The Victors: suggestions wanted (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

BamnBamn -> The Victors: suggestions wanted (3/14/2002 1:32:52 AM)

Got any tips on creating a combat group for this campaign?

It's a tough one but am enjoying it.

Bing -> (3/14/2002 2:35:28 AM)

After 15 battles in U2R, here are the choices I carried over into the first battle of Victors:

CORE:

1 x US HQ
5 x Pershing
5 x M4a3e8 HVSS Sherman
9 x Airborne Squad
6 x 30 cal MMG
3 x M2 60mm Mortar
8 x 4.5" Rocket section

SUPPORT:

4 x 4.5" Rocket Section
4 x M19 Duster
2 x Dodge "Mediium" truck WC 62/63

Aux - I got enough Recon - Greyhound, 50 cal Jeep, 3 x Recon Patrol, so on to be able to drop motorized recon from the Core/Support groups as I usually carried them on the roster in U2R.

Aux in first Victors battle also assigns 6 x Armored Inf Sqd - 2 x 30 cal MMG - 2 x M9 bazooks - mortars, halftracks for the airborne, some Rangers and 75mm + 105mm offboard arty. Since the FO Jeep came with the Aux, I had dropped it from Core, which I didn't like doing but I was running out of points and wanted Pershings to face the Soviet heavies.

A couple of items here:

1) I had fought all the way from St. Mere Eglise to Berlin with my airborne. I wasn't about to restart their ratings no matter what kind of game balance was involved. I edited them and the core tank crews up to what they had earned through the last U2R battle.

2) Armored infantry and other US units are given the M9 bazooka by the OOB. For reasons known only to whoever made the OOB, airborne has always gotten the older M1. I fixed that, my boys carried the M9 all the way and continued to do so in Victors.

If I were going to restart Victors - my current replay of U2R is on hold at the fifth battle - I would not use 4.5" rocket sections - they simply devastate the enemy. On restart of U2R I chose instead 10 x 105mm howitzers. Here again, I could have started with SP 155's - but they are almost as devastating. The 105's seem about right, doing the job artillery is supposed to do but not wiping the enemy off the map - face it, without an enemy you don't have much of a battle to fight. And I had times especialy during Victors where the impact area looked like a moonscape - nothing living was in there.

I was getting BM-8 Katyusha fire - but get this: On Turn One of Victors first battle, my offboard 105's conducted counterbattery and scored 8 hits on the Kaytusha's! I find counter fire to be more prevalent under later versions of the mech.exe, perhaps others do not - including counterbatt between German field arty and US B-17's (I am not making htis up, it actualy happened - more than once).

The biggest factor in fighting in Western Europe for me became mobility: Some of the maps are huge and if you can't get the best troops where they are going to do the most damage, you are in trouble. "He who gets there first-est with the most-est is the best-est." - Pancho Villa?

Though the core shown above doesn't reflect it on first inspection I always, always made sure there were wheels for the 9 x airborne squads. Usually M3 HT's but if points were precious (they will be, you will discover) then I bought the cheapest "medium" trucks I could get (I used to drive duece and a half's, I don't know what a "medium" truck is but that's OK).

The Dusters are great for both AA and pounding infamtry in the underbrush. Make sure the Sherman has at minimum the 76mm gun, the other main armaments are not worth a pitcher of warm spit. I stopped using Jackson TD's - there was a problem with the AP coding to begin with, they are fragile for another and I found I got best resuts in close with my beloved airborne and their M9 'zooks which BTW are great for bunker busting.

You will note lack of engineers in the core and support groups, that is by design. I don't get that much out of them and take them only when the game assigns them to Aux - they're OK and I know there will be strong disagreement here, but I'll bust a bunker tout suit with a Jumbo Sherman and a few M9 zook rounds, just like that. Run a Jeep with a recon guy and a M9 zook up behind a bunker - covered with smoke natch - he is doggie dinner, mah friend.

Hope this helps,

Bing

nelmsm1 -> (3/14/2002 4:12:52 AM)

I believe the quote you use is usually credited to Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Bing -> (3/14/2002 5:08:16 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelmsm
[B]I believe the quote you use is usually credited to Nathan Bedford Forrest. [/B][/QUOTE]
\

Ahhh . thank you thir. This is the Civil War Forrest? Or a different bramnch of the .. ahem ... family tree?

Bing

BamnBamn -> (3/14/2002 8:16:40 AM)

Thanks a bunch Bing.

nelmsm1 -> (3/14/2002 8:30:38 AM)

It's the Civil War Forrest alright.

Wild Bill -> (3/14/2002 9:13:35 PM)

Nicely balanced force Bing has suggested here. It allows the player to cover a variety of situations that are often encountered in war.

And you will encounter them here too.

Wild Bill

Bing -> (3/14/2002 10:46:55 PM)

I can't stress enough the mobile nature of warfare in Western Europe during WW2 - in the game it means so much. time after time a squad hops on an HT, races over to a suppressed enemy, unloads and blasts them to kingdom come.

Plus the importance of the M9 bazooka - in the way I fight, that is. Exposing the Shermans to Panther and Tiger fire is quick suicide - I pound'em with everything includng the kitchen sink, keep the Shermans out of the way, get the troopers up close and if possible have more than one squad firing M9 zooks at the steel beasts. Whatever works ... works.

Engineers certainly do have a place in the game, I don't mean to imply otherwise, I just never had enough points to make them part of the permanent core force, most of the time not in the support either, where I would take add'l artillery if anything.

Bing

BamnBamn -> (3/15/2002 1:09:11 AM)

So many campaigns so little time... :)

I edited the troopers to M9 but have encountered a random "problem" with selecting the core force, to the point that sometimes I have to exit the game completely for it to go away.

I'll go into pick the Pershings and they're all red, which I assume to me they're not available. Sometimes, just exiting the campaign and restarting it I'll be able to pick them. This occurs with other units as well. Bug or is that a randomizer for force availability?

I will now go read the manual and do the tutorials. ;)

Thanks guys!

Wild Bill -> (3/15/2002 1:15:21 AM)

That was a feature added AFTER the campaign had been completed. I think you are sometimes limited as to the amount of Pershings available (there still weren't that many in the ETO even in 1945).

How it works in detail I am not sure. Hang in there. Keep pestering till you get 'em ;)

Wild Bill

Bing -> (3/15/2002 1:28:30 AM)

Now thats a new one on me. Try disabling True Troop Costs and Rarity and see what happens. If nothing else, just copy the Deployment phase save file over to edit, then add the Pershings. They wouldn't stop me, I'll tell you that.

Bing

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI