FREE download from Matrix (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Feinder -> FREE download from Matrix (4/15/2008 8:28:31 PM)

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/news.asp?nid=501

I just noticed this rolling across the top of the forum. A free download for their War Engine (I guess it's a generic wargame creation kit?).

Yeah, I know, there is no sentient life beyond War in the Pacific, but "free" usually gets my attention...

-F-

USSAmerica -> RE: FREE download from Matrix (4/15/2008 10:17:40 PM)

Anyone have any experience with this, or opinions?

goodboyladdie -> RE: FREE download from Matrix (4/15/2008 10:22:30 PM)

I downloaded it in case it wasn't free tomorrow. I shall have a look next time I am turnless...

Nemo121 -> RE: FREE download from Matrix (4/15/2008 11:30:52 PM)

It is well worth downloading. Boku are, IMO, highly under-rated developers and I played around with this when it was first out about half a decade ago. Even came up with a half-decent WW2 mod for it...

In a bit of related news I simply cannot recommend their Horses and Musket series highly enough. It has a simple control system and enough randomness that you have to plan ahead BUT ( and this is the key ) the one lesson it teaches is to keep your options open as long as possible and then to commit everything ruthlessly en masse. And it does this in a much starker, more obvious way than most other wargames on the market. If you are looking to really, really learn how to judge your committments and time them appropriately in an unforgiving environment ( something which I think most of us could do with ) then you really could do an awful lot worse than Horses and Muskets.

I really think it was a terribly overlooked game which can really help people identify and improve upon their flaws in judgement and timing. It really captures that whole OODA dynamic.

GaryChildress -> RE: FREE download from Matrix (4/16/2008 3:22:41 AM)

Thanks Feinder! I didn't see this. It looks sort of interesting on the face of it. I remember it originally coming out years ago but never purchased it when it did. I'll see what I missed out on.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI