Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #5 - Settings (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame

Wild Bill -> Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #5 - Settings (4/30/2001 10:40:00 AM)

Folks, we have covered a lot of ground, but I'm sure it hasn't been fast enough for those of you anxious to get your own battle completed. We will get there, trust me :D For a review of how to do your map and how it should look see lessons #3 and #4. I hope you finished your map last week. You should have added any details you wanted, mud around the riverbank, maybe a few rough hexes on those hills, and those farms done. Well now, it is time to review that text file we published a few weeks ago. Do you remember it? It gives us the scope and intent of the battle. The text file should be your guideline in making your map, picking your units and setting your objectives. Here it is again, to refresh your memory :D ______THE BREAKOUT* * ____Meeting Engagement:* ____US Army vs Germany* * _St Pois, France, Aug. 5, 1944* Location: Near St. Pois, France* _______Turns:10* * Scenario Design: (Your Name) ** The massive bombing raids near St. Lo have left most of the German defenders either stunned or dead.* * This is your chance as part of the US 70th Tank Battalion for the breakout from the hedgerows into open country.* * You will take your tank forces and move south. You are to seek out German armored forces, remnants of 2nd Panzer Division that might be in the area.* * When you find them, you are to destroy them and take the objectives* * ---------------- What we are about to do now is probably the most important part of the scenario design. We are going to feed into this scenario all the particular data of this battle. You will want to double check all of these settings to be sure that they are correct. Let's start the editor, load our map and get to work. Once the map is loaded, you will work for the moment in the main scenario editor screen. The Opponents Using the text file as our guide, the first thing we want to do is set the nationalities. Who is fighting whom in this scenario? Read the text file and see. Now, whichever side you prefer be used by the human player should be the first nationality. We know that the combatants are the US and Germany. For the sake of uniformity let's make the US the human player (Nationality #1). Click on the first nationality flag (should be German right now) and then click on the US flag. Change the second one to German in the same way. The Type of Battle In the center you want to be sure that you set the scenario as a meeting engagement. Briefly, you have three types of battles: meeting engagements, advance and delay, and assault and defend. Their names tell it all. A meeting engagement means that both sides are moving and headed toward each other. In this type of scenario, the objectives are usually neutral. The other two are offensive setups with one player defending objectives while the other player tries to take them. In this case the objectives would initially belong to the defender. Now as you develop your skills, you will learn how to mix these in scenarios by using the tools within the editor. You can then have one side defending and build in a counterattacking force for the defender. But that is for later. The Other Settings Look at the bottom of the main editing screen and you'll see the places to set the date, time, weather, sighting distance and the number of turns. Most of this information we have already decided upon and put into the text file. We don't have the exact hour but we can set it for a day battle. REMEMBER! If you want a night battle, you must set the time between Midnight and 6AM or from 20:00 Hours (8 PM) to Midnight. When you do that, adjust your sight distance accordingly. 1. Date: This is very important because the game looks at the date you have set and allows you to pick units appropriate to that time frame. You can't have a Tiger or a Pershing tank in 1941. So set the date as August 5th, 1944. 2. Scenario Hour: Since we don't know the exact hour of the battle, let's set it for 1PM (13 - military time). 3. Scenario Length: We have already determined that we want the scenario to be 10 turns in length. 4. Visibility: This setting determines just how far your units can see, discounting line of sight (LOS) obstacles. I use "20" as my default visibility setting. More on that in a moment. 5. Scenario Weather: The numbers here represent the type of weather you want, 1 being ideal weather and 5 being the worst kind of weather. The numbers 2,3 and 4 vary the possibility of inclement weather. As the number gets higher, the greater the possibility is of bad weather. Here again, bad weather can affect visibility just as the time of day (or night). Keep that in mind when you set this. Let's set ours as a beautiful summer day in France. We'll set it at "1." Now look to the right of the editing screen and you'll see a bar titled, "Battle Location." This tells the player just where the battle occurred. What is the location? Read your text file again. Okay, now click on the bar, type in "Near St. Pois" and hit enter Well now, our scenario is set up and we are ready to pick our units. Question: Why do we do this first? Think about it. How will the settings affect how we pick and deploy units? I'll let you answer this one yourself. If you have followed the text file you should have the date as August 5, 1944, the time as 13 (1300 hours or 1PM), length of scenario, 10 turns, visibility =20, and the weather as "1." And we have given our battle a location. One more thing to do in this lesson. Look to the upper right of your editing screen. Click on the "buy" button under the US flag. A new screen pops up with an US HQ unit. That is a default purchase that the computer will ALWAYS make. Don't buy any units. Just click on exit. Do the same for the German side. Click exit and go back to main editing screen. Now save your scenario setup. Remember, up until now we have only saved our map. Now we are saving the entire scenario, at least as far as we have taken it. Look over your settings one more time to be sure they are right, then hit the save button. Scroll your list of scenarios until you find the slot where you want to put it. Remember to put it into a blank slot. If you click on a slot that already has a scenario name in it, you will overwrite it. So be careful where you click! :eek: When you click on the slot a black screen will appear. You are going to type in the name of your scenario. What did we name it? "The Breakout." Okay, that will be the name you will type now. After typing it in, hit the enter key. Now your work to this point is saved. All right! Good job. Let's double check our work so far. You should be back in the main editing screen. Click on the load button to the right, just above "Battle Location." Scroll (or with version 5.0 type in the scenario number) till you find your scenario. Click on the name you just typed in. Boom! You are back at the main editing screen but your scenario is loaded. Remember, you can do anything you want with this scenario, anything, and it will not affect your previous work until you click on the "save" button. We have done enough for today. Click now the exit button. In version 5.0 you will be asked if you want to save the scenario. Just type N because you have already saved it and nothing has changed. Next week, we will pick the forces for both sides. Be thinking about what kind of units should be included. Do some research on the breakout at St. Lo and also try to find out what types of units were involved on both sides. [ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]

Jester -> (4/30/2001 6:45:00 PM)

thanks WB, u're doing a great job!reading all these things from the Master, is unvaluable! :)

Flashfyre -> (4/30/2001 10:36:00 PM)

Uhhhh....Colonel? 3pm is...ah....1500 in military time.

Wild Bill -> (4/30/2001 11:11:00 PM)

Thanks Jester and Flash! Is this the same Jester that used to be on the old TGN SP forum? And i stand corrected. It was 23;40 :D when I posted it! Wild Bill

ruxius -> (5/1/2001 4:55:00 AM)

Hello Teacher ..another Good lesson for us ! Here I am with just a new ready question for your wide Knowledge ! :eek: I was wondering if PREFERENCES that we set here will be kept after we saved them... Although I just had some details about this with some members of the forum I am just asking for a confirmation .. They said that each time the Save button is pressed a new *.prf is overwritten..and the last save keeps alive all the informations for the future player of the scenario.. Please Teechr ,Can you confirm this ? SO adjusting for instance Inf TOughness to 120% will be definitive to any player or any further modification will change things ? Well maybe this is a little confused to me ... I trust in your explanation..but tell me if this is an argument of the next lessons .. Bye !

Greg McCarty -> (5/1/2001 7:43:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by ruxius: Hello Teacher ..another Good lesson for us ! Here I am with just a new ready question for your wide Knowledge ! :eek: I was wondering if PREFERENCES that we set here will be kept after we saved them... Although I just had some details about this with some members of the forum I am just asking for a confirmation .. They said that each time the Save button is pressed a new *.prf is overwritten..and the last save keeps alive all the informations for the future player of the scenario.. Please Teechr ,Can you confirm this ? SO adjusting for instance Inf TOughness to 120% will be definitive to any player or any further modification will change things ? Well maybe this is a little confused to me ... I trust in your explanation..but tell me if this is an argument of the next lessons .. Bye !
Yeah, this is something I've always been a bit fuzzy on too; How much, if any of the preference settings get nailed into the scenario when saved? My instincts have always suggested I leave these at default, and to build any dramatic changes into the unit characteristics. [ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: Greg McCarty ]

Wild Bill -> (5/1/2001 10:07:00 AM)

Ruxius and Greg, it has been my experience that they are not saved. Whatevef the preference settings are in the player's SPWAW preferences are the ones he will have in the game, not the designers. Preferences are saved in ths steel.prf and not the scenxxx.dat file. Once you start the scenario, the preferences it started with will be kept in the savexx.dat file. And more. Be sure and reset the preferences in your own game after you have finished. They will not be reset. Example. (and you can easily do this too). I load the tutorial scenario into the editor (scen000). I click on preferences and change "tank toughness" for US to 130. I save the scenario with this setting. I go out of the editor. I go back into the editor. I look at preferences. Tank Toughness is still 130. I change it back 100 I load the Tutorial scenario. Now even though I set tank toughness to 130 and saved, when I reload it, look and see that is now 100 (or whatever I have my pref set on in the game.). So what does that mean? It means: 1. Setting preferences does not stick to a scenario when you save it. 2. As a designer, if you do have special settings for those who play the scenario, you should mention them in the text file of the scenario. 3. When you have finished your scenario design, be sure and reset your preferences. Example: I was playing a PBEM game with another gamer (who shall remain anonymous). This was before some of the security features we have now. I was the Germans. I could not kill his T-34s. He fired on me with impunity rolling up to within two hexes and "BAM" a kill on the first shot. Well, after losing a platoon of MkIVh tanks, and not even hitting a T-34, it was time to do some checking. He had sent me the first turn (so we were playing with whatever preferences he had set, not the ones I had when designing the scenario). On turn 4, I knew something was really wrong. I opened the preferences. My tank toughness was on set on 20. His was set on 120! "Hitting"...his again was on 120, mine on 20! :eek: He apologized, saying he had set them when designing a scenario and forgot to change them back. And it is quite possible. He loaded the scenario we were playing with the different settings instead of resetting them and that is what I got. Wild Bill [ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: Wild Bill ]

ruxius -> (5/3/2001 5:23:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Ruxius and Greg, it has been my experience that they are not saved. Whatever the preference settings are in the player's SPWAW preferences are the ones he will have in the game, not the designers. Preferences are saved in ths steel.prf and not the scenxxx.dat file. Once you start the scenario, the preferences it started with will be kept in the savexx.dat file. And more. Be sure and reset the preferences in your own game after you have finished. They will not be reset
Oh WELL ! That's exactly what I was persuated...A Few time ago I was suggesting about the possibility of linking togheter all the cmt/dat/rec and prf files to concurr in defining a SPWAW's saved game..when I talked about this in the forum I had some answers that made me reflecting..they spoke about the possibility that preferences would stay fixed during PBEM games.. Now you give me the confirmation I asked about my doubts.. There is not any relationship between the editor and the preferences set there... Good it's a question that now is cleared to me and to all the other.. If I need a particular PRf setting I will include this in the txt file..so the player is warned.. Thx

Wild Bill -> (5/3/2001 5:27:00 AM)

Yes Ruxius, that is the best way to handle it. Let the human player know how to set up his preferences if there are some special ones. For me personally, I try to work with the default settings. That way the player can make any adjustments he chooses...which is a great feature. Scenario too easy for you? Up the AI quality. Too hard? Lower it. Like command control? Turn it on? You want op fire optional? Set it up. A careful study of the preferences menu will reveal that the human player (or players) can really affect the play of a battle by changing the preferences. Wild Bill

Don -> (5/3/2001 6:13:00 AM)

I hope Redleg doesn't read this thread - I'll try that 120/20 trick on him!! by "accident", of course! :rolleyes:

Jester -> (5/3/2001 6:53:00 AM)

yes WB,i am!!i told you i had an examination going on... but i'm a little more free now (i did it! :D ), so i come very often to the forum!i only had some problems of connection to this forum until now. :(

Alexandra -> (5/3/2001 9:32:00 AM)

Like command control? Turn it on? One note here to all designers. Make sure you set your objectives for all units, on both sides, in case someone plays C+C. I was starting a scen the other day that began with an Airborne drop, with C+C on, and, lo and behold, my para's - and the ampib elements out to support them, all had 0,0 as thier objective :) So, even if you don't play with C+C on, please make your scens C+C freindly :) Alex - who plans on playing MCNA with C+C on :)

Wild Bill -> (5/4/2001 1:07:00 PM)

Alex made a good point here and one i intend to address a little later. Assigning objectives has been somewhat of a problem because it was so easy to lose them when designing a scenario. Any significant changes in unit choices or other things would cause the objectives to be canceled. Well, in 5.0 those days of anguish are over. Once you set objectives, they stay set, even if you open the buy menu again. They won't change until you change them. Now any new units you buy will need objectives assigned, but that is it. This to me is one of the greatest changes in the editor in version 5.0 It saves literally hours of work. But setting objectives, even if only one general objective for all units of both nationalities will make it so much easier for the person using C&C. If you don't set them, then the player has to do that. I think setting objectives for both sides should be a standard rule of thumb for all scenario designers. Wild Bill

Wild Bill -> (5/5/2001 12:13:00 AM)

Remember, there are two flags used for setting objectives in the editor. The blue flag will set an objective for a particular formation. The red one (Not the "wed one"!) will set it for all units of a particular nationality. I often use the latter when setting an objective for the human player side. He can then modify it as he wishes when playing. For the AI side, or if you wish both sides playable as the AI, it is a little more complicated. You can program objectives and how and when to reach them in great detail now, especially with this new 5.0. Wild Bill

Wild Bill -> (5/5/2001 11:16:00 PM)

We'll get into picking units and scenario balance in a few days. I hope you will join us. Wild Bill

Wild Bill -> (5/7/2001 12:08:00 AM)

See you tomorrow!...WB

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI