Does weather influence invasions in WITP (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

castor troy -> Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/14/2008 11:08:21 PM)

2ncACR just came up with a very interesting assumption about weather and invasions. While weather in certain months made invasions in real life impossible, is weather influencing invasions in WITP in a way that more, or far more troops get disabled due a landing? So letīs say, never do an invasion in a thunderstorm, or blizzard, or even, never invade at some place at some months?

Never heard of it, the manual of course says nothing about it, but if it really is so, then it would be important enough to let people know years after releasing the game.

John Lansford -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 12:17:37 AM)

Since there's no way to predict what the weather will be even a day in advance, much less a week, I hope that weather has little effect on an invasion (other than to hide the TF's from air searches).

ctangus -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 12:22:59 AM)

I suspect this is what you're looking for. Manual, pg. 173:

quote:

Cold Zones during the winter impact
ground units the same way as Malaria Zones (above), with the following added penalties:...

o Ground units unloading at an enemy base/beach or into a non-base hex
with an enemy unit will suffer roughly three times the losses they would
normally suffer.

castor troy -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 9:20:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

quote:

ground units the same way as Malaria Zones (above), with the following added penalties:...

normally suffer.

OH MY GOD! I stand corrected! I appologize! [&o] The manual clearly states that invasions in winter in cold zones do affect invasions! Now everything is clear! Thanks ctangus! Now I also know why my first invasion got cut down with 95% disablements with only 40% preparation. This time 100% prepped and 73% disabled.

Funny thing is that all people who told me the reason for 95% was small arms fire, the highly fortified enemy....

LOL, it was the weather....

Adnan Meshuggi -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 10:50:06 AM)

i think, weather should have a significant influence.

just think about d-day... the allies nearly cancel this event cause of bad weather.

So imagine a landing at tarawa in a thunderstorm... no sight, big waves and the landing crafts get nearly sunk just by weather.

You should recive a weather warning (the game should do the weather for the next turn) with an chance of 10-90% truth. So if you try to invade Island X and your forecast say "thunderstorm" you really could be pissed of. Or you delay but the sun shines... like in real war.
The effect should not be devasting (only with blizzard/thunderstorm) , but local weather should have allways have influence...

just my 2 cents

John Lansford -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 1:55:19 PM)

Having a few typhoons in the summer/fall months would make life interesting too...

Mistmatz -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 2:17:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus

quote:

normally suffer.

OH MY GOD! I stand corrected! I appologize! [&o] The manual clearly states that invasions in winter in cold zones do affect invasions! Now everything is clear! Thanks ctangus! Now I also know why my first invasion got cut down with 95% disablements with only 40% preparation. This time 100% prepped and 73% disabled.

Funny thing is that all people who told me the reason for 95% was small arms fire, the highly fortified enemy....

LOL, it was the weather....

quote:

ding at an enemy base/beach or into a non-base hex
with an enemy unit will suffer roughly three times

Actually if I understand the quote correctly it's not the weather (which changes daily) but the time of the year (winter) and the zone were you are trying to land (cold, malaria). Nothing is said about thunderstorms and the like.

Nevertheless the manual talks about a weather forecast per each hex (if I understand it correctly) in addition to the nine weather zones. I just checked som 50 or so hexes but couldn't find a difference in the hexes to the forecat of the zone. Is this feature just not implemented or are the chances for a difference just that low?

castor troy -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 2:19:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adnan Meshuggi

i think, weather should have a significant influence.

just think about d-day... the allies nearly cancel this event cause of bad weather.

So imagine a landing at tarawa in a thunderstorm... no sight, big waves and the landing crafts get nearly sunk just by weather.

You should recive a weather warning (the game should do the weather for the next turn) with an chance of 10-90% truth. So if you try to invade Island X and your forecast say "thunderstorm" you really could be pissed of. Or you delay but the sun shines... like in real war.
The effect should not be devasting (only with blizzard/thunderstorm) , but local weather should have allways have influence...

just my 2 cents

absolutely correct, I just couldnīt imagine (and never thought of) that WITP weather influences WITP invasions. Itīs clear that real life weather influences real life invasions.

Widell -> RE: Does weather influence invasions in WITP (4/15/2008 9:14:53 PM)

http://witp.kodapa.com/index.php?title=Combined_Arms%2C_Miscellaneous#Weather_Effects for some more details on weather.....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI