacturing point until mid 1915, thereafter you get 3. So you shouldn't try to buy as many barrages as you will later - you'll need those extra manufacturing points for troops and trenches more than artillery.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI