Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

gladiatt -> Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/15/2008 7:43:09 PM)

Having some ships in repair yards, i wonder if players have found a trick to choose repair priority : of course sending the ship in a port without a repair-yard could make it...but is there a trick like putting ships in a docked TF and others ships out of a TF ? And if so, wich would be repair first ?

Or may be i'm just asking tooooooo much questions and i should just wait to see wich ship get out of repair first [:'(]

Mike Solli -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/15/2008 7:45:31 PM)

There currently is no way to prioritize ship repair.  Wait until AE, you can do it there.

Mike Solli -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/15/2008 7:46:28 PM)

Actually, there is a way, but not by any buttons.  If you want a certain ship to be repaired, make sure it's the only ship with any damage in the hex.

gladiatt -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/15/2008 8:42:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Actually, there is a way, but not by any buttons. If you want a certain ship to be repaired, make sure it's the only ship with any damage in the hex.

Yes, that was the only evident answer, but it sound silly, just imagine the Boss of the shipyard talking to the captain of a damaged ship "Ok guy, so you're going to get a ride on sea for a while, so i can work on the ship i prefer !!!"[:D]
Ok thanks anyway for the indication about AE (should have wait this game)

Gem35 -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 12:55:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

quote:

Actually, there is a way, but not by any buttons. If you want a certain ship to be repaired, make sure it's the only ship with any damage in the hex.

Yes, that was the only evident answer, but it sound silly, just imagine the Boss of the shipyard talking to the captain of a damaged ship "Ok guy, so you're going to get a ride on sea for a while, so i can work on the ship i prefer !!!"[:D]
Ok thanks anyway for the indication about AE (should have wait this game)

You will still need your copy of WitP to play AE, it's first expansion.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 12:58:47 AM)

After many, many turns I have come to the conclusion that ship repair is not much accelerated (if at all) by being the only ship in port with damage.  Things such as naval HQ and of course port size seem to be the biggest factors.

USSAmerica -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 2:55:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

After many, many turns I have come to the conclusion that ship repair is not much accelerated (if at all) by being the only ship in port with damage.  Things such as naval HQ and of course port size seem to be the biggest factors.

This would really only have an impact on eating up shipyard repair points at a port. I'm pretty sure every ship that is damaged at a port will make a repair roll, modified by the port size, Naval HQ, AR's present, etc.

gladiatt -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 9:02:50 AM)

Well, it would mean everything is about luck. Of course the ships will all be repaired, but as "First Big Admiral of the Whole Fleet" ([:D] ) i would have like to say "ok, guys, keep the BB for later, i need this CVL now !".
For the speed, i was supposing number of repair points, supply in port, HQ or others duty help a bit;

Mike Solli -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 1:57:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: niceguy2005

This would really only have an impact on eating up shipyard repair points at a port. I'm pretty sure every ship that is damaged at a port will make a repair roll, modified by the port size, Naval HQ, AR's present, etc.

Yup, what Mike says is right. I assign certain ports to certain ship types. I have a sub repair port, DD repair port, etc. where I have AS and AD assets respectively, in addition to ARs.

Certain ports with large repair facilities are reserved for capital ships when needed. Most of the smaller ports have all the extra damaged AKs and APs that'll wait for openings in the better ports. It's a constant shuffle of these ships to the better repair facilities as they are freed from their primary mission.

rtrapasso -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 2:06:57 PM)

If one works through the math - having as many ships as possible in a port increases OVERALL ship repair efficiency (i.e. - the total number of combined SYS, or even combined SYSxDUR increases), but the likelihood of any ONE ship getting repaired goes down... this is especially true of larger ships. i've tracked this in actual games as well.

So, if you are just concerned about your overall fleet - put as many as possible damaged ships into your large ports.

If you are trying to get ONE ship repaired, it is probably best to just have that 1 ship in a port to concentrate upon.

John Lansford -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 5:32:25 PM)

I've found that having one damaged ship in a port (and none in a docked TF either!) will definitely result in that ship being repaired, but it won't speed up the process at all.  The port and shipyard repair processes operate separately from each other, so the port may repair a point or two of damage while the shipyard does nothing, or vice versa.  I've seen entire TF's of ships with 5-15 SYS damage each get repaired down to 0-3 SYS in a month of turns, and I've also seen one ship just sit there for a month with no repairs at all.

I do have a question about the repair process, though.  The manual says that shipyard points are "spent" to repair SYS damage on a ship equal to that ship's durability.  If, for example, San Francisco has 750 shipyard points to spend, and three CA's are damaged (each with 100 durability), is it possible that the shipyard would spend points on all three ships in one turn, or does the shipyard only repair one ship per turn no matter how many points are present?

Mike Solli -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 5:36:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford
I've also seen one ship just sit there for a month with no repairs at all.

John,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a comment for the above comment. If you see this happen, put the ship into a TF and immediately disband it back into the port. That often jumpstarts the repair process for the ship. Not sure if it really works, but it's worth a shot. Some people in the forum swear by it. I tend to do that to all the damaged ships about once a game week or so.

Gem35 -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 5:36:42 PM)

quote:

I've found that having one damaged ship in a port (and none in a docked TF either!) will definitely result in that ship being repaired, but it won't speed up the process at all.  The port and shipyard repair processes operate separately from each other, so the port may repair a point or two of damage while the shipyard does nothing, or vice versa.  I've seen entire TF's of ships with 5-15 SYS damage each get repaired down to 0-3 SYS in a month of turns, and I've also seen one ship just sit there for a month with no repairs at all.

I do have a question about the repair process, though.  The manual says that shipyard points are "spent" to repair SYS damage on a ship equal to that ship's durability.  If, for example, San Francisco has 750 shipyard points to spend, and three CA's are damaged (each with 100 durability), is it possible that the shipyard would spend points on all three ships in one turn, or does the shipyard only repair one ship per turn no matter how many points are present?

Your last question about SF shipyard and the three CA's, yes if they all passed their "rolls" or whatnot. I have seen multiple capitol ships getting points the same turn just not very often.

rtrapasso -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 5:42:06 PM)

quote:

Your description of how things works doesn't jibe with what other people have discovered...

i think the way it was described was the ship has a chance to be repaired based on the shipyard size... if it passes, SYS decreases by one.

Then, the REPAIR yard also has a chance (die roll) to decrease damage - so there is a chance that another SYS will repair. Then the total repair points decrease by DUR of the ship.

i have not verified this personally, however. i suspect there is also another separate roll of the repair yard separate from what is mentioned above.

You have a chance to repair multiple ships in one turn in the repair yard.

If you have a ship that doesn't repair for a month, there is a bug that can cause this (sometimes) - i suggest you form ship into a TF, then disband it into the port... this can cause the "loop" the program has to be broken, and the ship can start to repair.

USSAmerica -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 6:02:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

Your last question about SF shipyard and the three CA's, yes if they all passed their "rolls" or whatnot. I have seen multiple capitol ships getting points the same turn just not very often.

Yes, just a turn or two ago, I had 3 BB's each repair a point of sys damage at SF. I will regularly see 2 of them repair a point in a day. I have been keeping all other damaged ships out of the hex, or in TF's that are "Undocked", so all of the shipyard point spending goes toward these big boys.

USSAmerica -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 6:04:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

I've also seen one ship just sit there for a month with no repairs at all.

John,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a comment for the above comment. If you see this happen, put the ship into a TF and immediately disband it back into the port. That often jumpstarts the repair process for the ship. Not sure if it really works, but it's worth a shot. Some people in the forum swear by it. I tend to do that to all the damaged ships about once a game week or so.

Thanks for this tip, Mike. I have a couple of ships that have not progressed for a few weeks that I am going to try this with. [:)]

niceguy2005 -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 6:58:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

If one works through the math - having as many ships as possible in a port increases OVERALL ship repair efficiency (i.e. - the total number of combined SYS, or even combined SYSxDUR increases), but the likelihood of any ONE ship getting repaired goes down... this is especially true of larger ships. i've tracked this in actual games as well.

So, if you are just concerned about your overall fleet - put as many as possible damaged ships into your large ports.

If you are trying to get ONE ship repaired, it is probably best to just have that 1 ship in a port to concentrate upon.

This is actually the strategy I follow...at least for the most part. I send my damaged ships to certain predetermined large ports and I don't worry about other ships damaged there...except subs - for some reason it seems damaged subs get priority and take forever to repair, so I always reserve one port just for them. ALso, I reserve San Francisco for emergency repairs. If I have a damaged CV I need repaired fast I send it there and make sure it is the only damaged ship in port, to maximize the ship repair facilities.

John Lansford -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 7:19:06 PM)

The problem with using SF to repair damage on critical ships (usually CV's but IMO AP's too) is that every single transport/supply TF that shows up at that base tries to dock, and a docked TF will become a candidate for shipyard repair.  I've seen ships in a docked TF repair below SYS 5 and repair points were used, so it wasn't the usual port repair work being done on them.

If I have a ship I simply MUST get repaired ASAP (it's usually Saratoga...), I put her in SF and then have to zealously guard the port from all those TF's wanting to return there.  Problem is, LA and the other WC ports cannot generate enough supply to keep sending supply to multiple advance bases; SF can but then the docked TF's getting repaired kicks in again.  I end up going through all those TF's and "undocking" them while they are loading supplies...

Gem35 -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 7:22:14 PM)

quote:

The problem with using SF to repair damage on critical ships (usually CV's but IMO AP's too) is that every single transport/supply TF that shows up at that base tries to dock, and a docked TF will become a candidate for shipyard repair.  I've seen ships in a docked TF repair below SYS 5 and repair points were used, so it wasn't the usual port repair work being done on them.

If I have a ship I simply MUST get repaired ASAP (it's usually Saratoga...), I put her in SF and then have to zealously guard the port from all those TF's wanting to return there.  Problem is, LA and the other WC ports cannot generate enough supply to keep sending supply to multiple advance bases; SF can but then the docked TF's getting repaired kicks in again.  I end up going through all those TF's and "undocking" them while they are loading supplies...

As long as those AKs are not disbanded they wont use up repair shipyard points, only if you disband them and put them in anchor will they use up the ports' shipyards.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 7:33:04 PM)

quote:

I've found that having one damaged ship in a port (and none in a docked TF either!) will definitely result in that ship being repaired, but it won't speed up the process at all. The port and shipyard repair processes operate separately from each other, so the port may repair a point or two of damage while the shipyard does nothing, or vice versa. I've seen entire TF's of ships with 5-15 SYS damage each get repaired down to 0-3 SYS in a month of turns, and I've also seen one ship just sit there for a month with no repairs at all.

I do have a question about the repair process, though. The manual says that shipyard points are "spent" to repair SYS damage on a ship equal to that ship's durability. If, for example, San Francisco has 750 shipyard points to spend, and three CA's are damaged (each with 100 durability), is it possible that the shipyard would spend points on all three ships in one turn, or does the shipyard only repair one ship per turn no matter how many points are present?

I am currently playing a boring game against the AI that allows me to do a week or two of turns in an afternoon. This has been great for observing ship repair. I think playing PBEMs where you only do a few turns over a weeks time makes certain observations difficult.

The port and repair yards seem to operate separately and port repair is a much greater contributor to repair than are repair shipyards. I have Lexington at 99 Sys damage sitting at Darwin, a size 6 port. She had 5 points repaired in just two weeks. Ships of similar size in larger ports with repair yards are hardly repairing faster.

In the manual I found an estimate for off map repair, theoretically, it might make a good estimate for any ship repair.
quote:

System Damage * (2 + ( ( rnd (20) + ship durability) / 20 ) ) + round trip time

Lastly, I saw some posts suggesting that there is a repair bug and that forming and disbanding ships back into port might reset the ships to jump start repair. I will say that I have seen situations where ships do seem to sit in port an unreasonably long time without repair...it does look symptomatic of a bug. I can say with great confidence though that I find no evidence to suggest that forming and disbanding TFs will jump start the process and in fact I find that the ships will again begin repair at some point without doing this. I have seen no correlation between disbanding ships and jump starting repair. Still, if it makes one feel better, there's no harm done.

rtrapasso -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 7:42:16 PM)

quote:

Lastly, I saw some posts suggesting that there is a repair bug and that forming and disbanding ships back into port might reset the ships to jump start repair. I will say that I have seen situations where ships do seem to sit in port an unreasonably long time without repair...it does look symptomatic of a bug. I can say with great confidence though that I find no evidence to suggest that forming and disbanding TFs will jump start the process and in fact I find that the ships will again begin repair at some point without doing this. I have seen no correlation between disbanding ships and jump starting repair. Still, if it makes one feel better, there's no harm done.

i HAVE seen a problem (at least in the past) - i had a BB repair 2 points in >6 months (during the first week only)... i posted the question and Mr. Frag gave the solution mentioned. After disbanding, the ship immediately started repairing.

i calculated the probabilities of this happening by chance (based on the repair rate of similar BBs) and it was 1 chance in several 10's of millions, iirc.

John Lansford -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 8:50:09 PM)

Actually, docked TF's will eat up shipyard repair points too. After hearing the comments about how the only good way to get a particular ship repaired was to empty the port of all damaged ships but the one you wanted repaired, I did exactly that in SF. I took all the SC's that had become "damaged" due to refitting and put them in a TF, docked.

They all promptly began getting repaired at a fantastic rate; this was probably a dozen or more SC's with SYS of 11-15, but they rapidly repaired down to less than 10 within two weeks or so. Meanwhile, the two ships I had in port that were damaged did not lose ANY system damage at all, but repair points WERE being used during this time.

Eventually all the SC's repaired to 0 SYS while docked, and the two capital ships remained with SYS damage around 30-35 (about where they started). I noticed whenever the SC TF was undocked and left that way, they continued to repair but at a slower rate, while the capital ships in port began repairing and shipyard points were still being used.

I've concluded that damaged ships in a docked TF will become candidates for shipyard repair along with disbanded ships, so I undock every TF in a port with a shipyard if there's damaged ships in there. Since I started doing that I noticed that the disbanded ships repair faster than when TF's are docked there.

USSAmerica -> RE: Is there a way to choose wich ship to repair? (4/16/2008 9:47:41 PM)

quote:

I've concluded that damaged ships in a docked TF will become candidates for shipyard repair along with disbanded ships, so I undock every TF in a port with a shipyard if there's damaged ships in there. Since I started doing that I noticed that the disbanded ships repair faster than when TF's are docked there.

In a recent thread, much evidence was presented to support this. I've started putting all of my damaged ships that I do not want to use Shipyard Repair points on into TF's, and then Undocking them, and just as importantly, setting Patrol/Do Not Retire for the TF. If you leave Retire allowed and undock the TF, it will dock again during the turn resolution and draw on your repair points.

It also seems that even ships in TF's that are undocked in a base hex can have repairs aided by the port size.

I have seen good repair results for my BB's in SF in the last several turns, after I started following this advice. I'm sold. [8D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI