Different Tactical Game Scale ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

MarkP -> Different Tactical Game Scale ? (3/14/2002 10:26:23 AM)

SPWAW seems like a super sim which has had a lot of thought put into it. CL will probably be the same.

The only reason I really can't get into SPWAW is the scale is too small for my taste. Any chance of doing a game more along SP III / Campaign Series scale ("Grand Tactical") where we can push platoon or company sized units around, rather than worry about the ammunition status of every tank in a whole battalion?

I'm thinking here of 200-250 m/hex, where players give orders to batalions or maybe companies, and the computer moves the individual platoons around (what regimental commander ever gave an order to a platoon, anyway? Or for that matter what battalion commander ever ordered an individual tank around?)

- Mark

Raverdave -> (3/14/2002 11:37:46 AM)

SP 3 (shudder) good concept, poor execution. But yes I agree with what you are asking for.

MarkP -> (3/15/2002 11:44:13 AM)

"SP 3 (shudder) good concept, poor execution. "

Campaign Series - Decent execution, rather flawed concept.

Hopefully CL will lose the awfull, "God View" 2D graphics of the SP series - or at least will make it easier to tell units from terrain.

Paul Vebber -> (3/15/2002 8:50:02 PM)

CL will use 25, 50 or 100m hexes. 200-250 got too far away from the tactical nature of the battles and with the larger map areas (hundreds of hexes by hundreds of hexes) you can actually make bigger areas than you could in sp3. With platton movement you will effectively be able to move a whole platoon as a "stack" in a similaar way to SP:3 and use Battalion/Comapny command element manuever element vs company command element platoon manuever element.

It is still top down as the screen shots indicate but using the power of modern graphics programs to give much higher graphics quality then SP series games. WHen a platoon is selected the hex bounderies contain the formation units "light up" in yellow and teh "0" unit in red IIRC.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI