RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Grell -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (2/29/2008 5:39:15 PM)

You know what, I was probably the only person on the planet that liked Victoria. LOL!

Regards,

Grell

marcusm -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (2/29/2008 5:44:07 PM)

There is a following but I personally have higher hopes for Vainglory of Nations.

Phil has the correct inspiration source, Pax Britannica. This is the game to base all Imperial/Colonial era
games on.

Phatguy -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (2/29/2008 5:49:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I'm not sure if that engine can properly reflect the Napoleonic era. I'd be interested in a hex-based Napoleonic game for sure but right now I'm not sold on this one. If they don't have a grand campaign, then I'm definitely out!

What is this obsession with 'grand campaigns'? I saw exactly the same thing in relation to the AGEOD game where such a thing clearly doesn't belong even more obviously than might be the case here. Compare and contrast with the American Civil War game from the same people. The phrase "Napoleonic Wars" has an 's' on the end for a reason.. they were NOT a 'grand campaign'.

Well, I for one prefer "grand campaign" style games.Part of it is the feeling I get that i'm getting more bang for my buck. I'd much prefer to play the eastern front 41-45 100 times(lets use GG's War in Russia as an example)than Kursk 50 times. To me that would be boring.Same old same old...More options. I would not drop forty bucks on yet another version of waterloo but would drop 40 or so on a grand campaign style game .

just my 3.4 cents

*Lava* -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (2/29/2008 9:25:22 PM)

Well..

From what I understand, there are grand campaigns. The player merely selects the starting date and off you go... to the bitter end.

Ray (alias Lava)

Joram -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (2/29/2008 9:56:20 PM)

That would be cool, but then I just go back to my original thoughts on whether the engine itself is appropriate for the era.  Guess will have to wait and see and play the demo.   I did like C:EaW.  Despite some balance issues, it was a great beer and pretzels game. 

ravinhood -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (2/29/2008 11:41:39 PM)

Ever since I guess Squad Leader from then on I've just grown closer and closer to tactical and grand tactical games. I don't know how you guys can play these simulations or grand campaign games any longer since they are almost always the same. Like Korsun Pocket? I mean how many times can you play that and it not be the SAME? Even these ETO and WTO ones are the same after just a couple of plays. Germany starts out strong and then gets waylayed at the end. The only way those are fun is if you remove the restrictions of Russia and USA entering the war and that just makes it even more lopsidded earlier for the Germans.
But, tactical with random maps and random unit setups and constructions man that's the way to go for me. Every battle is different, every situation is different. Every objective is different. I could play Combat Mission till I die and never grow bored of it. Same with Steel Panthers W@W. I really hope someone does Memoir 44 for the PC too cause that looks like a lot of random generated fun as well. ;) I'm also looking foward to Kharkov because it's going to offer up what is great about tactical battle games another Quick type Battle generator.

So, grand campaign games (unless it's tactical grand campaign game like Medieval Total War origional) are boring and simulations of a specific battle are the ultimate boring (once you've played them a couple of times). Unless they add a lot of OPTIONS like "Forge of Freedom" and the outcome isn't the same every game and has TACTICAL battles in it as well. ;)

So what Matrixgames needs to make are more tactical games with random battle map generators and random unit generators and random unit structures in various eras of history. Man we could use a Napoleonic game like this...where's the randoms for the Napoleonic era? Any era for that matter where tactical can be played out instead of grand this and grand that. ;)

cdbeck -> RE: Commander - Napoleon at War (3/1/2008 12:52:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

You know what, I was probably the only person on the planet that liked Victoria. LOL!

Regards,

Grell

I liked, and still like, Victoria. Especially so after Revolutions.

SoM

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI