New game - willing to host (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Opponents Wanted

MitchLedford -> New game - willing to host (4/27/2008 6:17:00 PM)

I would be interested in hosting a new game. I am new to playing online so I would like to benefit from others experiences as to options (see some of the other threads for examples)

I have also never used the GAP tool before so the first turn might be a bit of a learning experience.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

---Mitch

JanSorensen -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/27/2008 8:04:29 PM)

Hi Mitch,

I would like to join the game.

I played EiA a few times 20 years ago but have no experience playing it PBEM. I have played other games PBEM though.
I have no set opinion on options. I will take a closer look and post my suggestions later.

Its my understanding that GAP works less well because it does not allow a diplomatic phase between assigning nations and making pre-game DoWs. If possible I think its better if you as the host send your bids to an outside party to hold followed by the rest of us sending our bids to you.

MortenG -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/27/2008 8:40:06 PM)

Hi

I would like to join, I have palyed a lot a EiA the boardgame, and I'm playing one email game right now, but I would like to join this also.

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/27/2008 11:41:26 PM)

Ok... I had downloaded GAP but I have no problem with sending bids to the outside email either. I have no problem with beginners either as I am one! this will be I think a learning experience for many of us. I have played the board game, and the only thing that stood out is that the number of VPs needed to win did not change if you clicked the economic manipulation option (meaning that the game is shorter if you allow that option.)

--M

IrishGuards -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/28/2008 2:07:00 AM)

OK .. send me an email pls
tjanderson@rogers.com
IDG

JanSorensen -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/28/2008 10:20:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MitchLedford
Ok... I had downloaded GAP but I have no problem with sending bids to the outside email either.

Unless someone else minds the use of GAP I am fine with using it. I believe the only shortcoming is that it makes it harder to make a pre-game DoW as there is no diplomatic phase between assigning major powers and making pre-game dows. I am fine with that limitation though - I actually prefer to leave DoWs to happen during play rather than during setup.

I assume you will be posting which version we use once enough players are ready. Currently it would probably be 1.02j.

I am sending my email to you by PM. Feel free to send it to the other players but please do not post it publicly - I try to avoid the spam that might generate.

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/28/2008 4:17:47 PM)

Only 3 more to go!

rod -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/30/2008 11:31:55 AM)

I would allso like to join.

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (4/30/2008 1:57:03 PM)

2 more to go.

So far we have

MitchLedford
rod
JanSorensen
IrishGuards
MortenG

let me know if I have missed anyone ;-)

vicberg -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/1/2008 5:58:30 AM)

I'm up for it...

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/1/2008 4:12:02 PM)

1 more to go.

So far we have

MitchLedford
rod
JanSorensen
IrishGuards
MortenG
vicberg

DavidFaust -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 12:58:39 AM)

im up for a game

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 5:54:13 AM)

So we have seven players:

MitchLedford
rod
JanSorensen
IrishGuards
MortenG
vicberg
kingtiger_501

can each of you email me to confirm that you are each still playing. Once I have verified that everyone is playing, then we can start the bidding process. Also, it is unclear to me whether the consensus is that we use GAP or that we use JanSorensen's suggestion. Please let me know what your preferences are.

---Mitch

JanSorensen -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 9:01:37 AM)

I am fine either way - GAP or no GAP - just dont cheat and view our bids before making your own :)

I also suggest that everyone reads the thread about "gamey" tactics and that we avoid the worst of those even if they are possible. I am not experienced enough to suggest a set of things to avoid but I sure would hate to see the game be played too cheesily. I know - its all subjective for some situations so I am not going to worry about the small things.

Sending you an email as well.

Thanks for taking the time to set this up.

DavidFaust -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 9:25:22 AM)

Your email add?

kingtiger_501@yahoo.com.au

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 4:17:42 PM)

We also need to choose the options. My comments on each are listed below.  I have them in 2 categories. The first are those that I consider to have a minor effect on the game.  What I mean by that is that they may make me bid a lot more for one country than another (such as Lille crossing arrow) but that they don't alter the way the game plays.  The second list are those that make the game playable/unplayable.  I would like the advice of those who have played the game before so that we can judiciously choose those.  

Minor Options:
I would note that if you pick all of these that benefit, say France (guard, economic manipulation, leader casualties, etc.) then it is hard to bid with a 30 point ceiling to the bids.  I think that economic manipulation, plus the 30 point ceiling, would produce a dice-off for France so I would recommend not using it. Other than that, I don't really care which of these we use.... I have suggested options for each but I can certainly see someone else's point of view...

Winter Land Movement - enabled
Guard Commitment - enabled
Economic Manipulation - disabled
Great Britain and France Start at war - enabled
Leader casualties - disabled
Privateers - enabled
Use Lille crossing arrow - enabled

Major Options
Allow PBEM host GA functions - I presume that this must be enabled? 
allow option changes during game - This looks like a horrible vehicle for cheating.... disabled?
Third party combat system - this is in here for minatures?  ... disabled?
PBEM hotseat passwords - I presume this must be enabled?
PBEM quick combat ... should this be enabled or disabled? Thoughts?
Fog of War... enabled?

bresh -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 4:33:44 PM)

quote:

We also need to choose the options. My comments on each are listed below.  I have them in 2 categories. The first are those that I consider to have a minor effect on the game.  What I mean by that is that they may make me bid a lot more for one country than another (such as Lille crossing arrow) but that they don't alter the way the game plays.  The second list are those that make the game playable/unplayable.  I would like the advice of those who have played the game before so that we can judiciously choose those.  

Minor Options:
I would note that if you pick all of these that benefit, say France (guard, economic manipulation, leader casualties, etc.) then it is hard to bid with a 30 point ceiling to the bids.  I think that economic manipulation, plus the 30 point ceiling, would produce a dice-off for France so I would recommend not using it. Other than that, I don't really care which of these we use.... I have suggested options for each but I can certainly see someone else's point of view...

Privateers - enabled

Major Options
Allow PBEM host GA functions - I presume that this must be enabled? 
allow option changes during game - This looks like a horrible vehicle for cheating.... disabled?
Third party combat system - this is in here for minatures?  ... disabled?
PBEM hotseat passwords - I presume this must be enabled?
PBEM quick combat ... should this be enabled or disabled? Thoughts?
Fog of War... enabled?

Bit odd point about GAP.
So you prefer someone bidding 9999+ over having max bids at 30 ?

Using GAP you dont roll the die, GAP is taking care of equal bids. All host(or someone not in game) does is load bids into his gap.

You could check average bids for games (not sure how many games where included).
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1641790

Regards
Bresh

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/2/2008 5:18:03 PM)

There should certainly be a max bid, my point is that if the max is 30 and you use economic manipulation, then a very good bid for France that several people are likely to make is 30, resulting in France being chosen randomly. I am not criticizing the limit so much as the econonic manipulation option.

Also, I am new to the PBEM version, so perhaps it isn't as easy to stay in the dominant zone the whole game as France as it is in the board game.

---M

DavidFaust -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 4:02:42 AM)

quote:

Privateers - enabled

My changes from above

Economic Manipulation - enabled
Privateers - disabled

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 4:43:40 AM)

So at this point we have:

Winter Land Movement - 2 for
Guard Commitment - 2 for
Economic Manipulation - 1 for, 1 against
Great Britain and France Start at war - 2 for
Leader casualties -2 against
Privateers - 1 for, 1 against
Use Lille crossing arrow - 2 for

JanSorensen -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 8:30:28 AM)

My view:
Econ Manipulation disabled
Privateers disabled

PBEM quick combat disabled (it may take longer but I prefer the fun of making battle decisions as the defender also)
FoW disabled (I admit not being certain exactly what FoW entails in this game but I like playing with full information in particular because I not experienced with EiANW and hence want to learn)

The rest I agree with.

MortenG -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 9:08:23 AM)

My opion is:

Leader Casualities disable (I once played a game where Charles died in 1806 :(
Econ manipulation enable (very hard to play Turkey and England in peace, when they need money and manpower)
Pidding Cap on, 30 is fine

timewalker03 -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 1:18:15 PM)

One suggestion to whomever is hosting this game. Make backups for each country at the end of each month. When the Bugs creep up be ready to jump to a point where the game was working. I am in 3 PBEM games that are on hold because of bugs and one we went through 10 backups in 3 months. Just FYI

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 3:05:16 PM)

thank you for the heads up, timewalker03.... does everyone need to back up or just the host?

rod -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/3/2008 9:27:20 PM)

Sorry guys but cant join game afterall, a old game im in was dead, but starting up again, and dont think i have enough time for this one allso, sorry again

vicberg -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/7/2008 5:23:02 AM)

Assuming this game is going to get off the ground, we need one more player. One just dropped out.

NeverMan -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/7/2008 7:01:28 AM)

quote:

There should certainly be a max bid, my point is that if the max is 30 and you use economic manipulation, then a very good bid for France that several people are likely to make is 30, resulting in France being chosen randomly. I am not criticizing the limit so much as the econonic manipulation option.

Also, I am new to the PBEM version, so perhaps it isn't as easy to stay in the dominant zone the whole game as France as it is in the board game.

---M

Mitch, I tend to agree. I don't think 30 is a very high bid for France, in fact, back in the day I would be pretty happy getting France or GB with a 30. We used to play with a max bid of 40, which I think is more reasonable because we also always played with Econ Manip.

MitchLedford -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/7/2008 3:24:14 PM)

We do need one more player.

DavidFaust -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/9/2008 11:47:46 AM)

Hi guys

I bought this game when it 1st came and after reading about the bugs in the forum it seem that this game falls well behind whats needed to make it a enjoyable and playable expierence. I have decide its best to drop out of this game and try my luck in another 6 months time and hope it has improved.

Sorry for this

vicberg -> RE: New game - willing to host (5/9/2008 7:48:08 PM)

Mitch,

You might want to post a separate thread that we need two more players, now that another one has dropped out. I don't think many people are going to wade through all these threads to find out we need more players.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI