Misc observations on AI (1.02 beta) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815

Grognot -> Misc observations on AI (1.02 beta) (3/18/2008 11:28:37 PM)

- Turkey -- needs to be more tenacious with respect to Egypt e.g. if attacking the Egyptian corps in a forward blocking position, bring what he's got, and to be willing to lose feudal factors due to foraging in wartime. Continues to not ask for money. Still places feudal corps ASAP in Dec. economic -- recommend delay until February land phase if poor and at peace to avoid winter 2x supply cost / gratuitous forage losses.

- Seen GB go for a "don't bother blockading, just set to intercept from London" approach. Dangerous, if France is willing to forage in GB -- while GB can cut off supplies from any landing, by hitting invasion-supply fleets and blockading ports, there still won't be any GB troops mustering (other than possible minor corps) until April at the earliest (militia bought in March). Does not appear to do VP subtraction.

Will not trade with France even if no war due to 'historical enemies' bit. Nice.

- Prussia note -- if severely beat-down after a long time of peace, it will probably use its huge manpower stockpile to fill as many corps as possible immediately after the war, even if it can no longer afford to maintain them properly. Not good.

Needs to assist Austria more, and vice versa.

- Russia -- still lapses the Swedish war by going after Abo. Needs to be more careful of its fleet in St. Petersburg; in one game as France I took Finland for overland supply and am now besieging St. Petersburg, in January. The advance (and the clearly threatening buildup, during war) started before winter. The Russian fleet should have sailed out of St. Petersburg before winter, because (a) it's not useful where it is, for now, and (b) if I smash the garrison, which shouldn't be too hard (it's down to 1 factor, IIRC), the fleet will be destroyed.

I've noticed more Russian aggression towards Turkey. Good, they were pretty passive there.

Needs to be willing to use its size more on defense. If there's a French stack advancing to St. Petersburg through Finland, sure, you need to take a stand there unless you're getting hefty subsidies from enemies of France -- but if there's another stack that's advancing from what was formerly Prussian, Austrian or Turkish land, you don't need to offer them battle near the front lines. There's no minors to lose in those regions, other than if Poland has been created.

- Spain -- Should be more active in Italy and/or North Africa

- Austria -- Saw an Austrian stack with Mack flee to an Austrian stack with Charles. Mack should have gone back into the reinforcement pool.

- General -- Fewer corps running around singly, other than Cossacks and Turkish feudals (who tend to sit singly). Good.

- General -- Can be more opportunistic about blocking supply lines.

- General -- Can be more opportunistic about taking ceded provinces, especially ones that formerly belonged to them. Ex. in a war with Spain, after a couple of previous wars with Spain, the Spanish stack clearly didn't stand a chance in a straight-up field battle against my French coalition force (French, Lombards, Bavarians, Swiss, the Italians, led by Massena), especially with Castanos having already been killed, but they could have scattered to retake the assorted formerly Spanish provinces I'd left ungarrisoned. That would have forced my stack to scatter as well if I wanted to keep the land and not settle for demanding it back -- once they retook it, I can't retake it just by occupying it.

- General -- Seen more simultaneous suing for peace. Good -- makes it harder to serially hose a nation with asynchronous land/reparations grabs.

pzgndr -> RE: Misc observations on AI (1.02 beta) (3/19/2008 12:51:30 AM)

Marshall's already posted for AI enhancement ideas.  Nothing has changed much for the AI in v1.02.  Probably best to keep all AI ideas consolidated in that other thread for now.

Hopefully we'll see a few nice AI enhancements in v1.03, and can start nit-picking from there. [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI