Orders (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

LLv34_Mika -> Orders (9/26/2000 5:40:00 AM)

Hi! There seems to be a new problem! I need order points to move the units but if I would move that slowly I wont get you within the 15 turns. The next problem is that I have for example 3 order points but just one HQ unit for 4 other units. I can move the HQ and two others and the rest stays back and will be out of contact next turn (I guess so). That is a bit... stupid! I hope turning command control off will solve that problem. Because the HQ link "feature" is also more a bug than a feature IMO. May be others like it... but I'm really satisfied with the rest of the game. Mika

Jon Grasham -> (9/26/2000 5:53:00 AM)

If you assign the formation an objective, any and all movement towards that objective (within a certain degree range toward AFAIK.. I find it best to actually place it a bit BEHIND where you actually want to go, so intitially you get a bit more flexibility in your approach) are at no cost in orders. So if you set the objective, your orders will stretch a lot farther.

LLv34_Mika -> (9/26/2000 6:56:00 PM)

May be I overlooked something but I was never able to change the objective once I set one... And I was not able to set an objectice for all groups. Some of them always lost contact... [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/frown.gif[/img] Any ideas? Mika

Pillbox -> (9/26/2000 7:05:00 PM)

Yes C2 is one of the toughest things to get a handle on. I haven't yet but eased my woes somewhat by doing the following. The FIRST thing you do when the scenario opens is SET YOUR OBJECTIVES. It takes 3 orders to set an objective so if you say you can't set an objective later, its probably because you are out of contact, out of orders and pretty much stuck out in the field with no one telling your troops where to go or what to do. So, while your troops are clustered up at the beginning of the first turn, set an objective for each platoon. This will simulate the troops receiving orders at the beginning of the battle like "Take out a likely bunker at this spot" or "Hold this ridge until help arrives" etc. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, as long as movement is directed towards meeting those objectives for the rest of the scenario, you will not expend orders. The only time you WILL expend them is when you need to send a squad of troops off into the brush to hit a sniper nest or something. At this level, it simulates a leader telling his troops to deviate from the greater task at hand and do something else. They need separate orders for that type of stuff. Keep your troops together and always keep them in touch. Move your "0" unit last to maintain your chain of command. I hope this helps [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Fredde -> (9/26/2000 7:33:00 PM)

Command & control on is definately not a bug and makes the game much more interesting. If you can't set your objective more than once during a game you are doing something wrong. Remember that orders are consumed for every movement you take except for in the direction of your objective. To set a new objective once you reach your initial objective you might have to hold a turn or two to give the platoon commander enough orders to be able to change the objective. This is more common for countries with historically bad military training like Russia. I think of it as the time it takes for the movement planning and order to go through the hierarchy, and find it very realistic. With "bad" officers commanding your troops, the delay will be longer and the flexibility worse.

BA Evans -> (9/26/2000 9:22:00 PM)

Why not set your objectives to the very back edge of the map when you are advancing? BA Evans PS Just turn C&C off. [This message has been edited by BA Evans (edited September 26, 2000).]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI