AI Artillery Control is NOW AVAILABLE! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame

richmonder -> AI Artillery Control is NOW AVAILABLE! (12/26/2001 6:04:00 AM)

Here's some good news for designers in regards to controlling the fire missions for your AI forces without having the computer override your settings. (now someone may have already found this out, but I've never seen it discussed before; therefore, I post) HERE'S HOW IT WOIKS: 1) Buy ONBOARD arty - not offboard - if you want to direct fire missions for a specific turn and/or hexes. 2) Alter the arty units as you see fit - gun type, tubes per unit, HE rounds, smoke - whatever. You can do rudimentary stuff in the SPWaW editor, but WaWEd.exe is vital for proper control and manipulation of the unit's composition. 3) Now set up these units via the artillery barrage screen and set their hexes/turns as you see the need. 4) HERE's the key - set these units as reinforcements for ONE TURN after the end of game. They will never appear; however, they WILL fire on the turn you set for their fire mission.
A few points for consideration: They don't fire in that neat 4-hex row as offboard arty, but the spacing isn't too bad. Remember that tubes in spaces 2-4 don't fire with quite the accuracy of tube #1. I think that's good as it gives some spread to the pattern. Also, remember that ROF (rate of fire) affects how many rounds a unit can get off. If the ROF is set to 6 and you have 12-15 rounds of HE per tube, it won't fire all of those. I have no clue if the onboard arty w/ end-of-game reinforcement status will fire on any other turns other than the assigned turn (that is, if they have excess ammo after the first assigned turn for the mission). I would not think so, but there is a possibility of that. I've found I can set up a 120mm mortar squad with 3 tubes and 3-4 rounds per tube. This gives a nice fat blanketing for any assignment. The big guns are just flat out scary when you can assign them accurately and take it out of the AI's hands. If this is a repeat, I apologize. But otherwise - enjoy!

richmonder -> (12/26/2001 6:38:00 AM)

MORE GOOD NEWS!
AI aircraft can also be assigned according to these principles! I have found they will enter on the turn you designate, and WILL attack the specific hex that you assign for attack. Remember, set them as reinforcements to arrive one turn after the game's end. They will carry out ONE airstrike at the intended target. Now we can specifically assign air and artillery, and we can also just give the AI artillery and airpower to use as it sees fit. The two make a deadly combination.

Warrior -> (12/26/2001 12:39:00 PM)

Very clever, I'll have to try this.

skukko -> (12/26/2001 4:29:00 PM)

Making them reinforcements and to arrive after ga,e is ended is quite a good solution. I've never seen this kind of overwalk of AI. Thanx mosh

Larry Holt -> (12/27/2001 12:52:00 AM)

This is basic to being able to design scenarios and ought to be in the hall of fame. Any seconds?

lnp4668 -> (12/27/2001 1:06:00 AM)

Second.

RockinHarry -> (12/28/2001 1:10:00 AM)

Thanks...
This always caused me big headaches while designing and timing scenarios..at least lots of work. Will try your solution tonight! What still works great for me, is the "decrewed" AI onbord artillery, with crews having proper reaction turns to walk to their guns and start shooting when I want them to! But the method is very awkward, as you need to edit save games much.... Unfortunately older methods for solving this AI artillery issue (radios, preplot strikes) donīt work anymore. __________
Harry

Wild Bill -> (12/28/2001 4:06:00 AM)

Rich, if you will, write this up as a doc file, and send it to me and Louie Marsh, team leader for the WBR page. I would like to have included as a design hint on that page. That way some folks will see it that don't come here. louiem@militarygameronline.com bwilder@bellsouth.net Thanks WB

richmonder -> (12/29/2001 8:23:00 AM)

Ummm.... I think we gotta hold on a bit here. I spent the entire day fooling with this concept. The whole day. It's now midnight and I am checking out. Made a lot of progress in tracking the AI's 'logic' (if I can call it that - I can't), but have alot more verifying to do. Sadly, it probably will have some glitches and limitations as to what we can do, but I'll see what I can uncover. [ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: richmonder ] [ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: richmonder ]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI