DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Dan Verssen -> DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 8:12:51 AM)

We are very pleased to announce the second game in our Field Commander series - Alexander the Great. You can see the box front, sample counters, and a map in the Alexander game section.

You take on the role of Alexander the Great in his world-conquering quest to extend the Macedonian empire and achieve personal glory.

When we started designing the game, our goal was to represent the battles of Alexander the Great, but the more we learned about him, the more we realized our opportunity to explore not only his battlefield exploits, but also the other aspects of his life. True, Alexander the Great was highly skilled in warfare, but he was also a skilled negotiator and at his core was the constant drive to connect with the gods. It was rumored that his father was Zeus, and he spent much of his life seeking the favor and advice of the Greek gods.

When playing the game, you are placed in Alexander’s footsteps when he comes of age in 338bc, just before the battle of Chaeronea. From that point on, you get to decide where to travel, when to battle, when to negotiate, and when to seek out divine prophesies to guide your actions.

You are supplied with soldiers and advisors to help you navigate the dangers of the battlefield and the negotiating table. These include Infantry, Archers, Phalanxes, Cavalry, Advisors, Scholars, Cortisones, and Spies. You will craftily combine these resources with your own plans to achieve victory, and glorification. And if you do well, you will be remembered as one of the greatest leaders ever to walk the earth.

The life of Alexander is divided into several campaigns, each spanning several years. During each campaign, you are given goals, but how you achieve those goals is up to you. Do you enter into battle? Or negotiate? How strong are you? How strong are they? What can you gain? These are all decisions you get to make, and must make well, if you are to live up to the immortal standards set before you.

The campaigns can either be played stand alone, or linked to play through his entire life. When played as one on-going life, the outcome of one campaign affects your starting situation in the next campaign.

How you proceed is up to you – The Entire World is Yours for the Taking!

Thank you,
-Dan Verssen
www.dvg.com

ravinhood -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 8:30:03 AM)

It's a BOARDGAME? <cough> <sputter> <chuck> ;) Where's the computer version? ;)

Dan Verssen -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 9:08:38 AM)

Even Alexander's journey started with a single footstep.  :)

Tomus -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 12:10:42 PM)

I am intrigued by this I must admit.

But how on earth does a solo boardgame work? Without some form of independent opponent I can't see how you could manage a convincing battle.

Grell -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 2:57:41 PM)

I thought Erik said that you can't post links to sell things on this site.

Regards,

Grell

Terminus -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 3:17:44 PM)

There are exceptions, and Dan V. is one of them.

Erik Rutins -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 3:27:33 PM)

Yep, we have an existing partnership with Dan, we're ok with him posting announcements here.

sterckxe -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 3:39:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus

I am intrigued by this I must admit.

But how on earth does a solo boardgame work? Without some form of independent opponent I can't see how you could manage a convincing battle.

Ok, you need to do some serious reading regarding solitaire wargames [;)]

Keywords : Raid on St. Nazaire, Up Front, BoardgameGeek

Short : various systems exist and the ingenious ones can give you a *very* good game

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Tomus -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 4:21:00 PM)

Thanks I will do. What are the basic principles behind the systems? Is it like playing cards?

sterckxe -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 5:32:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomus
Thanks I will do. What are the basic principles behind the systems? Is it like playing cards?

The basic principle is that rules for the side on the defence can be "programmed" more or less. Examples : fixed enemy unit is triggered to come "alive" the turn you move a unit next to it, enemy reinforcements arrive on variable turns from variable locations based on your die rolls (don't cheat [;)]), enemy units always attack the closest of your units unless they're outnumbered 2-1 etc.

Over the years there have been some very good solitaire wargames, but I have got a miserably bad game as well called First Team : Vietnam or something like it.

Raid on St. Nazaire and Up Front, both from Avalon Hill, are two good examples of solitair wargames and there's a ton of info on them out there. Oh, and that Market-Garden game from AH as well.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

PunkReaper -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 6:01:17 PM)

Great news, two ancient games in as many weeks (HPS Gallic Wars). Will this game be available in England or will it have to be ordered direct?

Dan Verssen -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 6:38:08 PM)

Punk Reaper,

We are in contact with several distributors in Europe, but I don't have solid details yet.

Dan Verssen -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 6:39:43 PM)

On the DVG site, I have a few turns for the Rommel game posted. This shows in detail how a solitaire board game design works. Here's the link to the 1st part...

http://images.dvg.com/www.dvg.com/Rommel-Sample1.pdf

-Dan
www.dvg.com

Tomus -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 6:52:51 PM)

Thanks for the advice guys. Very interesting and its an ancients game which we unfortunately don't see much of. Looks like I will give it a try....

ravinhood -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 7:50:25 PM)

Where can I find these DVG in "bargain bin Prices"? ;) heheheeeee

Phatguy -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/18/2008 10:22:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

I thought Erik said that you can't post links to sell things on this site.

Regards,

Grell

It's not like its any old crap ya know.... This seems to be quality

Warfare1 -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/19/2008 3:11:51 AM)

I definitely like the idea of solitare board games.

Great idea.

I miss seeing the whole board when playing computer games as well as the tactile feel for the game pieces.

I hope we see more of this!

Perhaps a Caesar game would be great: Gaul, Civil War, etc...

Warfare1 -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/19/2008 3:29:08 AM)

Field Commander - Rommel

Here's a map of North Africa for the Rommel solitaire game:

[image]local://upfiles/14395/DB00B384BB8B4A2CA0711CDACB87CB2D.jpg[/image]

pasternakski -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/19/2008 5:00:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe
Ok, you need to do some serious reading regarding solitaire wargames [;)]

Keywords : Raid on St. Nazaire, Up Front, BoardgameGeek

"Up Front" is not a solitaire game. In fact, it is a card game that is not at all suited for solitaire play. Did you mean "Ambush"?

VG's "Carrier" and "Tokyo Express" deserve mention as successful solitaire designs, too.

Of course, it remains true that the vast majority of wargames are played solitaire, notwithstanding the designer's intention...

Dan Verssen -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/19/2008 5:04:22 AM)

One of the ideas I'm considering is focusing DVG's tabletop design efforts on solitaire games, because Pasternakski is correct, most are played solitaire anyway. Finding a tabletop gaming opponent is tricky at best.

If DVG can become known as "The solitaire games company" I think it would help to set us apart.

PunkReaper -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/19/2008 8:11:42 PM)

quote:

We are in contact with several distributors in Europe, but I don't have solid details yet

The board games company that I find the best in the UK is www.gameslore.co.uk I have always found them knowledgeable and helpful, plus their service is second to none. Shipping from the USA is over $20 dollars but as soon as it becomes available here I will certainly buy it. I'll even spread the word....no charge. Good real solitaire games are hard to find and an ancients game is fantastic. More please.

ravinhood -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/19/2008 9:44:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Verssen

Even Alexander's journey started with a single footstep.  :)

Yeah but you've been saying that OLD line after every boardgame you create. ;)

Warfare1 -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 1:46:27 AM)

quote:

One of the ideas I'm considering is focusing DVG's tabletop design efforts on solitaire games, because Pasternakski is correct, most are played solitaire anyway. Finding a tabletop gaming opponent is tricky at best.

If DVG can become known as "The solitaire games company" I think it would help to set us apart.

Great idea.

The Rommel game alone is worth a purchase for me.

Will you be making your games available to a distributer in Canada?

Dan Verssen -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 2:28:34 AM)

Punk Reaper,

"Gameslore" looks like a great store!

If you would please, ask them who their distributors are, and possible emails and/or websites. I would then be happy to contact them to try and get our games distributed.

Thank you for the help,
-Dan

Dan Verssen -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 2:30:43 AM)

Warfare1,

I've looked, but I can'y find the names of any Canadian game distributors. If you have a local store, can you ask them who their distributors are and for contact info? I can then contact them to look into distribution.

Thank you,
-Dan

pasternakski -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 2:38:15 AM)

quote:

Interesting, Dan.

One of the weird things about us dyed-in-the-wool wargamers is that we didn't buy games specifically designed for solitaire play in large numbers, but we solitaired the heck out of two-player games.

Even more bizarre, I would bet dollars to donuts that games intended for multiple players (Diplomacy, War & Peace, and Empires in Arms, to name a few) have been played solitaire even more frequently than the two-player games.

Go figure.

A solitaire design for which I have a great deal of respect is the old VG title, "Peloponnesian War." The designers recognized the shortcomings inherent in solitaire designs and concocted a system whereby you had to change sides from time to time (particularly if you were doing too well). Brilliant!

Here's a pic of a solitaire gamer gone bad (or good, depending on how you look at it from the aspect of your own grassy knoll).

[image]local://upfiles/6977/F78D17CDA6474BD48BD44FF7BC3B4C28.jpg[/image]

Warfare1 -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 5:08:08 AM)

quote:

Warfare1,

I've looked, but I can'y find the names of any Canadian game distributors. If you have a local store, can you ask them who their distributors are and for contact info? I can then contact them to look into distribution.

Thank you,
-Dan

Dan:

Thanks for your reply.

Below are the links to Canadian stores that carry board games AND board wargames that ship anywhere in Canada. I have visited/purchased games from several of these companies and can vouch for their excellent content and service.

I am sure they would be pleased to hear from you.

http://www.drexollgames.com/

http://www.cravingforagame.ca/

http://www.militaryhobbies.ca/

http://www.starlitcitadel.com/games/

DISTRIBUTORS FOR CANADIAN MARKET:

http://www.lionrampantimports.com/index.php

http://tinyurl.com/2glqug

Warfare1 -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 7:37:57 PM)

It might also be interesting to develop a solitaire CARRIER board game, using either counters OR miniatures.

Example:

CARRIER (a solo board game):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1679

Carrier is a solitaire simulation of both historical and hypothetical carrier battles in the Southwest Pacific Theater during the hotly-contested naval campaigns of 1942 and 1943. As the U.S. commander, you maneuver your task forces and conduct air searches in a tension-packed contest to find the Japanese carriers before they locate and attack yours. Simple game mechanics control Japanese movement and determine the timing and strength of their attacks. You will not know that a Japanese air strike is headed your way until it actually appears in the skies above your task force. Once the enemy has been located, you face the very same, real-life, tactical dilemmas as your historical counterparts.

[image]local://upfiles/14395/C2FCF4E006BF4FEA9EBF13761E425999.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/14395/3F0B1C0F5FC9484595C5CD384CD1DE07.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/14395/8442C56DF4954D1D853922E4CC3B08FC.jpg[/image]

Meta Baston -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 8:55:28 PM)

Carrier!

This game rocked!

Somehow complicated (lots of rules), but a great experience! Thanks for bringing it back here.

I'd say the same thing about Raid on St-Nazaire. My first "real" wargame ever. That was 20 years ago. (I went to St-Nazaire two years ago. I could walk around the old town and the port without a map! Great feeling!)

Now, I don't own any DVG games, but they sure look interesting...

MB

Joram -> RE: DVG - Alexander the Great - News! (3/20/2008 10:53:35 PM)

I didn't realize the Nimitz was around in 1942.  How did it ever take us so long to win!  [:D] 

Anyway, DV, it looks great.  I like solitaire games a lot as it's difficult to find the time for opponents.  Will check it out.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI