Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

SMK-at-work -> Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/5/2008 10:35:38 PM)

In one game I'm playing Belguium has been invaded by hte allies, & a couple of oddities have cropped up.

1/ Liege has no fortification value

2/ At one point Liege was the only hex still owned by Belgium, then the Germans counter attacked and took Brussels and 1 other hex.

then Liege was captured by the allies - and Belgium surrendered.

Do recaptured cities (eg Brussels in this case) not count for preventing surrender? Was it that Brussels was "German" and not "Belgian" that stopped it preventing the surrender?

Joel Rauber -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/12/2008 1:35:28 AM)

I'm the opponent and can verify the accuracy of what SMK states.

Lascar -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/12/2008 1:58:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

In one game I'm playing Belguium has been invaded by hte allies, & a couple of oddities have cropped up.

1/ Liege has no fortification value

2/ At one point Liege was the only hex still owned by Belgium, then the Germans counter attacked and took Brussels and 1 other hex.

then Liege was captured by the allies - and Belgium surrendered.

Do recaptured cities (eg Brussels in this case) not count for preventing surrender? Was it that Brussels was "German" and not "Belgian" that stopped it preventing the surrender?

Wasn't Belgian neutrality guaranteed by Britain? If so, under what circumstances would Britain allow a violation of Belgium neutrality?

SMK-at-work -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/12/2008 4:34:53 AM)

All's fair in love and war!! [sm=scared0008.gif]

JCP -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/30/2008 2:22:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lascar

Wasn't Belgian neutrality guaranteed by Britain? If so, under what circumstances would Britain allow a violation of Belgium neutrality?

Indeed, the Treaty of London, signed in 1839, committed Britain to preserving Belgian neutrality, and at that time the expected aggressor was France.

The French army did consider a pre-emptive invasion of Belgium in 1914, but the government rejected the idea precisely because they feared alienating the British. The British would hardly have declared war on France in that event, but they might well have remained more aloof from the Franco-German conflict than they did.

wurger54 -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/30/2008 9:23:46 PM)

In a recent game I as the 3E went into Belgium as a respose to a Russia first CP strategy. I was disappointed that the negative impact was minimal. I would have thought there should have been major negatives involved, not only for Brit morale, but also American entry.

[/quote]
Indeed, the Treaty of London, signed in 1839, committed Britain to preserving Belgian neutrality, and at that time the expected aggressor was France.

The French army did consider a pre-emptive invasion of Belgium in 1914, but the government rejected the idea precisely because they feared alienating the British. The British would hardly have declared war on France in that event, but they might well have remained more aloof from the Franco-German conflict than they did.
[/quote]

SMK-at-work -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/31/2008 8:11:32 AM)

Maybe British units shuold not be allowed to enter Belgian hexes if Belgium is at war with the UK?  Or perhaps remove the big mobilisation of 1915 or later reinforcements if it happens earlier?  

wargamer123 -> RE: Oddity with Belgum invaded by allies (3/31/2008 9:50:14 AM)

Also the ill reputation the Germans earned was in Belgium and France

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI