Tanks versus Assault Troops (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

EUBanana -> Tanks versus Assault Troops (3/29/2008 2:42:54 PM)

I opined a long time ago on here that tanks were not worth researching, as assault troops were much better than tanks are.

I still think that to be the case. The pros and cons for picking assault troops over tanks are as follows, as I see it...

Assault troops are much quicker to research
Assault troops are effective at level 1 research, tanks are not
Long lasting, can be used again and again, tanks tend to be one shot, requiring several strat turns to reform, and expensive at that
At level 2 ignores trenches 100%, which tanks never can do
Tanks require level 2-3 research before they are really useful, and this takes 2 years and a lot of treasure

On the other hand, assault troops are vulnerable to artillery in a way tanks are not, with the arms cost of casualties due to arty being doubled. I've never seen a tank lost to artillery before, though maybe it can happen. The only other reason I can think of to use tanks is that they can be sent to support the troops of nations who cannot buy tanks, as they share their bonus with any other attacker, who could be... Austrians, or whatever, who can't get assault troops.
That said this in no way IMO makes up for their weaknesses.

So. Its been a while since this game came out, there must be quite a few old hands around here now. Do people bother researching tanks, or do they just stick with assault troops? Or do they get both (I imagine this is TE players with more industry than they know what to do with. :D)

SMK-at-work -> RE: Tanks versus Assault Troops (3/30/2008 3:01:39 AM)

Tanks require a lot of equipment, which the allies often can offord but the CP can't - or if it can it's already winning and has no need of tanks!

But they're also very economical on manpower....which most sides will appreciate by 1918 if the game goes that long...

wargamer123 -> RE: Tanks versus Assault Troops (3/30/2008 6:28:28 AM)

I guess I haven't seen Tanks used by anyone... Though my own conclusion is the same... I think Tanks might be more useful for the French or Germans. Who are starved for Manpower if fighting is hard...while the other Majors really can afford the Assualt troops... The seperate area of research I think makes Tanks impractical in a competitive game but I could be wrong. Plus their effect on trenches as mentioned isn't like Assualt 1..

wurger54 -> RE: Tanks versus Assault Troops (3/31/2008 12:00:04 AM)

In my most recent game I've gone for both as the 3E. Lots of tanks and a few American assault troops. Manpower shortages were the deciding factor.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI